Klomp

Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

If either of you (@Virginia Viking @vike daddy) get a chance and have IHeartRadio (or you can just go to KFAN.com itself I believe), Dan Barreiro had an hour-long conversation with Bud earlier this week...it was absolutely fantastic.  He told stories about his Minneapolis Lakers days, his time with Paul Brown...etc...and he absolutely tore apart Lombardi...and Paul Flatley.  :D

Edited by disaacs

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

If either of you (@Virginia Viking @vike daddy) get a chance and have IHeartRadio (or you can just go to KFAN.com itself I believe), Dan Barreiro had an hour-long conversation with Bud earlier this week...it was absolutely fantastic.  He told stories about his Minneapolis Lakers days, his time with Paul Brown...etc...and he absolutely tore apart Lombardi...and Paul Flatley.  :D

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The-Dan-Barreiro-Show-26981004/episode/interview-bud-grant-with-dan-barreiro-29330033/

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I remember his ice blue eyes that never seemed to even blink.  He was always completely aware of everything happening on the field...on the sideline...in the stands...in the booth...and at the beer stand!!!  

the thing about Bud's style of coaching that the young punks may not know is that he was a delegator, he had enormous trust in his offensive and defensive coordinators and let them run the show at gametime. what Bud would do is... study the game, study the opponent. and then make a key suggestion or two that he felt could tip the balance.

the punks have to remember that in the old NFL points came at a premium, there were a lot of 13-9 scores and such back then. scoring points and holding opponents' points back was more crucial than it is today.

23r1r3r.jpg

The two Vikings years for Jan Stenerud were short in comparison to the Hall of Famer’s 19 pro seasons, but the connections were strong and remain deep. Stenerud visited Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center on Thursday when he was in Minnesota to speak at an event in honor of Norwegian Constitution Day, an annual celebration of Norway declaring its independence at Eidsvoll on May 17, 1814.

As Stenerud toured the sparkling new Vikings headquarters, he chatted with Vikings punter Ryan Quigley, kicker Kai Forbath and equipment manager Dennis Ryan outside Minnesota’s new locker room. Stenerud then made it up to the level where the coaches offices and personnel department are for a quick interview with Vikings.com. The Norway native explained how he came to the United States to compete in ski jump and cross-country skiing at Montana State when fate directed him toward football. 

Stenerud:  “It was fun for me to be here, even if it was a short visit. I was very happy to play here for a couple of years. There was a group right behind the goal post, every home game, I have no idea who made the sign, it was probably 30-40 feet wide, it said, ‘Jan, han kan gjore det.’ It means ‘Jan, he can do it.’ ”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Jan-Stenerud-Reconnects-with-Deep-Vikings-Ties/3ce7f329-1f7c-4687-950f-ab54c1b732ea?sf189861382=1

Edited by vike daddy

As the Lions progress through the offseason training program, the offensive linemen are learning new ways to do things with the addition of new o-line coaches Jeff Davidson and Hank Fraley (assistant).  

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/New-o-line-coaches-bringing-a-unique-perspective-to-Lions/0702ea7d-dc63-4bd3-aa96-5a01caf9df5c

Is it deliberate that the writer didn't mention at all that both of them worked here together?  :D

Edited by disaacs

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan likes throwing passes to his running backs, and Jerick McKinnon should be a beneficiary of that this season. McKinnon, signed in free agency this offseason, was the most prolific receiver on the field at Organized Team Activities on Tuesday, according to the Sacramento Bee. The 49ers appear to want to get McKinnon comfortable catching passes out of the backfield from Jimmy Garoppolo right away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/49ers-plan-to-throw-plenty-of-passes-to-jerick-mckinnon/