The Case for AJ Mccaron as Bridge QB1; Feb. 15 UFA Decision

Mind Character

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah Tyrod's not clutch...he just led the team to the playoffs with a garbage corps of offensive lineman and wide receivers with a 18 TOT TD; 4 INT ratio.

He's the very definition of a bridge QB according to your definition (a guy that helps the rookie as well as holds down the fort not a franchise QB or even a mid-level perhaps, but someone who can win a few games and aid in the transition (I always think of Gary Danielson when Bernie came on board) 

Tyrod is as professional as they come...never opening his mouth negatively despite all the foolery that has gone on with him in Buffalo. He's the consumate team player, and helped Nate Peterman this year as well as EJ Manuel last year..

Really?  Consummate team player?  Pretty sure he made a claim about being benched because of his skin color....not a "team first" move in the eyes of most.  And try as I might, I can't seem to find any mention of Peterman crediting Taylors tutelage for his roaring success.  I guess we'll just ignore Taylors benching too, you know, cause he's so clutch.  I dunno, maybe I'm biased - though I'm Brown & Orange thru and thru, I was born & raised in Buffalo so I still follow them; 95% of my family (AVID Bills fans one and all) are still there and neither I, they or anyone we know of thinks he's the QB you think you see.  Could well be we're all flat wrong - or maybe you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to him and he brings to the table.  Good news is it doesn't really matter either way as neither of us gets paid by the Browns FO for our opinions.  

7 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Really?  Consummate team player?  Pretty sure he made a claim about being benched because of his skin color....not a "team first" move in the eyes of most.  And try as I might, I can't seem to find any mention of Peterman crediting Taylors tutelage for his roaring success.  I guess we'll just ignore Taylors benching too, you know, cause he's so clutch.  I dunno, maybe I'm biased - though I'm Brown & Orange thru and thru, I was born & raised in Buffalo so I still follow them; 95% of my family (AVID Bills fans one and all) are still there and neither I, they or anyone we know of thinks he's the QB you think you see.  Could well be we're all flat wrong - or maybe you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to him and he brings to the table.  Good news is it doesn't really matter either way as neither of us gets paid by the Browns FO for our opinions.  

Every piece of evidence (teammates, coaches, players of all races, media, etc) points to Tyrod being a consummate leader, professional, and great teammate.

To suggest otherwise, is to cherry pick the facts to fit a preconceived narrative or belief about Tyrod Taylor.

He has many flaws as a player, but we have to let the facts speak for themselves.

1. Why was he benched each time? &

• It's widely known according to Bills beat writers and players that the first time he was benched was so that Bills would not be on the hook for his contract as Doug Whaley did not see him as the franchise guy when his hand picked number 9 overall pick EJ Manuel was still on the roster.
  • The next time he was benched Buffalo was firmly holding to a playoff spot and Tyrod was thought by fans and media to be leading a deficient in talent offense to rugged wins and late game come backs via timely big yardage plays and an elite ability to protect the ball.
  • The Pegula's along with Mcdermot wanted to go with the younger QB for reasons in the Buffalo media deemed as "sending a message that losing 2 games in a row is unacceptable."

2. What was the response of Tyrod's teammates/coaches each time he was benched??

3. Did Tyrod actually "Blame" his skin color on his benching, or are you pulling that take out of your rear-end to justify your belief on Tyrod...Let's look at what he said and the context

• In a long interview (http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/) covering a wide variety of topics prompted by the interviewer with particular questions to get a response, Tyrod talked about his season, his career, his teammates, and how he is perceived.
  • He talked about himself not being the GM Doug Whaley's (who was/is African American) guy at QB.
  • At one point when prompted with a question about if being Black affects people's perception of him....his response was:

“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

Pressed on the subject, he continues.

“I wouldn’t say it’s just an African-American quarterback thing. It’s an African-American athlete thing – or just an African-American thing,” he says, “And that’s not anything I just found out. It’s been that way since I was a kid.”

His words cut to the heart of the hypocrisy behind the labeling of Newton as overly emotional and a sore loser, while Tom Brady and Rivers’ on-field antics are celebrated as passionate competitiveness.

Taylor discussed the notion that most African-American passers are labeled as “mobile” while noting that white quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr — who are both athletic — get labeled as pocket passers.

“They claim that we’re not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor said. “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

According to Pro Football Reference, Taylor has the most rushing yards (1,269) among quarterbacks since 2015. Only four of the top 10 quarterbacks in rushing yardage since 2015 are African-American, so Taylor makes a valid point.

“I’m held to a higher standard – and I welcome that,” Taylor said. “Because it’ll make me a better player.”

• Nothing Tyrod said was incorrect or wrong and he was not specifically blaming his benching on "Being Black" as you incorrectly suggested. There's a reason why in a majority African American player league Head Coaches are not African American as a majority, there's a reason why in a majority African American player league that offensive coaches and OCs are NOT African American as a majority...that reason is well known as a remnant of societal beliefs that African American's are not intellectual enough nor do they have the mental/thinking capabilities required to be Quarterback, Head Coach, or Offensive play calling genius....Those beliefs have been challenged by key figures over the years, but the remnant perception remains at an unconscious level for many. it's why amongst other reasons according to Matt Waldman RSP that Lamar Jackson is improperly thought of as just WR prospect and not a developmental QB while Josh allen is purely QB prospect instead of a TE prospect.

• Tyrod is not thought of as a cerebral, careful, calculating, QB despite putting up similar numbers to Alex Smith on sh*ttier teams. People don't revere his professionalism, his work ethic, and his ability to rally his teammates around him. There are multiple reasons why that is. As with all things, they are multiply-determined. With there being many components of explanation and multiply determined reasons for Tyrod's perception to be what it is....Tyrod offered a few reasons from not being Doug Whaley's guy, thought of only as bridge QB by the Pegula's, and also spoke of one aspect that has been long recognized as a historical factor in the perception of Quarterback like him.

