Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

On 3/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, swede700 said:

It shouldn't be amazing, but it is...it's amazing how long Webb has outlasted Christian Ponder.  This will be Webb's 10th year in the NFL.  He, along with Adrian Peterson (2007), Everson Griffen (same draft as Webb) and John Sullivan (2008, if he signs elsewhere) are the 4 longest lasting players still in the NFL while Spielman has been with the Vikings.  They are followed by Kyle Rudolph and Brandon Fusco (currently in Atlanta) from the 2011 Draft.  

Webb was 24 when he was drafted too. It is amazing he's lasted this long. Credit to Spielman for finding the guy!

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

No, that would be Brad Childress. Favre gave this team hope. Chilly did not.

No. Favre came in and did what he wanted, as he pleased. He undermined the coach, and the leadership within the locker room which led to a fracture within the team. Winning held it together in 2009, but every one saw how fast it fell apart in 2010. 

Childress may not have had to voice, or the leadership to fix what he allowed to get broke when he brought Favre in, but Childress wasn’t the one who broke the team. 

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No. Favre came in and did what he wanted, as he pleased. He undermined the coach, and the leadership within the locker room which led to a fracture within the team. Winning held it together in 2009, but every one saw how fast it fell apart in 2010. 

Childress may not have had to voice, or the leadership to fix what he allowed to get broke when he brought Favre in, but Childress wasn’t the one who broke the team. 

Childress broke the team when he single-handedly cut Moss.

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Childress broke the team when he single-handedly cut Moss.

Childress broke the team for sure, but that was just one of the things he did to break the team. Remember how he treated Marcus Robinson? Brad Childress was a terrible head coach. It started early with how he couldn't handle Culpepper. It continued when he wouldn't keep Koren Robinson in line (not that anyone ever was able to). Doing Marcus Robinson like that cost him the good will of the players.

By the next year Brad Childress had ticked off Antoine Winfield and docked Troy Williamson a game check for missing a game to attend his grandmother's funeral. Yikes!

Brad Childress seems to have exasperated Percy Harvin's headaches, and caused Harvin to rebel hard.  Maybe Harvin was just a hard case, but the same was said about Culpepper, Robinson, and Robinson. By this time the coach was out of excuses. He had a complete inability to deal with strong-willed players and had completely lost the team's respect. He had complete lost my respect and I was calling for him to be fired.

Brett Favre was able to rally the troops and pull the team back together again, but Brad Childress was too much. Moss was just a foot note to all of this as he became just another player that Childress couldn't deal with. Sadly, bringing in Favre led to Childress getting a contract extension; a terrible move for a coach that had already broke the team.

Brad Childress' poor decisions that broke the team started from his very first year. He was truly a terrible head coach. It was mystifying seeing him get an extension when there were red flags all over the place.

While the Brad Childress fiasco ended without too many years of pain, it became a huge red flag pointing to the inexperience of the new owner, Zygi Wilf.  This was another of his mistakes as owner that stands out with the Fran Foley situation, which resulted in the triangle of confusion, as red flags that many attributed to him learning the ropes.

• Like 3

The dispersal of former AAF players continues, with one headed to Pittsburgh. According to Matt Zenitz of AL.com, former Birmingham Iron defensive back Jack Tocho is expected to sign with the Steelers.

Tocho was a seventh-round pick of the Vikings in 2017 out of N.C. State.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/05/steelers-signing-former-aaf-defensive-back-jack-tocho/

As a true freshman at Oklahoma in 2004, Adrian Peterson ran for 1,925 yards and finished second in Heisman Trophy voting. At that time, he was ready for the NFL. But the NFL wasn’t ready for him. League rules say a player must be three years out of high school before he can play in the NFL. Peterson, however, says he was keenly aware that Maurice Clarett had sued for the right to get into the 2004 NFL draft, and he says that he was rooting for Clarett and ready to turn pro himself if Clarett had won.

Peterson:  “I can tell you, when that situation happened with Maurice Clarett, I was elated. I was like, ‘Yes, thank you Jesus,’ because I just knew that was the route I was going to take, and I would have taken it. Think about the type of year I had my freshman year. Come on. Like, I’m out of there. I’m in the NFL already.”

Peterson still believes he would have been a higher pick in the 2005 NFL draft, after his freshman year, than he ended up being the seventh overall pick. He’s almost certainly right about that: In 2005 running back Ronnie Brown went second overall, Cedric Benson went fourth and Cadillac Williams went fifth. It’s hard to believe NFL teams wouldn’t have seen Peterson as a better prospect than at least one of those three.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/adrian-peterson-wanted-to-turn-pro-after-his-freshman-year/