Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

36 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

So what does everybody think about Gerald McCoy as an option on defense? or is it way out of our price range and impossible to put together and also is his mental ability where it should be?  I mean he's a former 3rd overall pick not too long ago could he be a difference-maker in Minnesota.

Not if it means moving any of our starters or other significant pieces (which it very likely would).

Our FO’s recent philosophy is keeping as many in-house guys as possible and building chemistry (besides the QB position), so I think they feel the same.

12 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

So what does everybody think about Gerald McCoy as an option on defense? or is it way out of our price range and impossible to put together and also is his mental ability where it should be?  I mean he's a former 3rd overall pick not too long ago could he be a difference-maker in Minnesota.

I am a fan of McCoy.  Good player...good teammate...good person...the kind of guy the Vikings organization usually covets.  But, unless he's willing to come on board with significantly smaller contract and cap numbers, I'd have to take a pass.  Wish the Vikings could afford him!!

Tevin Coleman arrived in a crowded backfield in San Francisco this offseason, with last year’s leading rusher Matt Breida returning and last year’s free agent signing Jerick McKinnon expected to return after missing the whole season. But Coleman is expected to move to the head of the line.

Matt Maiocco of NBCSportsBayArea.com writes that Coleman is likely to get the most carries and the most catches of all the 49ers’ running backs this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/27/tevin-coleman-looks-like-the-clear-no-1-in-49ers-crowded-backfield/

Bruce Arians isn’t the only quarterback guru the Buccaneers brought in this offseason.

Of course, Tom Moore’s also there to help Arians, and not just quarterback Jameis Winston.

The Bucs brought in the 80-year-old Moore to help this offseason, and though he doesn’t have an official role, the guy who used to coach Peyton Manning in Indianapolis will be important for both the coach and the quarterback.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/bruce-arians-glad-to-have-tom-moore-around-to-complain-to/

For those who may recall, Moore is "one of us" and was also a coach for both the Gophers in the 70s (was Dungy's OC at the U) and also the Vikings AHC under both Jerry Burns and in Denny's first 2 years.  It's good to see that he's still hanging around in some capacity in the NFL.  

Edited by swede700

I'm posting this because of Moss' inclusion...but some of the other ones that they call "Greatest Signature Moves" are rather ridiculous.  Some made real sense and others did not make any sense at all, with the most notable being some of their inclusions of recent players which seemed kind of forced.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-throwback/0ap3000001032367/NFL-Throwback-Greatest-signature-moves

• 2 weeks later...

Washington running back Adrian Peterson has proven he can still be productive, and has continued to set high goals for himself. But as he gets closer to the end of a strong career, he’s thinking about the end, and who he wants to end it with. According to Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the former Vikings MVP said he wants to return to his original team when it’s time to retire.

Peterson: “This is where I started; this is where it’s going to come to an end, as well. People ask me all the time, and they keep throwing me off, like, ‘Where would I retire? A Saint, a Cardinal or a Redskin?’ It’s like, ‘No, I’m going to retire a Viking.’ I was here a decade — some great memories, some everlasting friends. I’m just forever indebted to the state of Minnesota. I’ll definitely be retiring a Viking, for sure. I believe I gave my heart to the state of Minnesota and my fans, anytime I stepped on the field. It’s not like I left on bad terms, like we fell out. Things just didn’t work; they went their way, I went my way. It was just kind of mutually beneficial, for me and for them.”

Peterson ran for 11,747 yards in 10 seasons in Minnesota, and has 1,571 yards in the three years since he left.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/10/adrian-peterson-wants-to-retire-a-viking-someday/

• Like 1

The late Dennis Green went from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to the heights of the NFL, coaching the Vikings and Cardinals in a career that spanned more than a decade. He has now been immortalized back in his hometown.

Via Sue Gleiter of PennLive.com, Harrisburg has dubbed two blocks of Walnut Street “Dennis Green Way.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/15/harrisburg-names-a-street-after-dennis-green/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those with close ties to the NFL view Kevin Warren as a future commissioner and expect the Big Ten to be only a steppingstone, not a final stop. The incumbent NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, has had the post since 2006, and his current deal runs through March 2024. While Goodell has not said this is his last contract, most assume that’s the case (a spokesman, Joe Lockhart, said so in December 2017, though Goodell has repeatedly rejected that he has made any decision on that score).

Warren, 55, is “one of those handful of people that are in the NFL right now that could very well be considered as a future commissioner,” said Marc Ganis, a sports consultant with close ties to Goodell. “Whether it’s the NFL or another league, he is a meaningful candidate.”

https://theathletic.com/1066578/2019/07/10/kevin-warren-is-leaving-for-the-big-ten-but-will-he-be-back-in-the-nfl-with-an-even-bigger-role/

• Like 1