Klomp

Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Honestly I thought he was out of the NFL

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Honestly I thought he was out of the NFL

He will be next year...he got the benefit of practice squad rule changes this year to stick with the Falcons for now.  Those rules won't apply next year.    

Jared's a semi-finalist!  Likely won't make it in this year, but that should signal that he'll be in sometime here in the next few years.  Peyton is the certain lock, but I also think Megatron and Charles Woodson are fairly certain to get in as well this year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Jared's a semi-finalist!  Likely won't make it in this year, but that should signal that he'll be in sometime here in the next few years.  Peyton is the certain lock, but I also think Megatron and Charles Woodson are fairly certain to get in as well this year.

I actually think Allen has a better shot on his first ballot than Johnson. I think Johnson’s “early” retirement might hurt him in the voting. 

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I actually think Allen has a better shot on his first ballot than Johnson. I think Johnson’s “early” retirement might hurt him in the voting. 

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Johnson was a matchup challenge for any and all DB's during his whole career.  He was consistently great on a historically bad team that occasionally reached the "meh" stratosphere.  I think it will be Manning and Johnson as locks.  Woodson next, followed by Allen.  It's interesting that both Rodney Harrison and John Lynch are both eligible.  I suppose that they are cancelling each other out, which is a shame.  Safeties need love too!!

11 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Johnson was a matchup challenge for any and all DB's during his whole career.  He was consistently great on a historically bad team that occasionally reached the "meh" stratosphere.  I think it will be Manning and Johnson as locks.  Woodson next, followed by Allen.  It's interesting that both Rodney Harrison and John Lynch are both eligible.  I suppose that they are cancelling each other out, which is a shame.  Safeties need love too!!

I don't think Allen has a better shot than Johnson, but I do think Johnson might have to wait a year.  I think the only real locks are Peyton and Charles Woodson.  As far as the other 3, I'd probably go Faneca (since Hutch made it in last year), Torry Holt and Clay Matthews Jr (I think this is his last shot).

Edited by swede700

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think Allen has a better shot than Johnson, but I do think Johnson might have to wait a year.  I think the only real locks are Peyton and Charles Woodson.  As far as the other 3, I'd probably go Faneca (since Hutch made it in last year), Torry Holt and John Lynch (so Darren Woodson can finally make it in next year).

Whose presence on the field absolutely changed the game plan of the opponents?  To me, that's Manning and Johnson.  As great as Allen was, he was streaky and never was the dominant force that a Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor was.  And, if I had a completely objective choice of who I would rather have on my team, Charles Haley (who I think is probably closest to Allen in how he played) or Jarred Allen...I will pick Haley.  This doesn't mean that I don't support his election.  I do.  I think that he will certainly not be elected in his first year of eligibility.  But what do I know...I'm hardly ever right in how HOF voters vote!

Edited by Virginia Viking

8 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

But what do I know...I'm hardly ever right in how HOF voters vote!

Not many of us are...I still think Isaac Bruce has no business being in the HOF.  And I haven't been able to say that about an inducted player since Terrell Davis.

Edited by swede700

When Jared Allen was drawing triple teams, he was absolutely changing how teams game planned. 

And while Johnson was tremendously talented, so many of his gaudy numbers were a result of his team always losing, therefore always passing. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Whose presence on the field absolutely changed the game plan of the opponents?  To me, that's Manning and Johnson.  As great as Allen was, he was streaky and never was the dominant force that a Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor was.  And, if I had a completely objective choice of who I would rather have on my team, Charles Haley (who I think is probably closest to Allen in how he played) or Jarred Allen...I will pick Haley. 

I think you’re maybe forgetting how good Jared Allen was. He had a stretch where he was clearly the best 4-3 end in football, and he had some very stiff competition in Ware, Dumervil, Merriman, Freeney, Mathis, Peppers, Harrison, Matthews, etc.

Teams absolutely played the Vikings differently because of Jared Allen. So much so that it frequently exposed the LBs in coverage because of the quick passes with TEs and RBs.