4 Round Mock Offseason - *Updated 2/15*

Rich7sena

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

We've seen Bill Belichick jettison players he perceives as being on the decline before. Chung's role as a nickel backer might be better suited for a younger player. The Patriots would save $1,200,000 if they cut him loose.

On the decline? Belichick just called him one of the best players in the NFL and he’s not really declining at all. 

4 hours ago, Smhx2519 said:

Mike McCoy got an 8-8 season out of Tim Tebow and a playoff win. Tebow’s last game in Denver. The Broncos were wise enough to know that was not a long term recipe for success. Jackson is simply a faster version and may not be as good a passer. If you like him that much draft him to your team. I hope the Cardinals brass is smart enough not to go that direction. 

I don't think there is much crossover between Tebow and Jackson. I consider Jackson as a markedly better passer than Tebow and a more potent -- albeit different -- runner.

37 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think there is much crossover between Tebow and Jackson. I consider Jackson as a markedly better passer than Tebow and a more potent -- albeit different -- runner.

You see something in Jackson I do not. Either way him and Tebow will have something in common, very short nfl careers as quarterbacks. 

Believe me, I'm a Josh Jackson fan, but if the Rams re-sign Trumaine and Joyner AND NRC, doesn't spending a 1st round pick (when they don't have a 2nd in this draft) amount to overkill.  They still have Kayvon Webster coming back from injury.  This is a deep enough corner draft that if you're reasonably 3-deep already at the position, a team can afford to wait until mid/late Day 2.  The board isn't ideal with Payne having gone a couple picks prior, but if there wasn't a modest trade-back opportunity, I'd have to feel like they'd be looking at an EDGE guy even if they were bringing in Irvin (as, based off what you're showing, that would mean Barwin was walking) to give them the flexibility of either trading or releasing Robert Quinn at a later date to create cap-space necessary for an Aaron Donald extension.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:23 AM, Rich7sena said:

What players do you think the Browns wouldn't be inclined to pass up if they're there at 4 or 33?

IMO you are reaching on Guice, I wouldn't even be considering him until the 2nd round.  I also think your trade of Kizer sucks.  It's difficult to figure who's still on the board because of your format but I still firmly believe that these trades downward are of very little value to the Browns. 

On 2/12/2018 at 9:51 AM, AlNFL19 said:

On the decline? Belichick just called him one of the best players in the NFL and he’s not really declining at all. 

This.

Belichick absolutely loves Chung, I'd say there's zero chance that he gets cut. Plus, there are plenty others Belichick can cut to create cap space

Small typographical error before I start: You misspelled Georgia with the Nick Chubb selection by San Francisco. 

And so I begin. 

Cleveland: Again with Ross Cockrell, eh?  So the Browns are going to pass on Minkah Fitzpatrick at #11, address one of their top two needs so they can reach badly for a running back? 

New York: So the Giants are going to go into next season with Ereck Flowers and Player 2 [Insert Coins] at offensive tackle with Eli Manning still at quarterback?  That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it works out for them. 

Why would the Broncos trade for Nick Foles and DeShone Kizer?  And why would Philadelphia trade Nick Foles away?  Yeah a second round draft pick is valuable, but you know what else is?  A backup quarterback with a reasonable contract who is a Super Bowl MVP.  We don't know when Carson Wentz will be healthy and we don't know if he can stay healthy.  Even worse, it's highly unlikely the Eagles will be able to get a quarterback even half as good for the money they're saving by trading Foles.  And while I'm at it, why would Denver trade for DeShone Kizer at all?  There are maybe three quarterbacks who had any kind of playing time last year who would be a significant downgrade for the Broncos and somehow they're trading for one.  And then they're trading away Aqib Talib so they can sign Muhammad 'Albert Haynesworth 2.0' Wilkerson?  Why? 

If the Jets are going to draft Rosen, why are they signing Sam Bradford instead of bringing back Josh McCown?  I would think McCown would better fit the role of veteran backup/mentor than Bradford, who probably still thinks of himself as a marquee quarterback despite his inability to stay healthy. 

Green Bay: So why did Minkah Fitzpatrick fall this far?  And why does a team that has spent so many years investing so many picks in their secondary (five first or second rounders since 2014) to the detriment of the rest of their defense (and their secondary too) draft him? 

Baltimore: I don't think Baltimore would use all of their available cap room and their third round pick to trade for an aging Dez Bryant at this stage of his career.  Especially when they would have to let Mike Wallace go (to Dallas) to do it. 

Philadelphia: I've already addressed the Nick Foles trade, so I won't go over that again,  I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Philly doesn't address WR early even if they let Torrey Smith go.  They drafted Mack Hollins in the mid rounds last year and I expect him to step into a starting role in his second season. 

On 2/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, Crickett said:

Small typographical error before I start: You misspelled Georgia with the Nick Chubb selection by San Francisco. 

Thanks.

Cleveland: Again with Ross Cockrell, eh?  So the Browns are going to pass on Minkah Fitzpatrick at #11, address one of their top two needs so they can reach badly for a running back? 

What's wrong with Ross Cockrell? He's young and showed he's a starting caliber corner in the league? Plus, the Browns have money to spend. Every team's board is different. There isn't a universal board every team drafts from so "steals" and "reaches" are highly subjective.

