Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Norv Turner: “But the one thing that I think when you look at it that we’re going to work hard to help Cam is, he has a large number of games where his quarterback rating is as high as anyone’s is. It’s in the high 90s, low 100s. But in the middle of that, of a 16-game season, he has four or five games where that rating is not very good. And that, obviously, makes your average not as good as you’d like. So what we’re going to try to work hard for is eliminate the peaks and the valleys and try to, on a weekly basis, make it more consistent. And I think that’ll help us, offensively, be more consistent and certainly will help him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/12/norv-turner-were-trying-to-eliminate-cam-newtons-peaks-and-valleys/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Norv Turner: “But the one thing that I think when you look at it that we’re going to work hard to help Cam is, he has a large number of games where his quarterback rating is as high as anyone’s is. It’s in the high 90s, low 100s. But in the middle of that, of a 16-game season, he has four or five games where that rating is not very good. And that, obviously, makes your average not as good as you’d like. So what we’re going to try to work hard for is eliminate the peaks and the valleys and try to, on a weekly basis, make it more consistent. And I think that’ll help us, offensively, be more consistent and certainly will help him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/12/norv-turner-were-trying-to-eliminate-cam-newtons-peaks-and-valleys/

Ah, good ol’ Norv. His departure may have very well been a win/win for the Vikes. I wasn’t a big fan of his coordinating. His departure brought forth Shurmur, who ignited the offense with innovative play calling. Some of Shurmur’s offense will most likely be implemented into Flip’s offense furthering innovation and creativity. 

Norv is old and archaic (I know old; I’m old ;). I really don’t think Carolina did themselves any favors by hiring Good ol’ Norv. Cam will not perform better under Norv; in fact, the only consistency with Cam and Norv will be frustration and unimaginative play calling. Carolina will miss the playoffs this year. Instead, GB or NYG and Shurmur will take their spot.

7 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Some of Shurmur’s offense will most likely be implemented into Flip’s offense furthering innovation and creativity. 

I can't remember, did Shurmur and Flip ever work together in Philly? I know they both came to the Vikings from Philly. Even if they didn't work together they may have both been exposed to some of the same concepts there. On the other hand, the Eagles made a pretty clean break from Chip Kelly so the year to year change may be such that Flip's time there was as different there from Shurmur's as Shurmur's time was from the Childress OC years in Philly.

The Giants made another change to their revamped and evolving offensive line when they signed veteran Zac Kerin and waived veteran Ethan Cooper. Both Kerin and Cooper play the offensive guard position. Kerin was with the Minnesota Vikings in 2015 and 2016 before signing to play with the Detroit Lions last season. Kerin played in 14 NFL games and made one NFL start. New Giants head coach Pat Shurmur is very familiar with Kerin's game after coaching him briefly in 2016 and also watching him within the division during the 2017 season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Giants-sign-offensive-guard-Zac-Kerin-waive-Ethan-Cooper-119765681

• 2 weeks later...

While others might question Mike Tomlin after some of the distractions the Steelers had last season, the only one who matters, General Manager Kevin Colbert, doesn’t agree. On Friday, Colbert vehemently defended Tomlin’s approach, making it clear he backs his head coach.

Colbert: “There’s no concern whatsoever about our team’s attitude, discipline, all that other stuff that gets talked about. Absolutely no concern. Honestly, a lot of that stuff was like made into stuff that really wasn’t a concern. I had no question about our mental preparation, our internal organization, how our team was run. Sure, guys do different things that maybe you don’t like. Coach talks to them about no team business on social media. He does a great job of understanding; coach Tomlin understands a generational player; he understands younger guys. We have to manage what a lot of that stuff is, but a lot of the stuff — the ‘team turmoil,’ a lot of that is nonsense. That wasn’t a concern at all.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/27/steelers-g-m-kevin-colbert-defends-mike-tomlins-approach/