This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm obviously the biggest fan of safeties possibly on this site and not even I understood why the Jets took Adams.  Not saying I doubt Adams will be good, but when you have the sixth overall pick and your team is as devoid of offensive talent and talent in general, don't think safety is going to do much for you.  It's the same reason I was upset the Colts took Hooker.  A safety isn't going to do too much for you, especially as a rookie, if the rest of your team/defense aren't that great.  Hooker should have a better year than Adams just because teams will have to pass a lot to keep up with the Colts, but still...

To make matters even worse, what did the Jets do with their second pick, close to a low first round pick?  They took another safety. 

It's alright.  They'll make up for it with their third/fourth round picks.  They'll try to get some offensive linemen for next year when they take a QB.  Nope, they go WR/WR.  So nobody good can throw to them.

I was just so disappointed with what the Jets did.

I imagine the idea is get purely the highest graded players. They're gonna suck anyways. Why try to win 6 games instead of 3 or force yourself into a QB you don't like, etc. They're very obviously not trying to win this year.

I loved the Adams pick. In 3-4 years if they get a QB and someone to throw to...I think it'll look good. I think he's gonna be a pro bowler a few times. Maybe even early.

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Has anybody looked at the Jets roster recently? How do you let it get that bad?

Just discussing this the other day at a bar. Though after I looked again I was probably harsh calling it a 2 win team. The could probably win 3 or 4 lol.

Every now and then I'll joke with a guy online who think he could be a GM, but as far as personnel, it seems really hard to do much worse.

Hope they turn out around. Haaaate seeing teams in the gutter for long periods.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

I imagine the idea is get purely the highest graded players. They're gonna suck anyways. Why try to win 6 games instead of 3 or force yourself into a QB you don't like, etc. They're very obviously not trying to win this year.

I loved the Adams pick. In 3-4 years if they get a QB and someone to throw to...I think it'll look good. I think he's gonna be a pro bowler a few times. Maybe even early.

Yes they're going to suck anyway, but even I don't think you build a team from the safeties up.   I don't think safety is a very good piece to build a team around.  I think safeties should come when you've got SOME pieces around them.  Just looking at what happened to us last year, we have two top 20 safeties in the league arguably, and they were pretty much helpless because our corners made them helpless. 

Looking at who was available for the Jets, I would have gone McCaffrey, Lattimore or Humphrey before Adams.  A corner often only has to be responsible for their guy, and don't the Jets run a lot of man coverage?  I'm probably wrong there, but I just feel like it's going to waste his first year and I hate to see wasted years by high potential players. 

I also think that if you're a bottom dwelling team, you should try to fix your offense before you try to fix your defense.  You can sell tickets a lot easier if your team is scoring points, and you at least have a chance in a blowout if your offense can score points.  But as we've seen with a few teams recently, if your offense is devoid of talent, you're not competing too soon. 

The Jets have had 9 first round picks in the past 8 years.  Every single one of them has been defense.  They've hit on Williams, Richardson and Wilkerson, but what's that done for them?  If they kept every single team under 21 points this year, they still wouldn't win 8 games.  And looking at their roster right now, even if they hit on a QB next year, their offense STILL isn't going to be good enough to win 8 games. 

If they had taken McCaffrey with their one or even Cook with their 2, they'd be much closer than they are now.  Except they took two safeties, which won't help them for the next two years considering they've got the worst offense on paper I think I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I was just so disappointed with what the Jets did.

I don't really have any issues with the Jets taking the highest rated player on their board, assuming that's what they did.  Personally, I had Malik Hooker and Marshon Lattimore rated above Adams but I don't fault the Jets for taking him instead.  It's after that I had questions.  The whole draft seemed really out of place for me.

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Looking at who was available for the Jets, I would have gone McCaffrey, Lattimore or Humphrey before Adams.  A corner often only has to be responsible for their guy, and don't the Jets run a lot of man coverage?  I'm probably wrong there, but I just feel like it's going to waste his first year and I hate to see wasted years by high potential players. 

Seriously....you would have taken McCaffery with the void of talent in all the places.  WIth the short shelf life for RB's, spending a top pick on a RB in a rebuild as dire as what the Jets are going to be doing is a waste of a pick.  By the time the team has a chance of being decent, McCaffery is 4-5 years into the NFL.  

If you are doing so to sell tickets.   Not sure you need to do that in todays NFL.  Revenue sharing and TV deals are where the vast majority of $$ is made.

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

At the end of the day, it goes back to your draft grades.  The only players I had above Adams were Malik Hooker and Marshon Lattimore and given their injury histories, I don't really fault the Jets for passing on them in favor Adams.  And I didn't view McCaffrey as the kind of back that would make the Jets' offense legitimate.

Yeah, I would have taken McCaffrey if I were the Jets just to hope it got me SOME offense.  Actually, just looked up their performance from last year to make a point.  Turns out they were 28th in defensive scoring.  Didn't bother looking up the offense.  I thought they might have been like 20th in defensive scoring and 30th in offensive scoring. 

Basically, if I'm building a team, I'd build the offense first, defense second.  The Colts have had an atrocious defense for like four years now, but since they have Luck, they've at least been somewhat competitive. 

On 7/25/2017 at 5:24 PM, CentralFC said:

2/9 seasons for Rodgers (22.2%)

13/16 (!!!!!!!) for Brady (82%)

7/18 for Manning (39%)

Pretty damn revealing. 

I hope to good in my lifetime that the masses think for one second and then realize that it is a team sport and Championships do not make a player.

Playoffs odds are somewhat dependent on who else is in your division

ATL might be lower because: they lost the SB, had a worse defense than the 2016 Packers and have some solid competition in Panthers, Saints and Bucs. They also lost their OC. I think that's why some knock ATL down a notch in the playoff adds

I don't have a problem with defensive backs, I have a problem with defensive backs without a pass rush.  It made more sense for the Jets than the Colts.  Jets have three damn good players up there.  The Colts have... Who? 

Defensive backs, like any player, can get ruined if they develop bad habits early. 

It's like... They say safeties are the QB of the defense.  The Colts drafting Hooker is like a team drafting a QB without an offensive line or receivers. 

I love the value the Colts got with Hooker, I just think it's dangerous to put a safety loaded with talent and potential in that defense.