The Case for AJ Mccaron as Bridge QB1; Feb. 15 UFA Decision

Mind Character

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not so sure about that.

Would be a problem methinks with Cousins, too.

They both seem to want to be the man, not the mentor.

I guess a birdge more than anything. 

AJ knows our system, he likely won't have a shot anywhere else to start. 

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not so sure about that.

Would be a problem methinks with Cousins, too.

They both seem to want to be the man, not the mentor.

Right on, neither will accept a possible secondary role as a mentor to our QB drafted #1 overall. They both will only go to a team that guarantees they will be a starter for years to come.

Besides that, McCarron is a totally unproven commodity. Nobody even cares what he did at Alabama, where he was always clean in the pocket and had ages to find an open receiver and he hasn't played enough at Cincy to really get much of a read on him. He is still strictly potential and hardly has enough experience to tutor anybody, even if he was willing to do it.

Even signing Taylor will be difficult, because he has had a taste at starting and will not be interesting in being a stop gap QB for 7 or 8 games with us. In all likelihood whoever we draft as our QB, with the first overall pick, will also likely start from day 1, because we will have no other options available, unless we stick Kizer back in.

Guys, we are going to continue to struggle in 2018 IMO, 2019 will be our breakout season if Haslam does not screw it up and I do not want to give up a 2nd round pick for any QB who will only start for us for 7 or 8 games. We need every asset we have, if we want to be a winner and a contender in 2019!!!

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Guys, we are going to continue to struggle in 2018 IMO, 2019 will be our breakout season if Haslam does not screw it up and I do not want to give up a 2nd round pick for any QB who will only start for us for 7 or 8 games. We need every asset we have, if we want to be a winner and a contender in 2019!!!

Agree.

Starting to look like Chase Daniel might be someone we chase...get it, chase Chase?

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

Agree.

Starting to look like Chase Daniel might be someone we chase...get it, chase Chase?

I agree he may be an option, but I’m not sure he should be.

8 years in the league and he’s attempted a total of 78 passes and has thrown for all of 1 TD.

While he may be able to provide the “veteran presence” we need and all that, there’s nothing to indicate he could actually play football well enough to start and win some games for us.

I’m hoping we get someone with a little longer resume.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Most likely, yes.  My point being he’s not going to just step in and know 95% of the offense like he would have if Hue we’d still calling Hail Marys plays.

It's a tough call, most HC's have final say on the OC's game plan and can make any changes they want, but then again, in Cleveland, who knows who is calling the shots???

44 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

It's a tough call, most HC's have final say on the OC's game plan and can make any changes they want, but then again, in Cleveland, who knows who is calling the shots???

Game plan is fine, I’m sure Hue never said “I’m only going to run the ball twice after halftime”, but he did in the moment.

We just need a guy who can focus solely on the offense/playcalling and allow Hue to be the HC because he can’t do both.

On 2/4/2018 at 2:36 PM, hornbybrown said:

You would be signing him before you draft the wunderkid 

I don't think that matters much - sign him and then draft a QB #1 or #4, the result is the same - clock begins to tick on AJ before the 1st camp snap is taken.  

On 2/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Mind Character said:

There's no one else that believes in AJ like our staff, and no other team will anoint AJ the QB1 with a big contract and forego drafting or acquiring another wunderkind. So, no matter the situation AJ will be walking into a place where that FO will be trying to upgrade the position, but in Cleveland he'd be going to a plae where people belive in him.

A little uninformed there as Bradford is considering retirement and could barely walk/move for 2 months even though he was cleared without any knee/ligament damage meaning his knee is done/shot. He can't give a team more than 8 games and this year he couldn't even last more than 2 games when experience a noncontact injury on a knee that just won't hold up.

According to Bradford himself upon returning to practice in the playoffs," I don't know what the future holds for it, I don't know how it's going to hold up..."

Ryan Fitzpatrick is garbage....

Matt Moore is absolute garbage....

Tyrod provides a lot of what Alex Smith provides except more impactful via the run.

Tyrod Taylor

js5PKtM.png

Alex Smith

0OkJFfq.png

Good stats, not gonna deny that - but as anyone in Buffalo what Tyrod's prospects are and you'll get an eye test answer.  He's not clutch in any way, certainly not the kind of guy who's gonna or can strap the offense on his back and carry them forward.  

As for the other options, to me a bridge guy helps the rookie as well as hold down the fort, as it were - not a franchise QB or even a mid-level perhaps, but someone who can win a few games and aid in the transition (I always think of Gary Danielson when Bernie came on board)  

Lastly, I'm a game-day observer, 1st to admit it.  Love the Browns but I do not spend hours pouring over youtube vids or PFF stats to make a point.  When someone pays me for analysis, maybe I'll change my ways but until then, plenty of experts in here to carry that torch.  

14 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Right on, neither will accept a possible secondary role as a mentor to our QB drafted #1 overall. They both will only go to a team that guarantees they will be a starter for years to come.

Besides that, McCarron is a totally unproven commodity. Nobody even cares what he did at Alabama, where he was always clean in the pocket and had ages to find an open receiver and he hasn't played enough at Cincy to really get much of a read on him. He is still strictly potential and hardly has enough experience to tutor anybody, even if he was willing to do it.

Even signing Taylor will be difficult, because he has had a taste at starting and will not be interesting in being a stop gap QB for 7 or 8 games with us. In all likelihood whoever we draft as our QB, with the first overall pick, will also likely start from day 1, because we will have no other options available, unless we stick Kizer back in.

There is not an infinite number of teams in the NFL. There are only 32. That means 32 starting QB jobs. Our 2018 QB room will include a veteran who has won at least one NFL game.

4 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Good stats, not gonna deny that - but as anyone in Buffalo what Tyrod's prospects are and you'll get an eye test answer.  He's not clutch in any way, certainly not the kind of guy who's gonna or can strap the offense on his back and carry them forward.  

As for the other options, to me a bridge guy helps the rookie as well as hold down the fort, as it were - not a franchise QB or even a mid-level perhaps, but someone who can win a few games and aid in the transition (I always think of Gary Danielson when Bernie came on board)  

Lastly, I'm a game-day observer, 1st to admit it.  Love the Browns but I do not spend hours pouring over youtube vids or PFF stats to make a point.  When someone pays me for analysis, maybe I'll change my ways but until then, plenty of experts in here to carry that torch.  

Yeah Tyrod's not clutch...he just led the team to the playoffs with a garbage corps of offensive lineman and wide receivers with a 18 TOT TD; 4 INT ratio.

He's the very definition of a bridge QB according to your definition (a guy that helps the rookie as well as holds down the fort not a franchise QB or even a mid-level perhaps, but someone who can win a few games and aid in the transition (I always think of Gary Danielson when Bernie came on board) 

Tyrod is as professional as they come...never opening his mouth negatively despite all the foolery that has gone on with him in Buffalo. He's the consumate team player, and helped Nate Peterman this year as well as EJ Manuel last year..

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Most likely, yes.  My point being he’s not going to just step in and know 95% of the offense like he would have if Hue we’d still calling Hail Marys plays.

You are being totally unfair to Hue. I've seen him call other plays, like, wait, let me think about it...oh yeah, there was that one totally awesome failed QB sneak on 2nd and Goal from the 2 with 15 seconds (and no timeouts) left vs the Lions. 

Just now, dawgdish said:

You are being totally unfair to Hue. I've seen him call other plays, like, wait, let me think about it...oh yeah, there was that one totally awesome failed QB sneak on 2nd and Goal from the 2 with 15 seconds (and no timeouts) left vs the Lions. 

To be fair, I think Kizer called his own number on that one iirc.

Archived