Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

This weekend, the Polish team that I'm working with faced a team from Austria that had a teammate of Bohringer's from the Unicorns, Patrick Donahue (also got an invite to Packers camp).  Boy was he something else to watch up close.

One of the people helping to impart knowledge to the rookie wide receiver DJ Moore is a player he could find himself competing against for playing time. The Panthers signed Jarius Wright to a three-year deal this offseason and Wright comes to Carolina with more than two years of time in Turner’s system under his belt. Wright played for the Vikings when Turner was the offensive coordinator in Minnesota and his time with the coach has left him confident that he knows all there is to know about the offense.

Wright: “I feel I could teach Norv Turner’s offense to a baby. I know every aspect of it. I know how he wants everything run. If Norv forgets something, he can just come ask me.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/01/jarius-wright-i-could-teach-norv-turners-offense-to-a-baby/

or is it just that a baby could learn it...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

it’s hard to justify keeping a #5 receiver who doesn’t play special teams. 

Agreed, but the Panthers gave him a $2M signing bonus and his base salary is only $800k so I think they keep him around; his knowledge of the system may keep him higher than WR5 while the other guys are learning the system.

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

He might have to teach it to babies. After drafting D.J. Moore, it’s hard to see Wright any higher on the depth chart than WR5. And it’s hard to justify keeping a #5 receiver who doesn’t play special teams. 

This is the Carolina Panthers wide receiver group we're talking about.  Jarius Wright is the #1 WR in that group. :D

Something is happening that a lot of us thought should happen with this player...

Boehringer joins the Bengals as a tight end, according to the team. He has a better shot at sticking this time around thanks to a roster exemption for an 11th practice squad player made available to AFC North teams as part of the Pathways program. He's also guaranteed an entire training camp as part of the program.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930856/article/moritz-boehringer-added-to-cincinnati-bengals-roster?campaign=fb-nf-sf188410675-sf188410675&sf188410675=1&utm_source=m.facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Norv’s offense is not difficult to learn, particularly for wide receivers. I don’t know where that notion comes from. 

Quote from a former Turner player:

His is not that difficult to learn, but it's a complicated offense. He runs the route formations and combinations to where it confuses defenses, but the offenses seem to catch on to it quickly."

• Like 1

Turner has a very good offense, when it has the right pieces. 

But the problem is getting those pieces. For Turner’s offense to truly be effective, it needs a dominating offensive line. His route combinations and seven step drops take so long to develop, you need an o-line that can consistently allow that to happen. And with the decline in o-lone play as a whole around the league, Turner’s offense just can’t seem to make the adjustment.