This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

@Outpost31 It actually doesn't look TOO bad now that I'm on OTC. With the rookie pool they're looking at about $10m over like you said. 

They could cut Griffin and either Reiff/Linval and save $21-23m, which puts them $13m under considering draft pick salaries. Then they could restructure one of Reiff or Linval. Linval has 3 years remaining, would save almost $7m, Reiff has 2 years left would save $5m.

They have some options...

Except that their defense is getting old.  They're already overrated, now they're getting old.  Everyone is trying to blame the OC for their last performance, but the blame needle is starting to point to Spielman.  Just hope they don't get rid of Zimmer,  he's the piece that keeps them for going further. 

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Bears hired Bill Lazor as OC. He's gotten pretty mediocre at best to poor results as an OC previously. Nagy is going to continue to call plays. Seems like a relatively inconsequential move. Hopefully it fails miserably. 

It's the Bears. Clearly it will. It's their fate. It's destiny :)

17 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Except that their defense is getting old.  They're already overrated, now they're getting old.  Everyone is trying to blame the OC for their last performance, but the blame needle is starting to point to Spielman.  Just hope they don't get rid of Zimmer,  he's the piece that keeps them for going further. 

Vikings window is closing.  Defense getting older as mentioned, OL is a disaster, QB is nothing without play action, shifting $$ around kicks the can down the road (see Saints/Brees).  Their draft position is in the mid 20's so nothing elite unless they give up more choices.  Of course they can cut players for savings ... they also have to replace them  ... how and with what?  Will be fun watching for sure.   

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Plus I hear suggestions of extending Cousins. While I realize in the short term that could free up cap space, I still love it. Commit to Cousins for a REALLY long time please!

I actually think if you give Cousins a good Oline and a smart OC, he will do well - provided you continue giving him weapons like Diggs, Thielen, Cook, and Rudolph.  I like bagging on the guy as much as the next person, but there's some ways the Vikings can help him excel.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I actually think if you give Cousins a good Oline and a smart OC, he will do well - provided you continue giving him weapons like Diggs, Thielen, Cook, and Rudolph.  I like bagging on the guy as much as the next person, but there's some ways the Vikings can help him excel.

They paid him like a difference maker and he is NOT.  Read what you just wrote and tell me that isn't the case for every fricken QB in the league.  Two Pro Bowl type WRs and a Pro Bowl caliber RB and he still needs more! He's got an alleged defense that gets him the ball back and he's still incredibly mediocre. They'll extend Cousins because their GM can't recognize QB talent.  Cousins will be in Minnesota for the next five years and they won't sniff a deep playoff run for the duration of his career.

• Like 1

Just now, Dubz41 said:

They paid him like a difference maker and he is NOT.  Read what you just wrote and tell me that isn't the case for every fricken QB in the league.  Two Pro Bowl type WRs and a Pro Bowl caliber RB and he still needs more! He's got an alleged defense that gets him the ball back and he's still incredibly mediocre. They'll extend Cousins because their GM can't recognize QB talent.  Cousins will be in Minnesota for the next five years and they won't sniff a deep playoff run for the duration of his career.

Lol.  Yep. 

The Vikings have spent the following draft selections on offense:

18th overall - Center
50th overall - Tight End
102nd overall - Running Back
114th overall - Guard

62nd overall - Offensive Tackle

41st overall - Running Back
70th overall - Center

For comparison, that is more offensive players selected in the top 115 than the Packers have used since 2013. 

Seven offensive players drafted in the top 115 in the last three years for the Vikings and Cousins still needs more? 

He's also got Thielen and Diggs on top of all that? 

How much help does a 90 million dollar QB need?  While having a top defense? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Whoa Dubz, simma down son.  I never said he lived up to his contract, nor did I say he was ever capable of that.  Read what "I" wrote and admit that I never said that.  Good - now we're on equal footing again.

I watched every Viking game this year (like an idiot) and what I saw consistently on a weekly basis were two common themes - crappy oline play and crappy play calling.  Cousins?  He was better statistically than most this season - NOT $90 million better, but better than most.  Not saying Stefanski was crap, just that I was scratching my head constantly at his decisions.  Improve play-calling and the oline, and that offense and Cousins improves - maybe not world beaters, but they improve.  Not to mention the injuries to Cook and Thielen this season.

Again, I didn't proclaim Cousins to be a world beater, or a GOAT, or worth $90 million.  But that $90 million investment can "return" more than it is right now.

• Like 1

I think the VIkings can and will do worse at QB. As a resident of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for 17 out of the last 20 years it sure sounds like the fan pressure to get rid of Cousins will have them at the very least kick tires elsewhere this offseason. My prediction is a Drew Brees or a Brady, etc. will hit the open market and it will be too tempting for them not to take a shot - but they'll miss,  and the fallout from that will be Cousins mutually wanting out as well. 

I'd wager this was the Vikings last year of competitive football for the next 1-2 years at best with all the change they have to sort through this offseason.

Edited by ccecilnosebleed

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

Plus I hear suggestions of extending Cousins. While I realize in the short term that could free up cap space, I still love it. Commit to Cousins for a REALLY long time please!

If you were Cousins, would you sign an extension?  If/when he hits free agency, again, he will get a deal even better than what he has now.  Cap goes up.  New CBA coming.  Cousins has bet on himself before.  I can see him doing it again and getting an Obnoxious deal.

• Like 2