Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I hope Stafford gets healthy for week 17 in case we need them to beat the Packers. 

He should be healthy by then but it seems unlikely that they'll play him. They have nothing to play for. If Blough is looking decent I think they'll continue to give him the reps so they'll have a backup with more experience afterwards. 

• Like 2

He came, he saw, he missed a kick. And then he got cut.

Kicker Kai Forbath, who was available in late November for a reason, is available again. The Patriots released Forbath after missing an extra point on Sunday night, via Field Yates of ESPN.com.

Nick Folk underwent an emergency appendectomy on Thursday, and he was waived the next day. Forbath was signed after getting tryouts last week with the Panthers and Titans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/02/patriots-quickly-cut-kai-forbath/

59 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I don't usually question the Patriots and how they treat players...but that looks like the mark of a desperate team.  Despite their record, I'm not sure they have what it takes this year to get it done.  

They’ve had a cupcake schedule and beat up a bunch of bad teams. Brady looks done, they have no offensive fire power and the defense appears to be overrated given the bad QBs they’ve mostly played this year. The Ravens are the team to beat this year.

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They’ve had a cupcake schedule and beat up a bunch of bad teams. Brady looks done, they have no offensive fire power and the defense appears to be overrated given the bad QBs they’ve mostly played this year. The Ravens are the team to beat this year.

So, NE becomes a potential suitor for Teddy?  He is a FA after this season, isn't he?

The Cowboys stuck with Brett Maher after his first nine misses of the season. His 10th missed field goal, though, might prove the last straw. After Maher missed a 42-yard kick wide right in a 31-24 loss to the Bears, the Cowboys are working out three kickers. Kai Forbath, Tristan Vizcaino and Nick Rose will tryout Monday, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News reports.

Maher missed another Thursday, so it seems likely the Cowboys will have a new kicker Sunday. Maher, who beat out Dan Bailey for the job before the 2018 season, also has missed kicks of 55, 54, 33, 40, 54, 57, 46, 35 and 47 this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/08/cowboys-trying-out-three-kickers-including-kai-forbath/

Two years ago, the Giants fired coach Ben McAdoo with a 13-15 record after 28 regular-season games. Current Giants coach Pat Shurmur is now 7-22 after 29 regular-season games, and he has tied the all-time franchise record with nine straight losses. Does he expect to finish the season as the team’s coach?

“Yeah, I do,” Shurmur told reporters after the 20-17 overtime loss to the Eagles. “But I just have to wait and see.”

The Giants host the Dolphins on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, where a loss would set the franchise record for 10 in a row.

“I have no thoughts on that,” Shurmur said when asked about tying a team record for games-in-a-row futility. We lost a game tonight and I think that’s what we’re talking about. Unfortunately, that’s our reality right now and I have no thoughts on that other than the fact that we lost the game tonight.”

Asked later about the record-tying defeat, Shurmur said, “Yeah, it’s not something that you want to be a part of. That’s what I think.”

The question is how much longer he’ll be part of the Giants. Whether the hammer falls today or next Monday or on December 30, it’s looking more and more likely that someone else will be coaching the team next year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/10/pat-shurmur-will-wait-and-see-whether-he-gets-to-finish-the-season/

you paying attention, Stefanski...? it's not always best to jump ship and become a head coach just for the sake of becoming a head coach...

Washington running back Adrian Peterson could break into the Top 5 rushers in NFL history on Sunday. Peterson currently has 14,036 rushing yards in his career, good for sixth place all-time. Just ahead of him at No. 5 is Curtis Martin, with 14,101. With 65 yards on Sunday, Peterson will tie Martin. Peterson is averaging 60 yards a game this season.

Early in his career, Peterson spoke about his desire to break Emmitt Smith’s NFL record for career rushing yards. Peterson is 34 years old and still more than 4,000 yards between Smith’s all-time record of 18,355 yards, so breaking that record is unlikely. But Peterson has remained an efficient running back far longer than most expected, and has a shot at passing 1,000 yards for the second consecutive year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/14/adrian-peterson-poised-to-move-into-top-5-all-time-rushers/

• Like 1