The Case for AJ Mccaron as Bridge QB1; Feb. 15 UFA Decision

Mind Character

------------------------------------------------

Someone please tell me why AJ Mccaron is so awful?

6ft 3. 220 pounds

He had a 30 TD to 3 INT year at Bama his Junior year surrounded by A++ talent leading to a BCS NC title.

Followed by a 28 and 7 INT at Bama his Senior year surrounded by A++ talent leading to a BCS NC title.

His stock dropped as media reports stated that at the combine he came off as Cocky and Arrogant. " It was reported that teams felt during pre-draft interviews that he came across cocky and over-confident. When asked what his best attribute was during an interview at the combine, McCarron responded, "Winning!"

He had the stigma of being a game manager due to the superior talent around him at Bama.

He also was thought to not have a plus arm.

He had full control of the offense at Bama and understands pro schemes.

When he came out in the draft I did no digging on him and believed what I was told via the sports media and draft rumor mills.

Then, one day last year, when I heard that we might be interested in him I watched all of his pro snaps at the Bengals and watched half of the games his senior year and a handful his Junior year.

I was blown away at his deep ball touch and accuracy; his ability to adjust at the line. Specifically, watch his play in the pros, he's throwing bombs 50 yards down the field dropped in the bucket to AJ Green.

He also gets the ball out fast.

He's a limited athlete that has trouble avoiding the rush.

In summary, those who hate on his ability to be a winning prospect really need to watch the tape.

1. Here's Bucky Brooks breaking down "Why AJ McCarron is Better Than You Think | X's & O's Film Breakdown | NFL Now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgotbAzeOMM

2. Here's some 2015 Highlights:

I'm telling you, Mccaron surrounded by talent is no HOFer or All pro, but he's definitely can get you 8 wins.

I've been on the Mccaron train for over a year as a solid bridge QB that can buy you 2 years of bench time for your young developing QB to watch from the sidelines.

During those 2 years, Mccaron can get you 7-8 games.

36 minutes ago, dawgattack said:

If he becomes a FA, would he receive an offer to play in a better landing spot than a 1 and 31 team who plans to draft his successor with the 1st overall pick?

Likely not.

He hasn't played a game since 2015, and there are no coaching staffs connected to him during his time with the Bengals that would likely believe in him to be the guy.

Ken Zampese and Hue Jackson are the only real believers out there.

He'll likely get a Mike Glennon 17-18million a year deal that basically is just a 2 year commitment and favorably constructs the contract to frontload money so that if he has to be cut for cap savings after year 2 the dead money and cap number wouldn't hurt the team.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

What will he cost?

Mike Glennon money.

The new market prices are insane...23-32 million a year with huge guarantees for player with starting impact history.

Mccaron has few starts, likely will command a 14-16million a year deal, with all guarantees frontloaded so that we can cut bait after 2 years if we need to.

If he was a free agent last year, he'd likely get 10-12 million a year, but the new market value based on these massive contracts soon to be dolled out will raise that 10-12 to a 14-17 million a year,

it's just the going rate for a starting QB

Just stop with the nonsense already and take the QB #1 overall. Sam Darnold has been #1 since last season and has done nothing to prove he is not worth the pick since. Don't overthink it and Brown's this thing up. Saquan Barkley at #4 and trade up from #33 for Calvin Ridley and lets have a legit NFL offense for once.

I keep telling people that if I can survive going 0-16, red right 88, the move, the fumble, the drive, the hue, and living in Steeler country then I will always survive as a Browns fans, but honestly if they doink around and Browns this thing up and try to get lucky with some joe schmo QB again then I might finally say flip it.

Im cool with signing him to a 2 year prove-it deal, and taking our QB at 1, with the promise that AJ will have the entire 2018 season. If he succeeds to be average-above average QB, he set himself up for either an extension with us or another team that needs a QB, assuming we move to Sam/whomever we drafted in 2018. Win-Win.

3 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Just stop with the nonsense already and take the QB #1 overall. Sam Darnold has been #1 since last season and has done nothing to prove he is not worth the pick since. Don't overthink it and Brown's this thing up. Saquan Barkley at #4 and trade up from #33 for Calvin Ridley and lets have a legit NFL offense for once.

I keep telling people that if I can survive going 0-16, red right 88, the move, the fumble, the drive, the hue, and living in Steeler country then I will always survive as a Browns fans, but honestly if they doink around and Browns this thing up and try to get lucky with some joe schmo QB again then I might finally say flip it.

AJ is not our future as far as Im concerned, but I do want a bridge QB for this ENTIRE season.  Otherwise, I agree with you entirely.

1 minute ago, Fatgerman said:

AJ is not our future as far as Im concerned, but I do want a bridge QB for this ENTIRE season.  Otherwise, I agree with you entirely.

That is fine and all but McCarron is not going to come here to be a bridge. He is young and wants a chance to start. Go get a bridge QB then. That is what we need whether the guy starts or not we need a veteran QB in the room. Ryan Fitzpatrick is out there. Matt Moore has been a great backup his entire career and is a now available. Tyrod Taylor may be available. Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford all available. Those guys a bridge QBs not McCarron.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If AJ Mccaron loses his UFA grievance, then we have to immediately trade for Tyrod Taylor.

God no.  I'd rather sign Bradford or even Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore.  I agree with the AJ assessment, his play late in 2015 impressed me (like that mean anything lol)  I'd like to have him but even if he wins his appeal, would he come here with a wunderkid waiting in the wings?  If I were him, I wouldn't.  Regardless of his decision, ours should not be Taylor.  

Archived