Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

and why is Staubach even nominated for the award? what has he done to equal Page's post football accomplishments?

Exactly!!!  My guess is that they are counting his pre-NFL service in Vietnam, which included his not being captured by the enemy and spending years in a hellish prisoner of war camp!

Edited by Guest

Adrian Peterson: “I’m feeling good. Last week I actually started feeling all the way healthy. My shoulder, I’m back to bench pressing. I hadn’t did that in three weeks. So, I’m back to kind of doing the normal things that I was able to do. My ankle is feeling good. My body is just kind of feeling refreshed. The second half has been a blessing to me. It was a grind the first eight weeks and here now, as I stand in front of you guys, my body is feeling amazing. That’s big considering that we just started the second stretch and we have a big game coming up.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/15/adrian-peterson-says-ankle-shoulder-are-healed-he-feels-amazing/

2u6zfxh.jpg 1zd3s0p.jpg

It seemed fitting that the first public event to honor the memory of Diane Sims Page featured a room full of Page Scholars. Diane, wife of Hall of Fame defensive tackle and retired Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page, passed away on Sept. 29 after a battle with breast cancer. On Wednesday, Diane was honored by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton, who declared Nov. 14, 2018, as Diane Sims Page Day.

Nearly 100 current and former students who have received scholarships from the Page Education Foundation attended the presentation at the University of St. Thomas Wednesday night to honor a woman who has made such an impact on their lives. Merone Melekin, who is Gov. Dayton’s Assistant Chief of Staff of Scheduling, presented the proclamation to Justice Page on behalf of Gov. Dayton, who was unable to attend the event in person. Melekin is also a Page Scholar alum.

Melekin recalled her personal experience with the Page Education Foundation and specifically with Diane. She recounted her first in-person interaction with Diane several years ago. Diane remembered specific details from Melekin’s application, even though thousands of students have passed through the program, and made a personal connection.

https://www.vikings.com/news/gov-dayton-honors-late-wife-of-alan-page-with-diane-sims-page-day?sf202385583=1

Edited by vike daddy

• 2 weeks later...

Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham shared his distaste for the team’s offensive approach in last Sunday’s loss to the Eagles and dealing with outbursts from Beckham has been a regular part of life for Giants coaches over the course of his career. Head coach Pat Shurmur, who came into the job this offseason talking about his desire to learn what makes Beckham tick, took issue with Beckham’s assertions by pointing out how much the Giants threw the ball but otherwise continued to avoid issuing a harsh public response to the latest verbal volley from the wideout.

Radio host Mike Francesa of WFAN had a much harsher take on Beckham to open his show on Tuesday. The rant focused on the Giants’ losing record since Beckham got to the team and Francesa’s belief that Beckham should keep his mouth shut until that changes. Shurmur appeared as a guest later in the program and responded to Francesa saying he and the rest of the Giants brass are too soft on Beckham and other players given the team’s record.

Shurmur: “I wouldn’t say we’re coddling them. We’re not coddling them.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/28/pat-shurmur-were-not-coddling-players/

After spending 12 seasons in the league, former defensive end Jared Allen has found an unusual way to challenge himself -- curling -- with an ultimate goal of winning a spot on the 2022 U.S. Olympic team. So he hooked up with fellow NFL retirees Marc Bulger, Keith Bulluck and Michael Roos for a crash course in learning the sport. The five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman said his curling pursuit began when a friend bet him he couldn't become an Olympic athlete. All he needed to do was find a sport. After considering and then dismissing badminton, he settled on curling. Allen recruited Bulger, Bulluck and Roos -- all three former Pro Bowlers -- who also live in the Nashville area. Allen was able to sell them on the idea of trying to represent the USA at the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing. 

Allen: “We played in the NFL, so we are mentally tough. We are able to move on from things quickly. We are also able to take coaching and push each other without getting our feelings hurt. Hopefully that allows us to catch up to some of these elite players a little quicker.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2018/11/29/former-nfl-player-jared-allen-pursues-olympic-curling-team-spot/2156469002/

@Heimdallr

• Like 2