Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes with Keenum were carried by an elite defense that year. The Vikes with Favre had an elite offense. I think it’s pretty clear who did more for their team or who was carrying who. The Vikes with Favre crushed the Cowboys in the playoffs. The Vikes with Keenum had no business winning a playoff game, it took a miracle catch and run from Diggs. The Vikes under Keenum had no chance of advancing to the super bowl, the Eagles destroyed us. The Vikes under Favre probably go to the Super Bowl if it wasn’t for the stupid bounty they had on Favre.

While I agree with everything you say here, I will always appreciate Favre for '09.  Yet, I'll have a soft spot for the Keenum story.  Keenum's ride in 2017 is one of the great sports stories of the decade. Fun, fun, fun.

57 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes with Keenum were carried by an elite defense that year. The Vikes with Favre had an elite offense. I think it’s pretty clear who did more for their team or who was carrying who. The Vikes with Favre crushed the Cowboys in the playoffs. The Vikes with Keenum had no business winning a playoff game, it took a miracle catch and run from Diggs. The Vikes under Keenum had no chance of advancing to the super bowl, the Eagles destroyed us. The Vikes under Favre probably go to the Super Bowl if it wasn’t for the 5 times they fumbled the stupid ball

FTFY.  The bounty had less impact than the fumbles...in reality, the fact that they even had a chance to win at the end was a miracle in itself.

Keenum was a good story, and his somewhat reckless play put them in a position to win several games that they probably wouldn't have won under Bradford.  I think there's some revisionist history in your post which I can't agree with.    It took a miracle catch and run from Diggs because the defense fell apart when it counted most, and the same happened in the Philly game, even though Keenum caused part of it when he threw the pick-6, but from then on, it appeared that the defense just caved in. 

Edited by swede700

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes with Keenum were carried by an elite defense that year. The Vikes with Favre had an elite offense. I think it’s pretty clear who did more for their team or who was carrying who. The Vikes with Favre crushed the Cowboys in the playoffs. The Vikes with Keenum had no business winning a playoff game, it took a miracle catch and run from Diggs. The Vikes under Keenum had no chance of advancing to the super bowl, the Eagles destroyed us. The Vikes under Favre probably go to the Super Bowl if it wasn’t for the stupid bounty they had on Favre.

That miracle catch was needed because the Vikings elite defense was carrying the team that day?  Or was it because the offense led by Keenum had to carry the team?

The Vikings under Keenum had a great chance to advance to the Super Bowl. But the defense hardly showed up that day and the offensive line had taken some injuries and was forced to do the best they could with the bodies they had. The Vikings chances of going to the Super Bowl were great under Case Keenum had the defense and offensive line not been such weak links.

I am not saying that Case Keenum is anywhere near as good a player as Brett Favre, but I do think that Case Keenum gave the Vikings the best chance to win a Super Bowl since Brett Favre.

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Really!? You honestly think that the Vikings carried Keenum to a 13-3 record, and NFCCG appearance? That’s laughable. 

Both QBs got their team to the NFCCG, one was expected too, while the other was defying all odds. One seems to be treated like an all time Vikings great, the other gets treated like yesterday’s newspaper. Yet, they both accomplished the same thing. 

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

That's hilarious that 3 Vikings were taken in the 1st round of the OL Draft.  

And Jeff Badet taken #1 for the Renegades...and he was taken before TommyLee Lewis, who actually had NFL experience.  And brief-time Gopher Philip Nelson taken in the 7th.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

The Falcons announced Tuesday they have waived punter Matt Wile with an injury settlement. Wile injured his quadriceps before Sunday’s game against the Cardinals.

In two games subbing for starting punter Matt Bosher this season, Wile punted six times for 290 yards, a 48.3 average.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/15/falcons-waive-injured-matt-wile-sign-john-wetzel/

Edited by vike daddy

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t see any way that the XFL is going to survive. 

Who’s going to want to watch games with these players? Each week is going to be a repeat of an NFL week 4 preseason game. 

The only appeal I could see would be for fans in cities without NFL teams if they want something local to get behind. Otherwise, I doubt the general NFL fan is going to watch. When do they actually play? If it’s spring, maybe they’d get some fans. I don’t follow any other professional or college sports but even I don’t see myself tuning in, but that may not be the case for other football fans. Seems like a very niche market. Can’t see it surviving.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, vikingsrule said:

The only appeal I could see would be for fans in cities without NFL teams if they want something local to get behind. Otherwise, I doubt the general NFL fan is going to watch. When do they actually play? If it’s spring, maybe they’d get some fans. I don’t follow any other professional or college sports but even I don’t see myself tuning in, but that may not be the case for other football fans. Seems like a very niche market. Can’t see it surviving.

It starts a week or 2 after the Super Bowl.  If it somehow manages to survive a couple of seasons, then it has a chance, but the only chance it has it if it can somehow manage to be decent football.  I likely won't watch it initially either, but if it can stabilize, then it's the best opportunity to become the NFL version of the NBDL (or the G-League).  

Steve Jordan will enter the franchise’s Ring of Honor Thursday night.

Jordan, who ranks behind only Cris Carter and Randy Moss in career receptions with the Vikings, becomes the 25th member of the Ring of Honor. Jordan ranks 14th in team history with 176 games played. He’s fifth among all skill-position players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/23/steve-jordan-enters-vikings-ring-of-honor-on-thursday-night/

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Steve Jordan will enter the franchise’s Ring of Honor Thursday night.

Jordan, who ranks behind only Cris Carter and Randy Moss in career receptions with the Vikings, becomes the 25th member of the Ring of Honor. Jordan ranks 14th in team history with 176 games played. He’s fifth among all skill-position players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/23/steve-jordan-enters-vikings-ring-of-honor-on-thursday-night/

My favorite Vikings' TE ever...but, that could also be because he's the first one I truly remember (I started paying attention after Joe Senser got injured).  

Adrian jumped from 8th place to 6th place for all time rushing yards with last night's game.  He is now exactly 400 yards from catching Curtis Martin and moving into the top 5.  Which is probably where he ends up when he retires.  I don't see him catching Sanders, although it could be close.

12 minutes ago, since72 said:

Adrian jumped from 8th place to 6th place for all time rushing yards with last night's game.  He is now exactly 400 yards from catching Curtis Martin and moving into the top 5.  Which is probably where he ends up when he retires.  I don't see him catching Sanders, although it could be close.

He still needs to pay his child support...he's still got a good chance.  :D