This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

32 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Eh

If by 'eh' you mean he's not bad, then I definitely agree for this year (jury still out long term),  I'm just trying to figure out what a quality win is.  Beating the Bears after Rodgers went down for a half seems quality to me, but the argument is that Trubisky sucks so it doesn't count.

2 hours ago, KFP7 said:

How many playoff caliber games would you say we've had?  Chicago is 6-3 but because their qb is bad they still don't qualify?  I don't really see how any team can rack up playoff caliber wins when there is always a reason why a win wasn't playoff caliber.  Outside of the Rams/Patriots which games do we have that would count?  Just the Vikings?  Or will this Thursday also count?  I'm assuming if we lose it will, but if we win Seattle is 4-6 and all of a sudden not a playoff caliber team....

They all count. Just use your eyes and brain and form an opinion. Our best game may have been in a loss.

My opinion is our record is perfectly indicative of our play. 4-4-1 seems a perfect way to describe our season. 

11 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

If by 'eh' you mean he's not bad, then I definitely agree for this year (jury still out long term),  I'm just trying to figure out what a quality win is.  Beating the Bears after Rodgers went down for a half seems quality to me, but the argument is that Trubisky sucks so it doesn't count.

Jury is definitely still out. Through 9 weeks, though, I’m not sure how anyone can call him “bad.”

Edited by malak1

Opinion here:  every win is a quality win.  GB, by my eye test, has “looked” rather average and their record and ranking for O and D support this.  GB may be playing rather average, but I think they are above average and have the potential to play like they’re above average.  They need at least five more wins this season to have a remote chance at the playoffs, and they must beat their division rivals - 3 games - if they want a chance, IMO.  Agree with Cannondale that our best performance/effort came in a loss.  Everyone is smarter in their own mind.  The sun is the center of the solar system, and the earth is round.

• Like 2

From Detroit:

Lions right guard T.J. Lang may have played his last game in Detroit. The team announced Wednesday it is placing him on injured reserve.

He started six games in his second season with the Lions, playing 282 snaps. He played only one full game while dealing with brain, back, neck and hip injuries

He's had quite a few concussions, time to hang 'em up and a million thanks for everything TJ, class act all the way.
He scored $19 million guaranteed when he signed the deal, good for him

I don't think this team has looked average very much so far. I think they've looked equal parts near-elite and near-incompetent.

They've had stretches in games where they can move the ball at will multiple drives in a row, seemingly unstoppable. They've had entire quarters of shutdown defense (including vs a top QBs and top offense).

They've also had stretches where nothing worked in any of the three phases, compounded by infuriating numbers of high leverage mistakes- swings that should even out but this year are more often than not going against them. Special teams miscues (so many penalties, a bizarre stretch of missed FGs, a blocked punt, a couple successful punt fake conversions), fumbles in close games in crucial situations (Montgomery vs Rams, Jones vs NE) and coming out on the wrong side of high-leverage rulings (early stretch of Clay hits, love-slap-ejection, Lions 1-yard 'fumble'). Sure they've had a few big breaks go their way (late King INT to save the game vs 49ers probably the biggest) but in general they just are getting the ****-end of the stick on these calls- sometimes their fault and fixable but just as often simply the pendulum of fate that we can expect to even out in the long run.

Sure you can average all those stretches out and look at the record and conclude that this is an 'average' team, but they hardly ever play like it. I see a high ceiling team that is running out of time to prove they can achieve that potential this year because of early missed opportunities. In a 20 game season I'd feel pretty great about this team right now. As is I'm concerned we're just one poorly timed injury or bad bounce or over-desperate decision away from missing out on the 12-team lottery ticket for another SB.

Edited by Acrid Josher

On 11/14/2018 at 6:06 PM, Shanedorf said:

He's had quite a few concussions, time to hang 'em up and a million thanks for everything TJ, class act all the way.
He scored $19 million guaranteed when he signed the deal, good for him

But we made a HUGE mistake letting him go.  Or at least I was told.  That comes down to just over $1M/game he played in.

Giants might give the Bears a run for their money.  Looks like everybody is starting to buy into Shurmur the last couple weeks.  Not the best competition, but confidence can go a long way.  They've got a far outside shot at the playoffs, so maybe they'll help miracle propel our season just like they did in 2010. 

Super Bowl still coming to us this year. 

• Like 1

Dont look now but it appears the NFC East might be Dallas's to lose.

Alex Smith is done for the year - I question how far Colt McCoy is gonna carry them and wouldnt be suprised if WA runs off a string of losses.

Meanwhile, Philly is having all sorts of problems with injuries - especially on defense.

Watching Brees is starting to make me dislike Rodgers. Every throw comes out fast and on the money, he rarely has to extend and make plays outside of the pocket. He plays he position the way it's suppose to be played. Rodgers is broken, I hope they can find a coach who can get him fixed.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Watching Brees is starting to make me dislike Rodgers. Every throw comes out fast and on the money, he rarely has to extend and make plays outside of the pocket. He plays he position the way it's suppose to be played.

And he delivers the ball using his shoulder as well......

• Like 1

Just now, St Vince said:

Watching Brees is starting to make me dislike Rodgers. Every throw comes out fast and on the money, he rarely has to extend and make plays outside of the pocket. He plays he position the way it's suppose to be played.

Careful with this.  You don't want to say these things round these parts.