Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Randy might have been an arrogant putz here and there off the field, but didn't get in to any serious legal trouble (bumping the cop, yeah yeah, but that wasn't serious) and definitely didn't have any drug problems. he was accused once of a domestic violence incident but dealt with it quickly and cleanly, showing it was a made up story that could not be substantiated by the claimant.

the off field stuff won't hurt him one bit.

50 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Randy might have been an arrogant putz here and there off the field, but didn't get in to any serious legal trouble (bumping the cop, yeah yeah, but that wasn't serious) and definitely didn't have any drug problems. he was accused once of a domestic violence incident but dealt with it quickly and cleanly, showing it was a made up story that could not be substantiated by the claimant.

the off field stuff won't hurt him one bit.

I'd like to say that isn't the case, but I guess it would depend upon the voters.  Looking over the list of voters, the great majority of them were around during the early parts of his career...people like Peter King, Howard Balzer, Charean Williams, Sal Paolantonio, Rick Gosselin, Tony Grossi, John McClain, et al, so they all well know about those instances.  It'll depend upon Mark Craig's presentation...as I imagine he's going to be the one presenting the case for Moss.  It also can't help that Dan Fouts and James Lofton are also on the committee...as former players, they know how they would expect HOFers to act...and can be very critical of candidates...as I understand Fouts was really passionately against Terrell Owens this past year or 2...I'm not sure it's going to be much better with Moss.  

Edited by disaacs

46 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I'd like to say that isn't the case, but I guess it would depend upon the voters.  Looking over the list of voters, the great majority of them were around during the early parts of his career...people like Peter King, Howard Balzer, Charean Williams, Sal Paolantonio, Rick Gosselin, Tony Grossi, John McClain, et al, so they all well know about those instances.  It'll depend upon Mark Craig's presentation...as I imagine he's going to be the one presenting the case for Moss.  It also can't help that Dan Fouts and James Lofton are also on the committee...as former players, they know how they would expect HOFers to act...and can be very critical of candidates...as I understand Fouts was really passionately against Terrell Owens this past year or 2...I'm not sure it's going to be much better with Moss.  

Induction Committee: "We induct when we want to induct."

• Like 1

PFT is reporting the the Vikings reached an injury settlement with Datone Jones.

What PFT isn't telling you is that this likely means another 6th round compensatory pick for the Vikings. Jones will not cancel out a Vikings free agent loss.  Additionally, Jones will not count as a qualifying free agent loss for the Packers.  They would receive one less 6th round pick if not for the fact they were already at their max of 4 picks. However, if another of their qualifying free agent losses is cut the Vikings cutting of Jones would contribute to them losing a pick. 

16 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

PFT is reporting the the Vikings reached an injury settlement with Datone Jones.

What PFT isn't telling you is that this likely means another 6th round compensatory pick for the Vikings. Jones will not cancel out a Vikings free agent loss.  Additionally, Jones will not count as a qualifying free agent loss for the Packers.  They would receive one less 6th round pick if not for the fact they were already at their max of 4 picks. However, if another of their qualifying free agent losses is cut the Vikings cutting of Jones would contribute to them losing a pick. 

Do you have a link for this? That's interesting!

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you have a link for this? That's interesting!

I don't know what you are asking for a link for. Where it says that Jones no longer will count as a qualifying free agent gain/loss? It is nothign official, but the evidence is fairly clear on how compensatory picks work. Most of the information came from this blog: http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

I don't want to scroll through to find the original post. It was a couple years ago at least. He points out specific cases that show that players that are cut before week 10 don't count towards the compensatory formula.

Since that time, overthecap has furthered the excellant work published by adamjt13. Read about it here: 

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

If you don't really want all the explanation, just look at the cancellation chart for a quick view of each team's status:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

They are not 100% accurate on the projections yet, but they are pretty good. You can see how they have done in the last few years. They have a very good handle on it. I suggest reading adamjt13's blog entries to see all the work and learning that went into it. He has solid basis for his projections. Overthecap has taken his work and made put together the nice cancellation chart which is what I mostly look at nowadays. I no longer read AdamJT13s blog in anticipation of the projections and explanation of methodology.

Like I said, I am not really sure what the question was that needed a link to answer, but I hope that helps you find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Announced Tuesday, the modern-era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2018 is made up of 108 players and coaches, including 11 first-year eligible players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000844000/article/randy-moss-highlights-108-modernera-nominees-for-hof

The former Vikings making up the list:

QBs Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, Rich Gannon

RBs Roger Craig, Herschel Walker

WR Randy Moss

OL Matt Birk, Steve Hutchinson, Chris Hinton

DL Keith Millard

K Gary Anderson

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Moss and Hutchinson are the only two former Vikings I see making it into the Hall of Fame. Birk is close, but I think he'll be on the fringe, just missing the cut. 

Throw Jim Marshall (hopefully finally) in there too, and we may be looking at playing in the HOF game if two of them get in this year.