This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Chicago D is currently #1 in DVOA I believe.

Anyone else coming around on CHI is a bigger threat than MIN yet?? (They rank 26th, for comparison).

Is that still true after they gave up over 500 yds in total offense this last week, allowing that perennial all pro Brock Osweiler to throw for 380 yds?

It may be, I don't know.  I do find it funny that if the Bears do that it is not an issue, but if the Packers do it means we are dog poo.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Is that still true after they gave up over 500 yds in total offense this last week, allowing that perennial all pro Brock Osweiler to throw for 380 yds?

It may be, I don't know.  I do find it funny that if the Bears do that it is not an issue, but if the Packers do it means we are dog poo.

Not sure if it updated (doubt it) so that was through week 5.

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Updated they are still #1 on defense, but are no longer lapping the field and just barely ahead of baltimore and a good bit ahead of seattle.  Helps when you get a lot of strip sack fumbles for TDs and such.

Chicago went from possibly an all time defense to just being the best this year.  Packers went from looking average to looking like dog poo.  It's week 6, still early, each game is still being blown out of proportion, but that's kinda how it goes till week 10 or so.

Yeah, for a second year in a row, I don't care what DVOA says.  If you have Khalil Mack and you just gave up two first round picks for him, you don't lose to the Dolphins.  You certainly don't lose to the Dolphins with Brock Ossweiler playing, and you sure as hell don't lose to the Dolphins with Brock Ossweiler playing by giving up 28 points in regulation. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, for a second year in a row, I don't care what DVOA says.  If you have Khalil Mack and you just gave up two first round picks for him, you don't lose to the Dolphins.  You certainly don't lose to the Dolphins with Brock Ossweiler playing, and you sure as hell don't lose to the Dolphins with Brock Ossweiler playing by giving up 28 points in regulation. 

I mean you can't overreact. People here are preaching that losing to Washington and Detroit are just "2 games" and "it's just September" blah blah blah. If you're going to preach that for us, it's no different for other teams. The Bears lost one game, on the road. 

That being said, I still, and will continue to view the Vikings as the bigger threat for 2018. I think the Bears are still a year away. Now, if they beat the Patriots at home Sunday, that'll prove something. 

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean you can't overreact. People here are preaching that losing to Washington and Detroit are just "2 games" and "it's just September" blah blah blah. If you're going to preach that for us, it's no different for other teams. The Bears lost one game, on the road. 

That being said, I still, and will continue to view the Vikings as the bigger threat for 2018. I think the Bears are still a year away. Now, if they beat the Patriots at home Sunday, that'll prove something. 

This is exactly my point.  Teams have good and bad games.  Just be consistent.  

If the Packers had obtained Kahlil Mack, and gave up over 500 yds to the dolphins, our fans would be calling for Pettine's head.  When it happens to Fangio, it is "nothing to see here".

The Bears will be interesting to watch, to see if they can hold the high level of performance together, or will there be some weakness that get discovered and exploited.  Likewise, it will be interesting to see if the Packers defense gets better as the young secondary comes into its own, and even more so, after the next off season when they can address some of the additional holes that the roster rot of the last few years caused.

I agree with your second point.  I still think the Vikings are the team to beat.  They had a hideous first 5 week schedule, and they should look a lot better going forward. They still have some tough games, but their schedule will be a lot easier form here.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This is exactly my point.  Teams have good and bad games.  Just be consistent.  

If the Packers had obtained Kahlil Mack, and gave up over 500 yds to the dolphins, our fans would be calling for Pettine's head.  When it happens to Fangio, it is "nothing to see here".

The Bears will be interesting to watch, to see if they can hold the high level of performance together, or will there be some weakness that get discovered and exploited.  Likewise, it will be interesting to see if the Packers defense gets better as the young secondary comes into its own, and even more so, after the next off season when they can address some of the additional holes that the roster rot of the last few years caused.

For me, this is the key to our success if any success is there to be had. Our defense is going to have to commit to a philosophy, IMO, of bringing pressure more regularly (meaning more than 4-5 guys). That's going to put our secondary in a lot of one-on-one situations and they're going to have to hold up. Our best chance for that is having a healthy trio of Breeland-Alexander-King with Jackson as our dime guy. We need less Tramon Williams on the perimeter and I'd like to see him more in a safety position with less Brice on the field, especially on 3rd downs. IMO, that's our best coverage unit, one that should give our guys a chance to get home more often when we bring pressure. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

For me, this is the key to our success if any success is there to be had. Our defense is going to have to commit to a philosophy, IMO, of bringing pressure more regularly (meaning more than 4-5 guys). That's going to put our secondary in a lot of one-on-one situations and they're going to have to hold up. Our best chance for that is having a healthy trio of Breeland-Alexander-King with Jackson as our dime guy. We need less Tramon Williams on the perimeter and I'd like to see him more in a safety position with less Brice on the field, especially on 3rd downs. IMO, that's our best coverage unit, one that should give our guys a chance to get home more often when we bring pressure. 

I agree, except I am not sure Breeland beats out Jackson.  I think the competition makes everyone better and Jackson needs to get the penalty issue under control, but he has done pretty well and not sure Breeland is any better.

It seems to me we are a lot better when we have Alexander and King both in the lineup.  It gives us two guys with speed, that can be matched up one on one and not worry about getting beat deep. King has his issues, but his strength going back to his college days is getting on top of a route and not getting beat deep.  That frees up Pettine to use the rest of the defense to do what he needs to do.

You could see that on the King pick Monday.  Pettine mans King up on Goodwin and brings the house, and King was able to stay with him as opposed to earlier in the game when they tried to cover him with Matthews, Martinez and Brice in zone coverage and he ran right by Brice, or when they tried to put Williams on him in man coverage and the same thing happened.

We still have issues in zone coverage, but if we can get the whole group healthy we should be able to go back to man coverage and not have guys totally exposed.

The Vikings D has been much better the last 2 weeks on top of that which offense is scarier? Vikings or Bears? Its the Vikings by far. Also the Vikings are through the toughest part of thier schedule in relatively good shape. If im a Packers fan im more worried aboit MIN then CHI.

• Like 1