This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

On 10/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, Joe said:

Pretty convinced the Vikings are blowing it up at the end of the season with the Ngakoue trade today. 

Unfortunately, they tied themselves to Kirk Cousins through next year.  He's got a $31M cap hit, and his dead cap is $41M if they release him after this season.  He'll be on the roster next year.  Only way he isn't is if they Brock Osweiler him.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, packfanfb said:

So, it's a net loss for sure (glad to see) -- but this was merely damage control and getting the best return possible. The one good thing I'll say is kudos to the FO for admitting the problem and doing something about it. This could have turned out even worse for Minny had they not made this move today. 

Post of reason here.  This was about recouping value, plain and simple.  I'm not sure anyone expected the Vikings to implode like they did.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Just because they did damage control dosent mean it still wasn’t a bad decision to trade for him. Both can be true.

It is because they've imploded on themselves. IF the Vikings were 5-1, would you say the same thing?

On 10/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, coachbuns said:

Nobody knew a thing ... it turned out badly for them.  They couldn't afford him except for this year ... they ended up losing money and draft capital.  It is what it is ... it's fine with me.

They could have made it done.  It would have cost them some of their starters this year.  Riley Reiff would have been a cap casualty if he isn't already.  You'd trade/release Kyle Rudolph if it meant re-signing Yannick.

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, they tied themselves to Kirk Cousins through next year.  He's got a $31M cap hit, and his dead cap is $41M if they release him after this season.  He'll be on the roster next year.  Only way he isn't is if they Brock Osweiler him.

I wasn't saying they'd get rid of him. What's around him, however....

I think it's also pretty obvious that Minnesota will draft a QB this year or next. Wouldn't be surprised if they traded up in the 1st to grab someone if they're sitting at pick 10 or 12. How they'll do it is a mystery, but it wouldn't surprise me if they figured out a way to do so. That defense has lost much more than we expected and with Zimmer on the hot seat, you can't help but think Zygi will can him and Spielman and then let the fresh blood reconfigure the team. They've already got the offense pretty much in check outside of a questionable OL, but they need to rethink the front-7 of that defense. They're very strong at ILB obviously, but that DL has lost a ton. They'd be well served moving to an odd front, trading a couple ILB's for picks, and continue to add at CB.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think it's also pretty obvious that Minnesota will draft a QB this year or next. Wouldn't be surprised if they traded up in the 1st to grab someone if they're sitting at pick 10 or 12. How they'll do it is a mystery, but it wouldn't surprise me if they figured out a way to do so. That defense has lost much more than we expected and with Zimmer on the hot seat, you can't help but think Zygi will can him and Spielman and then let the fresh blood reconfigure the team. They've already got the offense pretty much in check outside of a questionable OL, but they need to rethink the front-7 of that defense. They're very strong at ILB obviously, but that DL has lost a ton. They'd be well served moving to an odd front, trading a couple ILB's for picks, and continue to add at CB.

I think you're going to see a team that's going to desire to improve their QB situation, but it's largely dpendent on their draft position.  Right now, they're currently slotted at 6 which means they're likely outside of the range to select Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.  Especially when they deal their SRP to Jacksonville as part of the Yannick Ngakoue deal.  Moving up from 6 to 3 cost Indianapolis TWO SRPs that year and one in the future year.  Minnesota is armed with zero.  They've got legitimately ZERO ability to move up unless they're willing to deal into future FRPs.  Between the NY Jets, Washington, Atlanta, and Jacksonville, two of those teams will walk away with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

They’re not. And they aren’t a 5-1 roster and never were. That’s the issue. 

But you're using the power of hindsight to justify why at the time of the trade it was a bad move.  You can say it's a bad trade now because we know the Vikings imploded.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But you're using the power of hindsight to justify why at the time of the trade it was a bad move.  You can say it's a bad trade now because we know the Vikings imploded.

I don't necessarily follow the line of thinking here. Part of being a GM is knowing your team and your roster. That defense with no DT or CB talent was always going to hold them back. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't necessarily follow the line of thinking here. Part of being a GM is knowing your team and your roster. That defense with no DT or CB talent was always going to hold them back. 

I think the 2 rookie CBs will turn out to be pretty decent though. May be one less hole to plug for them in the draft.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, did you expect the Vikings to be this bad?