Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

31 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Correct. Any idea on how that works for Griffen?

Yeah, I have a very good idea on that. Everson Griffen is a compensatory free agent. When a player voids a contract the team loses the player in a way that is out of their control. I believe that is the rationale behind counting players who voided their contracts as compensatory free agents.

This I am less sure of but iirc, If the team voids the contract I am pretty sure the player does not count as a compensatory free agent. There have been cases that have demonstrated both of those situations in the past. I would have to look into this situation more to be sure but it doesn't apply to the Vikings this year so I didn't have the motivation to brush up on it.

And a final huge disclaimer: There were some tweaks to the compensatory formula that will come with the new CBA. I don't know how much this will change things and only time will tell since the league holds those cards close. We can only pay attention to empirical data as it comes. Everything that I am saying about compensatory considerations is based off of things that we have actually observed under the previous CBA.

Late Add:

There is evidence that when teams give a player the ability to void a contract as part of a renegotiation of the original contract the player will not count as a compensatory free agent after voiding the contract. See my post below.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add

20 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Incorrect with Griffen  his voiding his deal means we do get a compensatory picks if he signs elsewhere.

I have to walk back part of what I just posted above. Since the team renegotiated Griffen's contract to allow him to void it there is a possibility he will not count in the compensatory formula. According to OTC, who does the best job of tracking these things the last several years, Jerome Felton's loss didn't count for that reason.

I believe the rationale for including players in the formula that void their contracts is that team's didn't have the ability to keep that player. The rationale for excluding contracts that were renegotiated to add the ability to void would be that the team had a choice in the renegotiation and they do not want teams doing that to game the compensatory formula.

I have to admit that I haven't paid nearly as much attention to the compensatory considerations ever since OTC started doing such a good job. It is easier to just check there since they do it as good as anyone. It was a fun hobby back in the day trying to reverse engineer to figure out the variables ourselves. Most of the mystery is gone nowadays.

I do have to admit I still found myself very interested in the Andrew Sendejo situation this year since we had not seen that before. Sendejo was still signed to the contract the Eagles signed him to as of the 10th week, but he had been claimed by the team that he would have been a loss for. It turns out he didn't count. We know that a player counts still if the team that signed him trades him (Teddy Bridgewater being traded to the Saints).

Edited by Cearbhall

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

No comp pick for Griffen.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of that. It is too bad the contract didn't originally contain the voidable years.  Since there would be no compensation for losing Griffen I now hope more than ever that the team brings him back.  Even if he was a compensatory free agent I would have hoped they bring him back. This just pushed the needle even further that way.

I wonder if there any more of these free agents that didn't qualify as compensatory free agents in which the Vikings would have interest. I would mind a second tour of duty for Jarius Wright. Robey-Coleman might be an interesting pickup if the team can't bring Alexander back. I would rather have Griffen but Bennett could be a contingency for rotational DE.

13 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Thanks for getting to the bottom of that. It is too bad the contract didn't originally contain the voidable years.  Since there would be no compensation for losing Griffen I now hope more than ever that the team brings him back.  Even if he was a compensatory free agent I would have hoped they bring him back. This just pushed the needle even further that way.

I wonder if there any more of these free agents that didn't qualify as compensatory free agents in which the Vikings would have interest. I would mind a second tour of duty for Jarius Wright. Robey-Coleman might be an interesting pickup if the team can't bring Alexander back. I would rather have Griffen but Bennett could be a contingency for rotational DE.

There are rules for which players are eligible for compensatory pick calculation or not eligible.

Ex: if you were released\cut from a team or have a certain # of years in the league, your not eligible. Griffen I think ticks the latter of my example

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

There are rules for which players are eligible for compensatory pick calculation or not eligible.

Ex: if you were released\cut from a team or have a certain # of years in the league, your not eligible. Griffen I think ticks the latter of my example

Griffen is not eligible because the Vikings restructured his contract to add Griffen's ability to void the deal.

Players with 10+ accrued seasons are eligible for at most a 5th round pick.