This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

I'm gonna disagree and say that the Cousins addition to MIN is pretty damn scary. As I've said elsewhere, who was Drew Brees at Cousins's age (29)? Just a "good, not great" QB.

I'm not saying Cousins is the next Brees, but he's a good QB that helped a laughing-stock of a franchise become decently competitive again. QB's really only hit their stride after 30, so they are going to get this guy's best, and he has done well with *less of a supporting cast. I'm not panicked (he's not elite right now), but definitely concerned. Sure, they'll lose some players over this, but I doubt they will regret it over getting their franchise QB.

Truth told, Packer fans' stoicism/ridicule/dismissal of this deal kinda reminds me of how we similarly dismissed the trade for Jared Allen, saying they gave up too much and that would not work out too well... as he went on to terrorize us for years. Again, you get yours at a premium position and you probably won't regret it.

*save for one year

I personally think Cousins will help them a good deal. He's not an elite QB (as his own former GM/Executive described him: "He's not special") - but with the spread of their talent on offense - he'll fit right in. He can make all the throws.

I'm a bottom line guy.  Bottom line is that neither Favre nor Allen helped the Vikings win a Super Bowl.  The Chargers let Brees go because they drafted a franchise QB.  The Redskins let Cousins go and replaced him with Alex Smith.

Cousins had two top ten offensive linemen (one of them an all-pro left tackle, the other a pro bowl guard), a top three receiving tight end, Garçon, Jackson and more as weapons and he didn't manage 30 touchdown passes.  

In spite of everything Cousins has had as far as teammates, and his former coordinator is now making Garroppolo look like a Hall of Fame QB, I don't think Cousins is all that scary at all.  

Especially not at 3 years, 84 million dollars.

28 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm a bottom line guy.  Bottom line is that neither Favre nor Allen helped the Vikings win a Super Bowl.  The Chargers let Brees go because they drafted a franchise QB.  The Redskins let Cousins go and replaced him with Alex Smith.

Cousins had two top ten offensive linemen (one of them an all-pro left tackle, the other a pro bowl guard), a top three receiving tight end, Garçon, Jackson and more as weapons and he didn't manage 30 touchdown passes.  

In spite of everything Cousins has had as far as teammates, and his former coordinator is now making Garroppolo look like a Hall of Fame QB, I don't think Cousins is all that scary at all.  

Especially not at 3 years, 84 million dollars.

MN learned that eventually, Favre will always be Favre.

As for Brees - I think he was facing some passing shoulder uncertainly that weighed into SDs decision making as well.

• Like 1

Cousins is a solid QB.  I totally get it for the Vikings.  His last three seasons were comparable to Keenum's last season ( a couple more TD, a couple more INT).  He has a track record of producing at that level where Keenum does not.  If Cousins can play at that level for three more seasons for MN, they have to believe their championship window is wide open before the contracts for the young defenders become an issue.  And Cousins is only 29.  He should be at his absolute prime over the next three seasons.  I was thinking, and hoping that he would go to Arizona.  Cousins will be a handful for the Packers for the next few seasons.  

• 2 months later...

If I was a Patriots fan and I didn't already loathe Tom Brady, I would be absolutely livid at this point.  Belichick helped Brady get three Super Bowl wins before Brady even had a single season in which he threw for 30 touchdowns OR under 10 interceptions.  Brady didn't even have a 30 touchdown season OR a season in which he had under 10 interceptions until his 8th year as a pro.  I don't think Belichick has lost more than 6 games in a season since Brady has entered the NFL, and now Brady is acting all pissy.  I'd love nothing more than for Brady to lose Belichick. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 11:07 AM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Cousins is a solid QB.  I totally get it for the Vikings.  His last three seasons were comparable to Keenum's last season ( a couple more TD, a couple more INT).  He has a track record of producing at that level where Keenum does not.  If Cousins can play at that level for three more seasons for MN, they have to believe their championship window is wide open before the contracts for the young defenders become an issue.  And Cousins is only 29.  He should be at his absolute prime over the next three seasons.  I was thinking, and hoping that he would go to Arizona.  Cousins will be a handful for the Packers for the next few seasons.  

I was looking for this thread!

I think it helps the that this is the most talented team Cousins has played on, and maybe the best coaching staff too. His numbers were comparable to Keenum last season, but Kirk should have a full season to work as a starter and that will help everyone.

I don't expect him to be great like Rodgers, but he should be no worse than a top 15 QB this season, and I think Minnesota should be good enough to be considered serious contenders this season. Unfortunately, I see them losing in the Superbowl this season. Ugh

But I really do like this Vikings roster. I feel confident we could even make the playoffs if Siemian started for us all year. 

Could the same be said for the Packers and Kizermania? lol

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I was looking for this thread!

I think it helps the that this is the most talented team Cousins has played on, and maybe the best coaching staff too. His numbers were comparable to Keenum last season, but Kirk should have a full season to work as a starter and that will help everyone.

I don't expect him to be great like Rodgers, but he should be no worse than a top 15 QB this season, and I think Minnesota should be good enough to be considered serious contenders this season. Unfortunately, I see them losing in the Superbowl this season. Ugh

But I really do like this Vikings roster. I feel confident we could even make the playoffs if Siemian started for us all year. 

Could the same be said for the Packers and Kizermania? lol

Packers will go as far as Pettine can take this defense, especially if Rodgers is out.

I think that Cousins makes the Vikings the same as last year.  And they were a contender.  Keenum will not duplicate his last season.  Cousins is capable of doing that for the next few seasons.  As for making the playoffs under Siemian... I guess it is after 6 on a Friday, carry on!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Minnesota Vikings UDFA, Hercules Mata'afa of Washington State, tore an ACL today at practice. The explosive pass rusher had impressed Viking coaches who thought he had an inside track to make the team.

— Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) June 6, 2018

Do we keep it classy or start laughing at injuries like they did with Clay?

The only injuries that we don't keep classy are for the Saints.  I want everyone to be as close to 100% as they can for when the Packers beat them this season.  But the Saints are going to have a record number of injuries en route to being the only 0-17 team of all time.  They will be so bad that the league assigns an extra loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

The only injuries that we don't keep classy are for the Saints.  I want everyone to be as close to 100% as they can for when the Packers beat them this season.  But the Saints are going to have a record number of injuries en route to being the only 0-17 team of all time.  They will be so bad that the league assigns an extra loss.

Is  some sort of Avy campaign going to be appropriate to put the hex on?