Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I remember how relieved we all were here when the Panthers won that bidding war!

There probably hasn't been a more disappointing Vikings' draft pick in the last 20 years...and that includes Treadwell and Cordarrelle.  And the sad thing is, that it was the right choice then...and there really wasn't another choice I would still have made...maybe Kuechly in retrospect, but there isn't much else there from that draft (at least we got Harry)

• Like 2

Just now, swede700 said:

There probably hasn't been a more disappointing Vikings' draft pick in the last 20 years...and that includes Treadwell and Cordarrelle.  And the sad thing is, that it was the right choice then...and there really wasn't another choice I would still have made...maybe Kuechly in retrospect, but there isn't much else there from that draft (at least we got Harry)

The surprising collapse of this pick is certainly one of their issues today. I still don't know how this happened....

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

The surprising collapse of this pick is certainly one of their issues today. I still don't know how this happened....

It just tells you how hard it is to gauge someone's love for the sport.  Kalil just never really had it, despite having the talent.  Even his brother couldn't bring it out of him.  I know the nagging injuries didn't help the matter, but that was only part of his story.  

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Was this a Gettleman signing? Lord knows what he's done to the G-Men.

No, actually it wasn't.  It was post-Gettleman.  

Edit:  Scratch that...it was one of his final moves (he was canned about 4 months after signing Kalil).

Edited by swede700

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It just tells you how hard it is to gauge someone's love for the sport.  Kalil just never really had it, despite having the talent.  Even his brother couldn't bring it out of him.  I know the nagging injuries didn't help the matter, but that was only part of his story.  

I think part of the problem is that the Vikings tried to make Kalil a player that he really wasn't. In his rookie year, he played at 290 to 295 pounds. He held his own against some veteran pass rushers.  The team wanted him "bigger and stronger." As soon as he started to gain weight, his footwork got slower, putting him out of position.  He also began to suffer injury after injury.  I wonder what his career could've been had the Vikings allowed him to develop better technique and kept him at his more natural playing weight for his build.  I see Kalil as a cautionary example for someone like O'Neill who was able to hold his own using his athleticism and technique more than strength.

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Problem is, with his frame, that playing weight would make it hard for him to hold up to a full season’s worth of poundings. 

yeah...I think this is a common assumption that I just don't think there's evidence for.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

yeah...I think this is a common assumption that I just don't think there's evidence for.

Other than the lack of 6'7, less than 300 pound, lineman in the NFL?

Less physical density, less of an ability to withstand a game to game pounding.

-----

There's a reason football strength programs, down to the high school level, start their offseason training with a hypertrophy phase.

Edited by RpMc

It shouldn't be amazing, but it is...it's amazing how long Webb has outlasted Christian Ponder.  This will be Webb's 10th year in the NFL.  He, along with Adrian Peterson (2007), Everson Griffen (same draft as Webb) and John Sullivan (2008, if he signs elsewhere) are the 4 longest lasting players still in the NFL while Spielman has been with the Vikings.  They are followed by Kyle Rudolph and Brandon Fusco (currently in Atlanta) from the 2011 Draft.