Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Top 5 is hard, but here's where I landed:

Cris Carter
Harrison Smith
Jared Allen
Randy Moss
Randall McDaniel

I love the lore of the 60s and 70s guys, but can't really put them in my favorites without having watched them. Other guys that were close: Kevin Williams, Eric Kendricks, Robert Griffith, Robert Smith, Adrian Peterson, Antoine Winfield, Brian Robison, Adam Thielen, Percy Harvin, Stefon Diggs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I love the lore of the 60s and 70s guys, but can't really put them in my favorites without having watched them. 

yeah, that's very true and understandable.

the NFL was very different then. rule structures allowed it to be a hard hitting defensive game of fighting in the mud, game scores were frequently 14-10 or 10-7 and such. it did not have the offensive finesse it does today with the athleticism not being as elite.

hey, players were paid so little that most guys on a team had second jobs in the off season. (our all star kicker in that old era was a chiropractor.)

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

To add to the above, I think it's awesome that my generation and younger has basically known nothing but great WRs. I'd wager the Vikings have the greatest WR room in NFL history.

That would certainly be a great debate. Who comes close? Packers? Steelers? Dolphins?

Vikings: Moss, Carter, JJ, Diggs, AC, Rashaad, Thielen, and White. 

I think the 49ers are really the only team that has a legitimate argument. Rice and T.O. but then you have Taylor/Clark/Gene Washington who aren't in the same league as the Vikings' 3-6.

The Steelers had Swann, AB, Hines Ward and Stallworth.

Cowboys had Irvin, Pearson, T.O and Hayes.

Green Bay had Adams, Don Hutson, Sterling Sharpe, Jordy, Lofton, Freeman, Jennings, Jones.

The Rams have had some great ones. Colts too. But overall, it's hard to argue that the Vikings aren't the best.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That would certainly be a great debate. Who comes close? Packers? Steelers? Dolphins?

Vikings: Moss, Carter, JJ, Diggs, AC, Rashaad, Thielen, and White. 

I think the 49ers are really the only team that has a legitimate argument. Rice and T.O. but then you have Taylor/Clark/Gene Washington who aren't in the same league as the Vikings' 3-6.

The Steelers had Swann, AB, Hines Ward and Stallworth.

Cowboys had Irvin, Pearson, T.O and Hayes.

Green Bay had Adams, Don Hutson, Sterling Sharpe, Jordy, Lofton, Freeman, Jennings, Jones.

The Rams have had some great ones. Colts too. But overall, it's hard to argue that the Vikings aren't the best.

Imagine if the Vikings had QBs like Montana, Young, Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Aikman, Starr, Favre Rodgers, etc...to throw to that WR group?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

1) Tarkenton
2) Jim Marshall
3) Antoine Winfield (who I nicknamed the Angry Chihuahua)
4) Jared Allen
5) Studwell

woof, tough to come up with only 5... or the top 5, at least....

Chuck Foreman was a player even you younger guys would have enjoyed in today's game. tough and a tackle breaker, but had incredible finesse and change of pace moves. had this one odd skill - he could running downfield and a defensive player would be charging at him, getting ready for contact. Foreman could just stop in his tracks, the defensive guy would whiff, and Foreman would be running downfield again.

very exciting guy. his team records stood for 20 years or so until Robert Smith broke them. and if it takes a guy like Smith to break your records, you're damn good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

woof, tough to come up with only 5... or the top 5, at least....

Chuck Foreman was a player even you younger guys would have enjoyed in today's game. tough and a tackle breaker, but had incredible finesse and change of pace moves. had this one odd skill - he could running downfield and a defensive player would be charging at him, getting ready for contact. Foreman could just stop in his tracks, the defensive guy would whiff, and Foreman would be running downfield again.

very exciting guy. his team records stood for 20 years or so until Robert Smith broke them. and if it takes a guy like Smith to break your records, you're damn good.

Had #44 on many of my birthday cakes throughout my childhood. Thank you grandma. One handed catches and those spin moves, oh the memories. Pretty sure I was reprimanded several times for trying these moves as junior high running back. Back then, it was a cigar smoking coach whipping a ball to my mid-section. It was barbaric, but effective. Wouldn’t be tolerated in era, though. 

• Like 2