Straight Canton, homie!

Klomp

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It's interesting to hear a conversation about a player's "underachievement" in a thread celebrating his first ballot enshrinement to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  

Daunte was an ok QB, but neither he, Cunningham, or George were anywhere near the level of Joe Montana or Steve Young. 

It is interesting, but I believe it's warranted.  As good as he was, anyone who watched Randy Moss for the extent of his career can't say he didn't underachieve based upon the gifts he had.  If he had had the work ethic anywhere close to Jerry Rice, I believe he would have been productive a lot longer than he was and wouldn't have precipitously dropped off.  He relied too much on his physical gifts for his productivity and not enough on developing his skills as a wide receiver.  

On 2/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, disaacs said:

Doesn't that lend more credence to the fact that Rice was more influential?  There weren't really any receivers like Rice before Rice.  Therefore, I'd find it even more impressive to see what Rice accomplished, given that there "are so many more like him."  Moss was a unique talent, which gave him a step up.  The fact that he didn't necessarily accomplish everything that he could have is a negative mark, because he basically started with a 100-yd head start.

Could it be considered just as big of a head start to be drafted by a team that went 15-1 and won the Super Bowl the year before you got there?

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

It is interesting, but I believe it's warranted.  As good as he was, anyone who watched Randy Moss for the extent of his career can't say he didn't underachieve based upon the gifts he had.  If he had had the work ethic anywhere close to Jerry Rice, I believe he would have been productive a lot longer than he was and wouldn't have precipitously dropped off.  He relied too much on his physical gifts for his productivity and not enough on developing his skills as a wide receiver.  

Yes.  I agree 100%. 

Buck, I happen to think that Moss was, physically gifted, a great receiver.  My argument is that if he had applied the same ethic as Rice or Carter, then he would've been the greatest ever, and would have made Cunningham, George and Culpeper seem like Joe Montana and Steve Young!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

a great interview with the Denver DB who gave up Moss' TD toss to Moe Williams, and how he groans every time he sees the highlight film of it. 

“I’m sure I’m probably going to get some friends from high school who will say, ‘man you know what I just saw?’ And I’ll say, ‘you saw it, I lived it.’”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/like-wrong-end-quintessential-randy-moss-play/

by the way... was that play recorded as a TD pass from Culpepper or something else?

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

by the way... was that play recorded as a TD pass from Culpepper or something else?

LOL on Pro Football Reference, Williams got the TD reception, not Moss. Moss did get 44 yards receiving on the play though, while Williams only got 15.

52 minutes ago, Klomp said:

LOL on Pro Football Reference, Williams got the TD reception, not Moss. Moss did get 44 yards receiving on the play though, while Williams only got 15.

Moss should have the reception and yards gained until he pitched it, Williams should just have the receiving yards from where he received the pitch and credit for the TD - no reception.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Moss should have the reception and yards gained until he pitched it, Williams should just have the receiving yards from where he received the pitch and credit for the TD - no reception.

Right, that's what I meant....just worded horribly.

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Wouldn't they be rushing yards?

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wouldn't they be rushing yards?

I believe that because yardage was accumulated as the result of a completed pass, all yards are receiving yards. The QB is credited with a completed pass, all of the yardage, and the TD.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I believe that because yardage was accumulated as the result of a completed pass, all yards are receiving yards. The QB is credited with a completed pass, all of the yardage, and the TD.

This is how it was recorded, yes.

Archived