Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Brock Osweiler says, uh huh...

I understand the point, but the $18M average that he was paid was only 7.7% of the cap.  Now, you're talking about spending 15% of the cap on a similarly experienced player.  That's not going to get him $30M....even in this current QB market.   $30M is for proven starter-level QBs. Teddy will be lucky to get Nick Foles money.  

Edited by swede700

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd be very happy for Teddy, but realistically, he's not going to live up to that. 

I think in the right situation he can be Alex Smith good. That's not worth 30mil/.

I'll be interested to see how many (if any) teams are realistically interested in Teddy for their starting job.  I think it's fairly obvious there were no takers last season, since he stayed in New Orleans to back up Brees, and I'm not convinced his short stretch as fill-in was enough to improve his prospects this time around.  If anyone is still in search of a fame management QB, he's in luck, but I'm not sure there's much of that around at this point in the NFL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I understand the point, but the $18M average that he was paid was only 7.7% of the cap.  Now, you're talking about spending 15% of the cap on a similarly experienced player.  That's not going to get him $30M....even in this current QB market.   $30M is for proven starter-level QBs. Teddy will be lucky to get Nick Foles money.  

Those numbers smell funny. What was the cap when Osweiller was signed? What is the cap today?

$18M is 7.7% of $233M.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Those numbers smell funny. What was the cap when Osweiller was signed? What is the cap today?

$18M is 7.7% of $233M.

It may not be right, let me go back and check where I saw it.  

Edit:  The one year he spent in Houston, his cap number was actually $12M, which was indicated as 7.7%.  They actually paid him $21M in actual cash.   

https://overthecap.com/player/brock-osweiler/8/

Either way, it doesn't really change my opinion.  If he had actually fulfilled the contract, it would have been an average of $18M, but, in the end, (partially due to the Browns' willingness to work with them), they were protected from taking a huge hit.  If Teddy gets a $30M average (which I still highly doubt will happen), the team signing him will have to structure it similarly. 

Edited by swede700

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unless he can play slot corner, I don't think the Vikings need a slot receiver.  They already have 2 WRs that can do that.  I like Jarius just as much as anyone here, but he's not really needed.  They need guys who can play outside.

Agreed. If Wright could return Punts reliability id look at him, but another slot option isn’t a need. We need some speed on the outside if anything.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, free agent Case Keenum is on the Browns' radar. 

Keenum has had a high degree of success, particularly with Stefanski. In 2017 with the Vikings, Keenum went 11-3 as starter and took them to the NFC Championship Game, before they went all-in with Kirk Cousins the following year. But with Stefanski as his quarterbacks coach, he posted a career-best 98.3 passer rating, with 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/26/browns-reportedly-interested-in-case-keenum/

55 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Or struggle. This coaching staff might not be tied to Mayfield. 

I'd be highly surprised if they bailed on Mayfield anytime soon, considering he showed some promise the year before last...his problem last year was the lack of institutional control (to use the NCAA term) from the head coach on down.  I don't anticipate that same issue with Stefanski, because I just think he has a better grasp on what the HC is supposed to do, unlike Kitchens, who didn't exactly have the best role models, outside of maybe when he was under Arians in Arizona.  

• Like 1