Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

If either of you (@Virginia Viking @vike daddy) get a chance and have IHeartRadio (or you can just go to KFAN.com itself I believe), Dan Barreiro had an hour-long conversation with Bud earlier this week...it was absolutely fantastic.  He told stories about his Minneapolis Lakers days, his time with Paul Brown...etc...and he absolutely tore apart Lombardi...and Paul Flatley.  :D

Edited by disaacs

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

If either of you (@Virginia Viking @vike daddy) get a chance and have IHeartRadio (or you can just go to KFAN.com itself I believe), Dan Barreiro had an hour-long conversation with Bud earlier this week...it was absolutely fantastic.  He told stories about his Minneapolis Lakers days, his time with Paul Brown...etc...and he absolutely tore apart Lombardi...and Paul Flatley.  :D

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The-Dan-Barreiro-Show-26981004/episode/interview-bud-grant-with-dan-barreiro-29330033/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I remember his ice blue eyes that never seemed to even blink.  He was always completely aware of everything happening on the field...on the sideline...in the stands...in the booth...and at the beer stand!!!  

the thing about Bud's style of coaching that the young punks may not know is that he was a delegator, he had enormous trust in his offensive and defensive coordinators and let them run the show at gametime. what Bud would do is... study the game, study the opponent. and then make a key suggestion or two that he felt could tip the balance.

the punks have to remember that in the old NFL points came at a premium, there were a lot of 13-9 scores and such back then. scoring points and holding opponents' points back was more crucial than it is today.

23r1r3r.jpg

The two Vikings years for Jan Stenerud were short in comparison to the Hall of Famer’s 19 pro seasons, but the connections were strong and remain deep. Stenerud visited Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center on Thursday when he was in Minnesota to speak at an event in honor of Norwegian Constitution Day, an annual celebration of Norway declaring its independence at Eidsvoll on May 17, 1814.

As Stenerud toured the sparkling new Vikings headquarters, he chatted with Vikings punter Ryan Quigley, kicker Kai Forbath and equipment manager Dennis Ryan outside Minnesota’s new locker room. Stenerud then made it up to the level where the coaches offices and personnel department are for a quick interview with Vikings.com. The Norway native explained how he came to the United States to compete in ski jump and cross-country skiing at Montana State when fate directed him toward football. 

Stenerud:  “It was fun for me to be here, even if it was a short visit. I was very happy to play here for a couple of years. There was a group right behind the goal post, every home game, I have no idea who made the sign, it was probably 30-40 feet wide, it said, ‘Jan, han kan gjore det.’ It means ‘Jan, he can do it.’ ”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Jan-Stenerud-Reconnects-with-Deep-Vikings-Ties/3ce7f329-1f7c-4687-950f-ab54c1b732ea?sf189861382=1

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

As the Lions progress through the offseason training program, the offensive linemen are learning new ways to do things with the addition of new o-line coaches Jeff Davidson and Hank Fraley (assistant).  

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/New-o-line-coaches-bringing-a-unique-perspective-to-Lions/0702ea7d-dc63-4bd3-aa96-5a01caf9df5c

Is it deliberate that the writer didn't mention at all that both of them worked here together?  :D

Edited by disaacs

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan likes throwing passes to his running backs, and Jerick McKinnon should be a beneficiary of that this season. McKinnon, signed in free agency this offseason, was the most prolific receiver on the field at Organized Team Activities on Tuesday, according to the Sacramento Bee. The 49ers appear to want to get McKinnon comfortable catching passes out of the backfield from Jimmy Garoppolo right away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/49ers-plan-to-throw-plenty-of-passes-to-jerick-mckinnon/

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/nfl-s-new-rule-against-kneeling-during-anthem-shows-owners-ncna877096

Chris Kluwe has weighed in on the national anthem issue and the NFL team owners' capitulation, as he sees it. well... "groveling" was the term he used.

it's in typical Kluwe prose, which means it violates a few of FF's boundaries, but is available at the link above.

Some people just don't care to have every social and political issue shoved in our face every day. We get it all week. Football is supposed to an escape. They want to protest against police brutality which is fine but what does it do other than piss off both sides of the argument. Instead of building that playground on Friday or whatever community project they get volunteered for they need to be in police headquarters discussing the issues and finding a resolution. If I have an issue with you I'm not going to a house down the street and complain about you. I'm going to knock on your front door and talk to you face to face.

There are bad people out there in powerful positions and they represent every color. They are in all jobs. It doesn't take much to become a police officer. Maybe that needs to change a little. As much as they complain about the police those men and women see more and are forced to do more than any other profession. They walk in on some of the most heinous crimes. They are very underappreciated imo. Don't just kneel. Come up with an idea to make things better. Kneeling isn't going to fix thinks. It's pissing off those that are trying to pay their respects to those that sacrificed themselves for this country. That moment is meant to honor those men and women.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Don't just kneel. Come up with an idea to make things better. Kneeling isn't going to fix thinks. 

should they march in the streets like the Nazis do?

see my point? Nazis can march because it's within their First Amendment rights of self expression, even if they are openly and enthusiastically expressing hate and bigotry as they do. but silently kneel? oh no, can't do that....

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

should they march in the streets like the Nazis do?

see my point? Nazis can march because it's within their First Amendment rights of self expression, even if they are openly and enthusiastically expressing hate and bigotry as they do. but silently kneel? oh no, can't do that....

Kneel all they want but come up with a solution to help fix all this. I haven't heard of a solution from either side. Meanwhile there are innocent civilians and cops dying.

Nazi's can march. Nation of Islam can march. I'm not going to pay attention to either one. Pretty sure they both eat paint chips.

Nearly two years after his death, Dennis Green is getting paid for services rendered to a long-defunct football league. Via Dale Kasler of the Sacramento Bee, Green’s widow has settled a claim for unpaid wages from the UFL’s Sacramento Mountain Lions.

Green received $1 million for the 2010 season, and the team increased his pay to $1.5 million for 2011. But he received only $510,000. Late in the 2011 season, Green sued the team for unpaid wages. He coached the final two games of the campaign despite not being paid. Green and, subsequently, his estate didn’t quit pursuing justice. It took time and a variety of proceedings, but Green’s widow eventually forced team owner William Hambrecht to pay up. The amount of the settlement was confidential. Here’s hoping that Green’s estate will receive as close to 100 cents on the dollar as possible for what he was owed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/26/dennis-green-finally-gets-justice-from-the-ufl/

Adrian Peterson was asked which teams does he see himself playing for in 2018 and the Packers were one of the few teams he mentioned.

Peterson: "Green Bay wouldn't be a bad look, they're some options out there. You see around the league they have a two-back system. Guys are not pounding the ball 20-30 times a game. I think that leaves the door open for a couple of opportunities for me."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Adrian-Peterson-looks-to-sign-with-Green-Bay-Packers-118544133