Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

41 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But, Doug Pederson would probably be on my short list, as well. 

I could support that. Would love to keep Zimmer as a DC but that obviously won’t happen. I don’t know why Pederson has such a fall out in Philly. But his first couple years were really nice. Would love an offensive minded head coach so the offensive system doesn’t have to change every other year. It’s an offensive driven league and you have to be able to move the ball. 

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would love to keep Zimmer as a DC but that obviously won’t happen.

I don’t even think I’d want that, anymore. This defense is a sinking ship, and quite frankly, hasn’t been the same since it got exposed in the 2nd half of the 2017 playoff game against New Orleans.

I think Zimmer has made the defense overly complicated, and it’s not very conducive to young players or 1st year free agents. 

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t know why Pederson has such a fall out in Philly.

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, there was a tremendous piece written about the disfunction that befell Philly, and basically Pederson became the scapegoat. 

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Bienemy and Kafka would be high on my list post Zimmer. Along with Kellen Moore. 

Mike Kafka was a high school star in the same league as my high school in Chicago. It was so embarrassing to watch him and their running back destroy every other team in the area. It really is amazing to watch roster-able talent in high school playing against average joes, only to find out that those guys are fringe roster players at the NFL level.

Kafka is a good dude, super sharp. He still stays in touch with some of the guys on Chicago's south side. Pretty cool to see him rising up the ranks in coaching circles.

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I don’t even think I’d want that, anymore. This defense is a sinking ship, and quite frankly, hasn’t been the same since it got exposed in the 2nd half of the 2017 playoff game against New Orleans.

I think Zimmer has made the defense overly complicated, and it’s not very conducive to young players or 1st year free agents. 

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, there was a tremendous piece written about the disfunction that befell Philly, and basically Pederson became the scapegoat. 

And it all starts with the owner.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, swede700 said:

Zimmer will go down swinging, because with his children grown and being widowed, football is his life. 

He needs to take up needlepoint or stamp collecting.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, SemperFeist said:

But, Doug Pederson would probably be on my short list, as well. 

Not me.  He was exposed as a play caller after the Super Bowl year.  He doesn't have the ability to scheme to opponent at Andy Reid's level.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Not me.  He was exposed as a play caller after the Super Bowl year.  He doesn't have the ability to scheme to opponent at Andy Reid's level.

So, I suppose you'd be against hiring Bieniemy too, because he can't scheme to Andy's level either (not many can) and he is currently Andy's OC, just like Pederson was.  That's an awfully high bar to set.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

So, I suppose you'd be against hiring Bieniemy too, because he can't scheme to Andy's level either (not many can) and he is currently Andy's OC, just like Pederson was.  That's an awfully high bar to set.

I against hiring any OC under Andy Reid. That experiment was a miserable failure and I would like to not do that again. Perhaps it is a high bar, but shouldn't it be a high bar to get a head coaching job in the league. If an Andy Reid wants to prove their ability to me they would have to first make a lateral move to become an OC somewhere else -- under a defensive head coach would be a good idea.

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I against hiring any OC under Andy Reid. That experiment was a miserable failure and I would like to not do that again. Perhaps it is a high bar, but shouldn't it be a high bar to get a head coaching job in the league. If an Andy Reid wants to prove their ability to me they would have to first make a lateral move to become an OC somewhere else -- under a defensive head coach would be a good idea.

I'm certainly a little hesitant as well, because of the past history...of course with Childress and Nagy as well.  I'm not as opposed to Pederson, but I'm not certain his personality would fit in with the culture that the Wilfs have created here.  I think we need to take that into consideration when we're throwing out ideas because from their standpoint, I think it's a really big deal.