Tony Boselli passed over for Hall of Fame again

pwny

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

A guy like Terrell Davis is in because of the stage that his peak took.  He's the poster child for a guy getting in on "memorability"...which imo, is better than the guys who get in with a bit of a "sigh, well he had good stats i guess".  You have to remember, it's the Hall of Fame.  Not the "Hall of Guys who were really good", or the "Hall of Statistics".

That's where i'm so much more peaved about Fred Taylor, who to my estimation...was truly famous and well known for his elite ability.  Whereas Boselli was...idk.  Nobody outside of "serious football junky" circles ever seemed to talk much about the guy even at his absolutely elite peak.  Maybe i'm mis-remembering, but that's always been my impression as someone about as far outside the Jacksonville market as one can get.

The position he plays doesnt help add to his fame. As important as everyone says LT is, average fans couldn’t tell you about the greats

On 2/11/2018 at 3:14 AM, Tugboat said:

That's where i'm so much more peaved about Fred Taylor, who to my estimation...was truly famous and well known for his elite ability.  Whereas Boselli was...idk.  Nobody outside of "serious football junky" circles ever seemed to talk much about the guy even at his absolutely elite peak.  Maybe i'm mis-remembering, but that's always been my impression as someone about as far outside the Jacksonville market as one can get.

I mean Fred was voted into exactly zero Pro Bowls and only got into the one in 2007 because someone pulled out. I don’t know how “famous” that makes him. I mean sure, fans who care enough to go on football forums know he was great, but the lack of recognition from the average fan in Pro Bowls really puts a dent in the idea that he was famous for his play.

On 2/11/2018 at 6:00 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The position he plays doesnt help add to his fame. As important as everyone says LT is, average fans couldn’t tell you about the greats

Yeah.  Absolutely, Tony's position hurts him in that regard.  If it were up to me, only the most remarkable of OLinemen would end up in the hall.  They're hugely important, but it's just...unsung heroes in the trenches.  Nobody else really cares all that much about anybody else's good linemen they've had over the years.

14 hours ago, iPwn said:

I mean Fred was voted into exactly zero Pro Bowls and only got into the one in 2007 because someone pulled out. I don’t know how “famous” that makes him. I mean sure, fans who care enough to go on football forums know he was great, but the lack of recognition from the average fan in Pro Bowls really puts a dent in the idea that he was famous for his play.

lol @ Pro Bowl voting as a measure of anything really.  If you lean on that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Notoriety begets fame sort of thing.  How well known Freddy was in spite of that deficiency on his HOF resume (and the played in Jacksonville during his prime penalty), is impressive in its own right imo.  Maybe that's a product of fantasy football culture?  Madden games?  idk.  But i doubt i honestly doubt i know more than 1 or 2 people here who could tell me who Tony Boselli is/was.  People who have at least casually followed football know who Fred Taylor was though, at least...vaguely.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

lol @ Pro Bowl voting as a measure of anything really.  If you lean on that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Notoriety begets fame sort of thing.  How well known Freddy was in spite of that deficiency on his HOF resume (and the played in Jacksonville during his prime penalty), is impressive in its own right imo.  Maybe that's a product of fantasy football culture?  Madden games?  idk.  But i doubt i honestly doubt i know more than 1 or 2 people here who could tell me who Tony Boselli is/was.  People who have at least casually followed football know who Fred Taylor was though, at least...vaguely.

The Pro Bowl isn’t a measure of how good a player is, but I don’t know how you can say it isn’t a measure of how much the general public is aware of a player’s greatness compared to their contemporaries. Fred got passed over for those Pro Bowls because he wasn’t as well known by the public as all those other players. 

19 hours ago, iPwn said:

The Pro Bowl isn’t a measure of how good a player is, but I don’t know how you can say it isn’t a measure of how much the general public is aware of a player’s greatness compared to their contemporaries. Fred got passed over for those Pro Bowls because he wasn’t as well known by the public as all those other players. 

Agreed. While fan voting is incredibly dumb which is why they dont partake in HOF voting, the fact Fred only went to 1, does have a direct impact on his chances on the HOF

Archived