This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Saw this the other day. Could be more of a Pagano v. Fangio as an explanation for the drop off, but the Amos/Dix discussion is interesting in terms of the impact on Jackson.

Lots of moving parts in that assessment.  

--DC changed

--Amos vs HaHa

--Hicks getting interior pressure vs not

--overall defense 2018 vs 2019

Most likely answer is it is some combination of those + more variables

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, squire12 said:

--DC changed

--Amos vs HaHa

I'm with you. There was bound to be some regression from that team just due to how good they were last year. 

I think safety is more of an opportunistic "lucky" position in general. They mostly feast on overthrows and tipped/dropped passes more so then just directly shadowing there guy. 

57 minutes ago, squire12 said:

--DC changed

--Amos vs HaHa

I'd think one of those additional variables would be a tougher schedule.....at least on paper. As the division winner in 2018 they should have been set up for a tougher slate of games this year. How those teams actually performed in 2019 - not something I've researched.

• 3 weeks later...

It's kinda fun to have a Bears fan as a coworker right now. Last night he told me he has hope that "If they stay hot and win out they could sneak into the playoffs." I got to remind him they play the Chiefs, Packers, and Vikings so it's much more likely they lose out and even if they do win out it incredibly unlikely they pass the Rams since the Rams beat them head to head and even if that somehow miraculously does happen that means they probably have Trumisky and Nagy for longer. Watching him go from 12 to 6 so fast was priceless. 

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

It's kinda fun to have a Bears fan as a coworker right now. Last night he told me he has hope that "If they stay hot and win out they could sneak into the playoffs." I got to remind him they play the Chiefs, Packers, and Vikings so it's much more likely they lose out and even if they do win out it incredibly unlikely they pass the Rams since the Rams beat them head to head and even if that somehow miraculously does happen that means they probably have Trumisky and Nagy for longer. Watching him go from 12 to 6 so fast was priceless. 

Saw a thing last night where the Dallas playoff % dropped from something like 74 to 72%
The Chicago playoff % went up from 1.something to 2.7....or something like that.

• 1 month later...

I thought the Bears were in trouble with cap space.  Yikes.  Look at the Vikings.  Here are all their free agents next to their PFF grade. 

Griffin - 77.6
Waynes - 65.1
Anthony Harris - 90.5 (that is ****ing elite)
Alexander - 65.7
Dan Bailey
Britton Colquitt

So if they cut Rhodes to make cap space, they've got zero legitimate corners under contract. 

They're 10 million dollars OVER the cap next year already, and none of the players they can cut are nobodies. 

Everson Griffin is still a good end.  They virtually have to cut him to save 13 million.  That gets them out of the hole only. 

Cut Riley Reif to save 4.4 million with THAT offensive line?
Linval Joseph saves 8 million.  That only means they lose Linval Joseph.
Xavier Rhodes saves less than 4 million.  There's 4 million, no cornerbacks.
Cutting Harrison Smith saves them 6 million dollars.  That's one of the best safeties in football. 

And that's it.  Every other player on their roster either costs more to cut (Thielen, Barr, Kendricks, Rudolph) or saves less than 1 million dollars (Cook, Elflein).

Considering the Bears are going to have to make cuts just to be able to afford rookies and the minimum additions they need, the Vikings are going to have to cut probably 20 million from their roster. 

Assume that they get 10 million just from restructuring (which is generous I think, but I'm not sure how all that works), they'd HAVE to cut at least 10 million from current contracts, and that means for sure losing two of Griffin, Reif, Joseph, Rhodes, Smith. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I thought the Bears were in trouble with cap space.  Yikes.  Look at the Vikings.  Here are all their free agents next to their PFF grade. 

Griffin - 77.6
Waynes - 65.1
Anthony Harris - 90.5 (that is ****ing elite)
Alexander - 65.7
Dan Bailey
Britton Colquitt

So if they cut Rhodes to make cap space, they've got zero legitimate corners under contract. 

They're 10 million dollars OVER the cap next year already, and none of the players they can cut are nobodies. 

Everson Griffin is still a good end.  They virtually have to cut him to save 13 million.  That gets them out of the hole only. 

Cut Riley Reif to save 4.4 million with THAT offensive line?
Linval Joseph saves 8 million.  That only means they lose Linval Joseph.
Xavier Rhodes saves less than 4 million.  There's 4 million, no cornerbacks.
Cutting Harrison Smith saves them 6 million dollars.  That's one of the best safeties in football. 

And that's it.  Every other player on their roster either costs more to cut (Thielen, Barr, Kendricks, Rudolph) or saves less than 1 million dollars (Cook, Elflein).

Considering the Bears are going to have to make cuts just to be able to afford rookies and the minimum additions they need, the Vikings are going to have to cut probably 20 million from their roster. 

Assume that they get 10 million just from restructuring (which is generous I think, but I'm not sure how all that works), they'd HAVE to cut at least 10 million from current contracts, and that means for sure losing two of Griffin, Reif, Joseph, Rhodes, Smith. 

Vikings have some of the best $ guys in the business, with the Saints, but yeah not sure what they do here. Bringing Barr back meant they were going to lose guys.

Griffin, Rhodes, Linval and Reiff going is probably likely. They have some young guys at DE to step in, not sure what they do about the interior though, guess that becomes a draft priority. 

They have Mike Hughes and Holton Hill at corner, it could be worse but yeah a draft priority for them. 

OL is still a mess. Their biggest needs are for sure OL, DT, CB. 

How much does Anthony Harris get? This is 2 years in a row I think with an elite PFF grade. Someone will pay him something the Vikes can't afford. 

@Outpost31 It actually doesn't look TOO bad now that I'm on OTC. With the rookie pool they're looking at about $10m over like you said. 

They could cut Griffin and either Reiff/Linval and save $21-23m, which puts them $13m under considering draft pick salaries. Then they could restructure one of Reiff or Linval. Linval has 3 years remaining, would save almost $7m, Reiff has 2 years left would save $5m.

They have some options...

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I thought the Bears were in trouble with cap space.  Yikes.  Look at the Vikings

That's nothing news.  Early reports have Xavier Rhodes as a likely cap casualty, and that's savings of $8.1M, which would push them to $2.7M which would be enough to squeeze their draft class in.  Linval Joseph is a likely cap casualty as well, and that frees up $10.6M.  And they're probably going to do something with Everson Griffen.  Could restructure him or ask him to take a paycut.  Anthony Barr could be restructured as well.