I'm down with McCarron. He is a competitor and a winner. He has an NFL arm and always has. The game manager label was always garbage. He makes NFL reads and has made those reads in actually NFL games. He stands tall in the pocket which is hard to teach NFL rookies. He can be more than just an a QB that keeps a team a float. I believe he can lead a team to the playoffs.

If he wins his case then Browns should be all over him. Money doesn't really matter even if we draft Sam Darnold. If he doesn't win his case and we have to give up assets to get him then I say to as draft picks do matter because I would still want to draft Darnold.

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

I just don’t get the love with McCarron. Even with those highlights posted I see some inaccuracies. Cheap bridge guy? Yeah ok, no freaking way QBOTF. 

Just draft Darnold. JDD for short. 

For my money, Cousins is probably the only potential non-bridge QB acquisition that we could choose at QB this off-season. Anyone else should be supplemented with Darnold. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

For my money, Cousins is probably the only potential non-bridge QB acquisition that we could choose at QB this off-season. Anyone else should be supplemented with Darnold. 

Agreed.

We can forget about Cousins though lol, dude seems smart enough to know better than to sign here.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yep. I’m fairly confident we’ll draft Darnold. 

18 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I hope you are right but never pretend to know the logical to be a sure thing with this organization based on past precadent.

No lie, I’ll be nervous right until they announce his name. Or throwing objects at puppies. 

Just kidding about the puppies thing. 

On 2/7/2018 at 2:06 AM, Mind Character said:

Every piece of evidence (teammates, coaches, players of all races, media, etc) points to Tyrod being a consummate leader, professional, and great teammate.

To suggest otherwise, is to cherry pick the facts to fit a preconceived narrative or belief about Tyrod Taylor.

He has many flaws as a player, but we have to let the facts speak for themselves.

1. Why was he benched each time? &

• It's widely known according to Bills beat writers and players that the first time he was benched was so that Bills would not be on the hook for his contract as Doug Whaley did not see him as the franchise guy when his hand picked number 9 overall pick EJ Manuel was still on the roster.
  • The next time he was benched Buffalo was firmly holding to a playoff spot and Tyrod was thought by fans and media to be leading a deficient in talent offense to rugged wins and late game come backs via timely big yardage plays and an elite ability to protect the ball.
  • The Pegula's along with Mcdermot wanted to go with the younger QB for reasons in the Buffalo media deemed as "sending a message that losing 2 games in a row is unacceptable."

2. What was the response of Tyrod's teammates/coaches each time he was benched??

3. Did Tyrod actually "Blame" his skin color on his benching, or are you pulling that take out of your rear-end to justify your belief on Tyrod...Let's look at what he said and the context

• In a long interview (http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/) covering a wide variety of topics prompted by the interviewer with particular questions to get a response, Tyrod talked about his season, his career, his teammates, and how he is perceived.
  • He talked about himself not being the GM Doug Whaley's (who was/is African American) guy at QB.
  • At one point when prompted with a question about if being Black affects people's perception of him....his response was:

“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

Pressed on the subject, he continues.

“I wouldn’t say it’s just an African-American quarterback thing. It’s an African-American athlete thing – or just an African-American thing,” he says, “And that’s not anything I just found out. It’s been that way since I was a kid.”

His words cut to the heart of the hypocrisy behind the labeling of Newton as overly emotional and a sore loser, while Tom Brady and Rivers’ on-field antics are celebrated as passionate competitiveness.

Taylor discussed the notion that most African-American passers are labeled as “mobile” while noting that white quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr — who are both athletic — get labeled as pocket passers.

“They claim that we’re not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor said. “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

According to Pro Football Reference, Taylor has the most rushing yards (1,269) among quarterbacks since 2015. Only four of the top 10 quarterbacks in rushing yardage since 2015 are African-American, so Taylor makes a valid point.

“I’m held to a higher standard – and I welcome that,” Taylor said. “Because it’ll make me a better player.”

• Nothing Tyrod said was incorrect or wrong and he was not specifically blaming his benching on "Being Black" as you incorrectly suggested. There's a reason why in a majority African American player league Head Coaches are not African American as a majority, there's a reason why in a majority African American player league that offensive coaches and OCs are NOT African American as a majority...that reason is well known as a remnant of societal beliefs that African American's are not intellectual enough nor do they have the mental/thinking capabilities required to be Quarterback, Head Coach, or Offensive play calling genius....Those beliefs have been challenged by key figures over the years, but the remnant perception remains at an unconscious level for many. it's why amongst other reasons according to Matt Waldman RSP that Lamar Jackson is improperly thought of as just WR prospect and not a developmental QB while Josh allen is purely QB prospect instead of a TE prospect.

• Tyrod is not thought of as a cerebral, careful, calculating, QB despite putting up similar numbers to Alex Smith on sh*ttier teams. People don't revere his professionalism, his work ethic, and his ability to rally his teammates around him. There are multiple reasons why that is. As with all things, they are multiply-determined. With there being many components of explanation and multiply determined reasons for Tyrod's perception to be what it is....Tyrod offered a few reasons from not being Doug Whaley's guy, thought of only as bridge QB by the Pegula's, and also spoke of one aspect that has been long recognized as a historical factor in the perception of Quarterback like him.

How much time did you spend on this yearning to prove a point in a for-fun football blog?   Good God ....

27 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Don’t encourage him

He should tho! Make him think he should be paid. It will force him to put up a pay wall on his posts. We only see the first few sentences and we can keep more on. Save the scroll wheel on your mouse lol

Archived