Tony Boselli passed over for Hall of Fame again

pwny

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

He isn’t going to get in next yr either with Ed Reed, Tony Gonzales, and Champ Bailey who will be added to the list in 19 and are expected to be first ballot plus he has to deal with leftovers from this year. 

Yea I seriously feel like he will never get in. I know he didnt have a long career but damn you know if he played for GB or Dallas he’d get in

I'm still more annoyed about Fred Taylor tbh.

Hopefully Boselli can find a way in next year.  The Jaguars becoming a relevant team today can only help him in that...putting this franchise into common NFL conversation just means more airtime for Tony, and more chances for his name to come up in association with that...which tends to be the sort of thing that helps a HoF case these days.

There's at least 2 first ballot locks, if not 3 though.  So that's some spots already filled...who knows.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Would you guys say he’s more deserving than Faneca, Mawae or Hutchinson?

He played in a healthy 6 year window from 95-2000 where the league best Left Tackle were Willie Roaf, Larry Allen, John Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Will Shields (played LT a season), all of them Hall of Famers. From 1996-2000, Boselli was the best Left Tackle in football. He was better than every one of those guys mentioned earlier. 5 years of being the premier player at a position.

The only reason he isn’t in is because of longevity. Whether he deserves in more than others who played at an elite level - but honestly probably not as good - for longer, I can’t answer that. But I do know that I believe that being the best at your position for 5 years, when you were competing against 5-6 future Hall of Famers, should earn you a spot in the Hall.

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

He played in a healthy 6 year window from 95-2000 where the league best Left Tackle were Willie Roaf, Larry Allen, John Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Will Shields (played LT a season), all of them Hall of Famers. From 1996-2000, Boselli was the best Left Tackle in football. He was better than every one of those guys mentioned earlier. 5 years of being the premier player at a position.

The only reason he isn’t in is because of longevity. Whether he deserves in more than others who played at an elite level - but honestly probably not as good - for longer, I can’t answer that. But I do know that I believe that being the best at your position for 5 years, when you were competing against 5-6 future Hall of Famers, should earn you a spot in the Hall.

That’s a fair argument, but longevity certainly plays a role.

I think you could argue that all of those guys were arguably the best at their positions too, all having more first team all pro honors to prove it (nearly twice as many for Hutchinson, actually twice as many for Faneca and more than twice as many for Mawae).

I remember just how damned good he was, but at least right now it’s hard to say his resume is better than any of these guys who are are still waiting too.

As far as the guys you mentioned all have at least as many All Pro’s, most having more, and all of them having more Pro Bowls, some significantly more (double even).

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I remember just how damned good he was, but at least right now it’s hard to say his resume is better than any of these guys who are are still waiting too.

I mean sure, you can say this. But he didn’t lose out to any of these guys. He’s also been waiting 8 years longer than Mawae, 9 years longer than Faneca, and 11 years longer than Hutchinson. 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as the guys you mentioned all have at least as many All Pro’s, most having more, and all of them having more Pro Bowls, some significantly more (double even).

Well yes. Because they played longer. They’re all elite talents who played long careers. They racked up awards based on longevity. They deserve to be in the Hall. My point is that there was 5-6 Hall of Fame talents in that era and Boselli stood above them all. He was that good.

There wasn’t 5-6 Hall of Fame talents that the three you mentioned were playing at the same time as at the same position. They’re great players, probably fully capable of deserving to be in the Hall. But they didn’t stand atop an elite era, the way it shows so positively for Boselli.

I want him to make it so badly. Not just because he is in teal but because he was so freakin good. People say Taylor will never get in because he wasn't the top of the top but now Boselli is getting it for the opposite reason, not good for long enough. Terrell Davis played 7 seasons, 3 of which we garbage and 1 was good but not great albeit very efficient but he is in the HOF

On 2/9/2018 at 5:07 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I want him to make it so badly. Not just because he is in teal but because he was so freakin good. People say Taylor will never get in because he wasn't the top of the top but now Boselli is getting it for the opposite reason, not good for long enough. Terrell Davis played 7 seasons, 3 of which we garbage and 1 was good but not great albeit very efficient but he is in the HOF

A guy like Terrell Davis is in because of the stage that his peak took.  He's the poster child for a guy getting in on "memorability"...which imo, is better than the guys who get in with a bit of a "sigh, well he had good stats i guess".  You have to remember, it's the Hall of Fame.  Not the "Hall of Guys who were really good", or the "Hall of Statistics".

That's where i'm so much more peaved about Fred Taylor, who to my estimation...was truly famous and well known for his elite ability.  Whereas Boselli was...idk.  Nobody outside of "serious football junky" circles ever seemed to talk much about the guy even at his absolutely elite peak.  Maybe i'm mis-remembering, but that's always been my impression as someone about as far outside the Jacksonville market as one can get.

Archived