This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is what happens with every NFL coach I'm convinced. Dom, Zimmer, Lebeau, Gus Bradley all had these creative defenses 8 years ago, now everyone says they're all figured out.

Just like Mac, Reid, Bevell, etc were the McVay, Pederson, Shanny's of 2008. In 5 years I'm sure Rams fans will be convinced McVay has been figured out and they need to move on.

Payton is the only guy I've seen stay elite over a long period of time, and I kind of think that's because he's just really doesn't care about playing defense and still thinks he's going to outscore his way to a SB.

I mean, yeah, but MM has been  elite over a long period of time when he has his QB. Payton has had his the whole time basically.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would call Mac good to very good from 2012 on. We haven't been elite since Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley were around.

2014 and 2016 were pretty dang close. With Rodgers throwing nearly 40 TDs and  less than 10 INTs

but then again, that goes back to who gets the credit, MM or QB12?

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

2014 and 2016 were pretty dang close. With Rodgers throwing nearly 40 TDs and  less than 10 INTs

but then again, that goes back to who gets the credit, MM or QB12?

I just think that ever since that group left and Jordy took the lead we've gone more ISO. Don't know who made that call, maybe Rodgers realized with prime Jordy that if he bought more time that he could routinely hit Jordy for big plays. I know the stat probably doesn't exist and I'm sure as hell not going to quit my job to figure it out, but I'd love to see the snap to throw clock for Rodgers from 2008-2011 and 2012-present and see the difference.

• Like 1

Serious question:

It seems like Hyde, Hayward and Shields all look pretty decent since leaving GB, why didn’t you guys keep them? None of them (iirc) were big time FAs. What gives?

edit: I know Shields is prone to concussions, so you can omit him from this question if you’d like.

Edited by malak1

Just now, malak1 said:

Serious question:

It seems like Hyde, Hayward and Shields all look pretty decent since leaving GB, why didn’t you guys keep them? None of them (iirc) were big time FAs. What gives?

1. Hayward - Hard to say, but his best years were his first two. Everyone thought he would get paid outside, and when he signed that Chargers deal, this forum was not happy. I rocked a Hayward sig for years so I was pretty annoyed at the whole thing

2. Hyde - Had and still has limitations and while he was good for us, he was never as good as he has been in Buffalo. Case of a different coach using him to his strengths. We moved him to safety too late, and he had toi play a lot of corner because of a ton of injuries we had for his last couple years here.

3. Shields - He had a final concussion and we wouldn't clear him. It was expected that his career was over. This is not like the first two. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I just think that ever since that group left and Jordy took the lead we've gone more ISO. Don't know who made that call, maybe Rodgers realized with prime Jordy that if he bought more time that he could routinely hit Jordy for big plays. I know the stat probably doesn't exist and I'm sure as hell not going to quit my job to figure it out, but I'd love to see the snap to throw clock for Rodgers from 2008-2011 and 2012-present and see the difference.

It made me sad to watch the Rams offense last night. We don't have their personnel outside, but I miss taking shots down field. We've gone full west coast and it feels like a waste for 12

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malak1 said:

Serious question:

edit: I know Shields is prone to concussions, so you can omit him from this question if you’d like.

Dom was good at utilizing players who fit his scheme to performances that were at or above their abilities. He was also bad at utilizing players who didn't fit his scheme and made them look worse than their ability.

Hayward they wanted to play a CWood role, and Hyde was kind of his poor man's backup they got good draft value on. It's obvious now Hayward could've been groomed as a predominantly zone outside CB and Hyde is a deep safety, but those roles aren't in Dom's scheme.

• Like 3

Just now, JBURGE said:

It made me sad to watch the Rams offense last night. We don't have their personnel outside, but I miss taking shots down field. We've gone full west coast and it feels like a waste for 12

I feel like we don't know what Mac, Aaron and Philbin had planned for this year. The injury has changed our playbook.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:
2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I feel like we don't know what Mac, Aaron and Philbin had planned for this year. The injury has changed our playbook.

I know. I think he is getting healthier to the point where they'll open it back up a bit. He was hanging on to the ball last week towards the end of the game

11 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Serious question:

Same reasons others said, but let’s not forget he was hurt a good deal in GB and other teams weren’t exactly lining up to sign him. His deal with San Diego was pretty modest considering his play.

• Like 1