New York: So the Giants are going to go into next season with Ereck Flowers and Player 2 [Insert Coins] at offensive tackle with Eli Manning still at quarterback?  That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it works out for them. 

Steve Gettlemen has historically not selected offensive lineman highly in the draft despite need.

Why would the Broncos trade for Nick Foles and DeShone Kizer? The Broncos have issues at quarterback and one way to address the issue is to load up on start-able assets -- like the vikings.  And why would Philadelphia trade Nick Foles away? Howie Roseman has historically been trigger happy with trades. The Eagles do not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. It's unlikely Foles will net as much value in the future  Yeah a second round draft pick is valuable, but you know what else is?  A backup quarterback with a reasonable contract who is a Super Bowl MVP.  We don't know when Carson Wentz will be healthy and we don't know if he can stay healthy.  Even worse, it's highly unlikely the Eagles will be able to get a quarterback even half as good for the money they're saving by trading Foles. And while I'm at it, why would Denver trade for DeShone Kizer at all?  There are maybe three quarterbacks who had any kind of playing time last year who would be a significant downgrade for the Broncos and somehow they're trading for one. And then they're trading away Aqib Talib so they can sign Muhammad 'Albert Haynesworth 2.0' Wilkerson?  Why? They're not trading Aqib Talib away so they can sign Albert Haynesworth. They're trading him away to clear cap room. You seem to have dogmatic views on players so I won't argue on the merits of signing someone like Wilkerson.

Green Bay: So why did Minkah Fitzpatrick fall this far?  And why does a team that has spent so many years investing so many picks in their secondary (five first or second rounders since 2014) to the detriment of the rest of their defense (and their secondary too) draft him? 

Safeties tend to go lower than most people think and I don't think the NFL views him has being a better prospect than Jamal Adams. Despite the investments in the position in the past, the Packers still don't have a good secondary. If he's there it's perfectly plausible he's the pick.

Baltimore: I don't think Baltimore would use all of their available cap room and their third round pick to trade for an aging Dez Bryant at this stage of his career.  Especially when they would have to let Mike Wallace go (to Dallas) to do it. 

Joe Flacco has had success with veteran receivers before (Boldin, Smith). Mike Wallace is a free agent.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

What's wrong with Ross Cockrell? He's young and showed he's a starting caliber corner in the league?

Well you're half right. 

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Steve Gettlemen has historically not selected offensive lineman highly in the draft despite need.

With the exception of 2016, the Carolina Panthers have drafted an offensive linemen with one of their top three picks every year.  In 2017, it was a late second rounder.  Often that third pick is a fourth round draft pick, however.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The Broncos have issues at quarterback and one way to address the issue is to load up on start-able assets -- like the vikings

I can understand that.  A team like Denver needing a QB as badly as they do.  They need a starting caliber QB as badly as anyone in the league.

Soooooo why do you have them trading for Kizer again? 

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

They're not trading Aqib Talib away so they can sign Albert Haynesworth. They're trading him away to clear cap room.

Oh, my mistake.  They're trading Aqib Talib to clear cap room.  And then using that cap room to sign Muhammad 'Albert Haynesworth 2.0' Wilkerson.  That's totally different than trading Aqib Talib so they can sign Wilkerson.  My apologies. 

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Safeties tend to go lower than most people think and I don't think the NFL views him has being a better prospect than Jamal Adams. Despite the investments in the position in the past, the Packers still don't have a good secondary. If he's there it's perfectly plausible he's the pick.

Okay, as much as I don't want to admit it, I can see your point about safeties.  I may think Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to go in the top six, but I thought Malik Hooker was too and that clearly didn't happen. 

16 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Joe Flacco has had success with veteran receivers before (Boldin, Smith). Mike Wallace is a free agent.

1. Mike Wallace is a veteran receiver. So is Jeremy Maclin.

2. Mike Wallace is not likely to cost as much as Dez Bryant, which I would assume why Dallas would sign him after dumping Dez.  At the same time, their production was similar last year.  However, while Mike Wallace may at least have some speed, Dez is basically Kelvin Benjamin with better name recognition.  Or at least that's what he looked like to me in 2017. All things being equal, I'd pick Wallace at this stage of their careers.  But things aren't equal at all.  Dez will cost more money, bring more headaches and require a draft pick.  For a cash strapped team like the Ravens, it makes no sense whatsoever. 

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Mock updated:

• additional free agents
  • off-season changes
  • 4 rounds

And now im sad again compared to what it was :(   It went from great to below avg at this point.  Every single player we took besides Clapp i would have at best taken a round later and even then was pushing it.  I wouldn't have touched them in the round we took them in at all and that goes triple for Brown ay DT in the 2nd round.   Their are tons of DT's i take before him in this draft and i would have taken him maybe in the 4th round.    The last draft you gave us when you added Pugh as a FA was A+ Quality i would say this one is a C or C-

1.28 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

2.60 - Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

3.92 - Jesse Bates, DB, Wake Forest

Love the 1st and 3rd round picks.  Still question any logic for getting a QB in this draft. Tyquan Lewis, Tim Settle or Jerome Baker would all work there.

Archived