Jump to content
Klomp

Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Recommended Posts

On 4/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, Cearbhall said:

That was a good one. I also really like watching the one where he trucks William Gay.

Late add:

Guess it was a reception:

 

I was at that game. There was a collective "oof" in the crowd by Vikings and Steelers fans alike as that play happened. So awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 12:00 AM, vike daddy said:

A nonprofit group caught up in an embezzlement scheme in Mississippi used federal welfare money to pay former NFL quarterback Brett Favre $1.1 million for multiple speaking engagements, but Favre did not show up for the events, the state auditor said. Favre tweeted Wednesday that he has "never received monies" for obligations he didn't meet.

Favre: "I was unaware that the money being dispersed was paid out of funds not intended for that purpose, and because of that, I am refunding the full amount back to Mississippi."

Details about payments to Favre are included in an audit of the Mississippi Department of Human Services released Monday. State Auditor Shad White said his employees identified $94 million in questionable spending by the agency, including payments for sports activities with no clear connection to helping needy people in one of the poorest states of the U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/brett-favre-repaying-1-1-m-no-show-speeches-auditor-n1201676

 

@wcblack34, what went down here...?

Hard to say without seeing the program in question and the parameters set for receiving funds. I seriously doubt that Favre was soliciting speaking/appearance arrangements from the welfare department. Most likely scenario is that some business(es) were requesting large amounts for staging charity events and put line items such as "Brett Favre Appearance Fee" to make it appear legitimate. Then you have to 1099 those expenses and show them to the program administrator and someone winds up paying taxes on them. So they paid Favre and other people and companies who have to pay taxes, and they pocketed non-itemized expenditures. They probably never put on the events and informed Favre's agent he wouldn't need to appear, but Favre would probably have had a cancellation fee. 

That's just a guess. It's either much more elaborate, or much simpler than that haha. 

But @swede700 is absolutely right. It's oversight that caught them. Bureaucracy gets a bad rap, but when you don't have proper oversight, abuses are far worse. In this case, the oversight will get at least $1.1 million back from Favre.  

Edited by wcblack34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

This week, Stefanski settled on the west side as he piled the family in the car — his wife Michelle and their three school-age children — and drove from Minnesota to their new home in a west side suburb.

"We did an 11-hour drive on Friday and powered through that. I was proud of myself."

Stefanski, who headed back to Minnesota after the coronavirus pandemic hit to shelter in place with his family there, conducted a virtual rookie minicamp over the weekend and is in the midst of his virtual offseason program.

 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/browns-kevin-stefanski-moves-his-family-to-the-west-side-of-cleveland-after-the-big-east-side-west-side-debate.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

After seven seasons with the Vikings, former shutdown cornerback Xavier Rhodes is cutting ties with Minnesota.  Rhodes, one of the Vikes' three 2013 first-round picks, just listed his freshly constructed 5-bedroom, 6.5-bathroom, 5,506-square-foot Eagan home on the market for $1.4 million.

http://www.citypages.com/arts/wanna-buy-former-vikings-star-xavier-rhodes-eagan-home/570368711

That's a bargain in this market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.vikings.com/news/bud-grant-fran-tarkenton-kfan-call?fbclid=IwAR1k9sdBhqkBjcIx_edwWUlGR0A--Xo3p9bSnhhWjcxdcd1l3SLtj8_t2UU

 

excellent synopsis of a recent radio call in chat between Tarkenton and Bud Grant.

 

Grant: "The one thing we've got to be careful of when you get to be our stage of life, you can't compare and say, 'We were better than or worse than.' The comparisons don't work because football today is better than it's ever been. They've got better players, they've got more players, they've got more money. There's more young men that aspire to be professional football players; therefore, the pool is greater. And scouting is good. I mean, they've got a coaching staff of 28 assistants."

"Let's not compare, let's just appreciate what happened and say it was a great time, but nobody's better than anybody else, and we're just enjoying football."

Edited by vike daddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

https://www.vikings.com/news/bud-grant-fran-tarkenton-kfan-call?fbclid=IwAR1k9sdBhqkBjcIx_edwWUlGR0A--Xo3p9bSnhhWjcxdcd1l3SLtj8_t2UU

 

excellent synopsis of a recent radio call in chat between Tarkenton and Bud Grant.

 

Grant: "The one thing we've got to be careful of when you get to be our stage of life, you can't compare and say, 'We were better than or worse than.' The comparisons don't work because football today is better than it's ever been. They've got better players, they've got more players, they've got more money. There's more young men that aspire to be professional football players; therefore, the pool is greater. And scouting is good. I mean, they've got a coaching staff of 28 assistants."

"Let's not compare, let's just appreciate what happened and say it was a great time, but nobody's better than anybody else, and we're just enjoying football."

I finished listening to it yesterday on the podcast.  It was rather entertaining.  Bud still sounds really good for turning 93 next week. Let's hope he's around for another decade.  And let's get Jim Marshall into the Hall before he's gone.  It tells you what kind of shape these guys were in to still be hanging around well into their 80s and 90s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Bud still sounds really good for turning 93 next week. Let's hope he's around for another decade.  And let's get Jim Marshall into the Hall before he's gone.  It tells you what kind of shape these guys were in to still be hanging around well into their 80s and 90s.  

if you look at pics of Bud in his 20's to 40's, you see how trim and healthy he was. probably comes from a very good gene stock, lol. i bet his kids are healthy too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if you look at pics of Bud in his 20's to 40's, you see how trim and healthy he was. probably comes from a very good gene stock, lol. i bet his kids are healthy too.

I'm certainly not that trim or healthy as he was, especially since I was never an athlete, but I'm still holding out hope that I can make it to my 90s.  Gotta hang around for the 3D printed organs to become mainstream.  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington running back Adrian Peterson has an eye on the career rushing leaderboard as he heads into his 14th season. Peterson is currently fifth in NFL history with 14,216 career rushing yards. In fourth place is Barry Sanders, who had 15,269 yards in his 10 NFL seasons. Peterson hopes he can top Sanders this year.

Peterson: “That’s definitely one of the goals, passing Barry Sanders would definitely be one of the highlights of my career. What he accomplished, and how I’ve looked up to him, I’ve always wanted to say I did something better than Barry Sanders.”

Topping Sanders this year would require Peterson to gain 1,054 yards this season, and that would be a tall order: Peterson hasn’t gained that many yards in any season since 2015. Peterson, who turned 35 this offseason, may have to play until he’s 36 to move ahead of Sanders.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/23/adrian-petersons-goal-move-past-barry-sanders-in-career-rushing-yards/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's available.  xD  (Not that he ever showed enough that I thought he really deserved a chance anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×