This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I think the Saints are going to be a good team. That being said, I could easily see an 8-8 or at best 9-7 record because of their schedule and because they play in a division who should beat up on each other. I don't see the Saints sweeping Carolina or Atlanta and either of those teams on the right day could sweep the Saints. TB is a step behind but not a push-over. 

Come on man! That is the wrong attitude!

The Saints WILL GO 0-16!  It is known.

giphy.gif

In 2017 Case Keenum delivered a passer rating of 99 for a paltry $ 2 million dollars. That was 3rd best in the league last year, quite an amazing value

But the vikes were convinced he couldn't /wouldn't repeat it and sent him on his way. He landed in Denver for $15 Million

Kirk Cousins delivered a 93 Passer rating in 2017 and the vikes were so enamored of that result, they gave him $ 30/ year to come to minny

But the Kirkster has only topped a 99 passer rating for 2 of 6 of his NFL seasons... and his career average is 93.7

So remind me again -  which of these QBs is the mirage ?  ( maybe both)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2017/Final/OPR/

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In 2017 Case Keenum delivered a passer rating of 99 for a paltry $ 2 million dollars. That was 3rd best in the league last year, quite an amazing value

But the vikes were convinced he couldn't /wouldn't repeat it and sent him on his way. He landed in Denver for $15 Million

Kirk Cousins delivered a 93 Passer rating in 2017 and the vikes were so enamored of that result, they gave him $ 30/ year to come to minny

But the Kirkster has only topped a 99 passer rating for 2 of 6 of his NFL seasons... and his career average is 93.7

So remind me again -  which of these QBs is the mirage ?  ( maybe both)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2017/Final/OPR/

I for one was very happy when they signed Cousins. Paying top dollar for a average QB, that’s really going to affect them in the near future.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I disagree, a lot.

Cousins has consistently put up the numbers that Keenum did last season.  Keenum has not.  At the end of the season, we will see that the Broncos overpaid more than the Vikings did.  

What opportunity has Keenum had?  Jeff Fisher and whoever was coaching the offensively inept Texans offense?  Goff and Foles both sucked for Fisher, too.  Both of them are better than Cousins, too. 

Name one big game Cousins hasn't bombed in.  Just take a quick glance at his game logs on NFL.com and you'll see that he is a mediocre QB who throws a lot of interceptions against good teams, then pads his stats against bad teams.  The year the Redskins went to the playoffs, Cousins had double digit turnovers in five games.  He had a single turnover in four more games.  19 of his 29 touchdowns that season came out of 6 games. 

This season, he had 11 games with a turnover.  The Redskins still had a slight chance at making the playoffs in the final week of the season.  He threw 3 interceptions in that game.  Against the GIANTS.  He had a 31 QB rating in that game. 

That was in Washington, where he had Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff as his tackles. 

And that's not even talking about his winning ability. 

Kirk Cousins is 4-19 against teams above .500. 

That's a nice way of saying that he loses 80% of the games he plays against teams with a winning record.  If that trend continues, the Vikings will win 1 of their first five games.  Speaking of their first five games...

Niners, Packers, Bills, Rams, Eagles.

They also have a three game stretch of Packers, @ New England, and then at Seattle just 8 days later.  One end of the country to the other. 

I think Cousins will be wildly inconistent in this upcoming season. While his targets are improved over his last season or two his line is vastly downgraded. Keenum played like he caught a leprechaun before the season started. I don't know if Kirk plays with that level of escapability and straight up luck. Cousins will kill us if the D looks like it did last year but if we can cover at all I like our chances. If Aaron stays healthy I think the Pack are as close to a lock to win the North as the Eagles are to win the East.

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

People comparing Keenum to Cousins is like people comparing Cousins to Rodgers. C'mon people. There are 3 very distinct tiers there. 

Why? Keenum last year ( his first really legit shot) was just as good if not better than whatever Cousins has done his whole career. Jury is still out on Keenum but I don’t get why people are so excited about a QB who doesn’t even put up great bulk stats and feasts on bad teams.

58 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Speaking of their first five games...

Niners, Packers, Bills, Rams, Eagles.

They also have a three game stretch of Packers, @ New England, and then at Seattle just 8 days later.  One end of the country to the other. 

That's a rough schedule, especially because the Rams are going to be incredibly tough this year. They're loaded everywhere and I think they might actually be on par with Philadelphia at this point. Minny does hit New England at the right time of the year, however and I am not buying that Seattle is back to its old self so they should get wins against those two teams. I think it works against Minny because Kirk Cousins is the kind of QB that thrives on success, but once he has a bad game he tends to duplicate that performance the next week and he's prone to get into slumps. Minny's going to find that out there hard way IMHO.

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Cousins has consistently put up the numbers that Keenum did last season. 

Cousins topped Keenum's Passer rating of 99 in only 2 of his 6 NFL seasons. ( 33%)

Perhaps we define "consistently" in a different manner ? :)

Cousins is certainly better than Keenum and a better bet than Keenum going forward.

But, he ain't worth elite money and that's what they paid him for not-elite performance.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Cousins topped Keenum's Passer rating of 99 in only 2 of his 6 NFL seasons. ( 33%)

Cousins is certainly better than Keenum and a better bet than Keenum going forward.

But, he ain't worth elite money and that's what they paid him for not-elite performance.

Cousins wasn’t even the main starter in those first three years. In those first three years in Washington, he only started 9 games. Looking at the most recent three years, where he started all 16 games each of those seasons, Cousins passer rating has been 101.6, 97.2 and 93.9 respectively. That’s pretty darn consistently close to the 98.3 rating Keenum put up this past year. 

Now I agree he’s not worth the elite money he got but that’s the going rate for a good QB. Nothing new there. 

Edited by Ketchup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

What is the difference between 99 and 93? A TD? 5 receptions? I honestly don't know.  Just watch the guys play.  Cousins is better than Keenum.  I don't think he will be an MVP level player.  He may still be the 4th best QB in the division.  But he will have his standard 25:10, which should be good enough with that defense.  It is wishful thinking hoping that a QB that has had three good seasons in a row is going to sink a team that was in the NFCC.  Last season was the absolute best that Case Keenum will do.  It is very similar to the last three seasons that Kirk Cousins has put in the books. The Vikings are banking on that player showing up to have an open window while they can keep their defense together.  

http://www.nfl.com/player/kirkcousins/2532820/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/casekeenum/2532888/profile

I don't believe that any of you would rather have Keenum than Cousins.  

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think everybody is on the same page here.

The comment was more about how much you should pay for the relatively small difference between Keenum and Cousins.

I don't think $ 15 Million is the correct number in terms of managing the cap on a team with big bills coming due.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

People comparing Keenum to Cousins is like people comparing Cousins to Rodgers. C'mon people. There are 3 very distinct tiers there. 

Mmmm..... Keenum last year was definitely tier 2 qb play. Cousin's has played behind a pretty damn good line his whole career, its a whole new game behind MNs OL. They couldn't even get their splits consistent last year. Keenum wasn't given a fair shake his 1 year in STL. He didnt have an OL or a WR core. Keenum is better than you probably think..