Straight Canton, homie!

Klomp

4 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Well he got traded and the carousel of QB's we've had in Minnesota didn't do him any favors.

He had Daunte for 5 years.  There wasn't really a carousel of QBs when he was here ever.  He had Cunningham and George the first 2 years, but then he had Daunte for the rest of his time and then Favre for his 2nd short stint.  His underachievement was all on him.  

On 2/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, SemperFeist said:

Yet Moss was never able to elevate his team enough to win the Super Bowl. 

Talented, yes, Moss was the most talented wide receiver, but talent doesn’t equal greatness. Rice’s production, longevity, and results are what make him the greatest. 

Rice never was the guy that led the team to win a Super Bowl. He was on a teams tho that did. 

For me, it is hard to compare the two. Completely different types of receivers.

Moss was the best down the field threat receiver, the best receiver with the ball in his hands in the open field, the best receiver in tight coverage. Wouldn’t be afraid to even say he was the best in the Redzone.

Rice was the most sure handed and possession receivers that has ever came through. 

Long term numbers dont mean much to me when I am saying who is the greatest.

I tend to lean Moss for the fact I saw his whole career and we just have never seen anything like him. We see receivers like Rice. 

35 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Moss could've re-written the record books.  In many ways, I will always think of Randy as bit of a disappointment.

18 minutes ago, disaacs said:

That is exactly my sentiment.  For me, it'll always be what coulda been.  

Aside from VV's disappointment part I agree with both posts. He was damn fun to watch. I do agree with disaaacs "what coulda been" comment as well. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I tend to lean Moss for the fact I saw his whole career and we just have never seen anything like him. We see receivers like Rice. 

Doesn't that lend more credence to the fact that Rice was more influential?  There weren't really any receivers like Rice before Rice.  Therefore, I'd find it even more impressive to see what Rice accomplished, given that there "are so many more like him."  Moss was a unique talent, which gave him a step up.  The fact that he didn't necessarily accomplish everything that he could have is a negative mark, because he basically started with a 100-yd head start.

Just now, disaacs said:

Doesn't that lend more credence to the fact that Rice was more influential?  There weren't really any receivers like Rice before Rice.    

There is, but there isn’t really many people that can “be Moss”

Really the only thing similar to Moss with what he could do was Calvin Johnson.... and I don’t even think he was all that similar. 

Nobody was Rice before Rice, but during his time of play even players just started to play that way. People will struggle to replicate what Moss did.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

There is, but there isn’t really many people that can “be Moss”

Really the only thing similar to Moss with what he could do was Calvin Johnson.... and I don’t even think he was all that similar. 

Nobody was Rice before Rice, but during his time of play even players just started to play that way. People will struggle to replicate what Moss did.

Yet, if I had to pick between Moss and Rice as the starting WR on my team...I would pick Rice.  No one was more competitive or worked any harder than Jerry Rice!  Cris Carter comes in 2nd for work ethic.  Rice had raw talent when he came into the league, and he made himself into a great route runner...no one could cover him one on one!  He became the most productive receiver to play the game, and even in this era, I think it'll be decades before his records get eclipsed.  Montana and Young were undoubtedly great quarterbacks...but Rice made them even better!  They made one another better.

I hated the '49'ers of that era!  I thought they were way to dominant...like the Patriots of recent years.  But, as time has gone by, my emotions are a little more under control, and I can now appreciate just what special football players Rice, Montana and Young were.

8 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I hated the '49'ers of that era!  I thought they were way to dominant...like the Patriots of recent years.  But, as time has gone buy, my emotions are a little more under control, and I can now appreciate just what special football players Rice, Montana and Young were.

i loved those teams, loved watching them execute, loved watching them perform under pressure.

as much as i loved and respected Fran Tarkenton as a QB, i would take Joe Montana 10 times out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, disaacs said:

He had Daunte for 5 years.  There wasn't really a carousel of QBs when he was here ever.  He had Cunningham and George the first 2 years, but then he had Daunte for the rest of his time and then Favre for his 2nd short stint.  His underachievement was all on him.  

It's interesting to hear a conversation about a player's "underachievement" in a thread celebrating his first ballot enshrinement to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  

Daunte was an ok QB, but neither he, Cunningham, or George were anywhere near the level of Joe Montana or Steve Young.  What happened the first time he actually did have a quarterback of that quality (in New England)?  He broke one of Rice's major records.  It would be interesting to see what he would have accomplished if he had been drafted by the Patriots.

Archived