This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay Outpost. No need to beat it to death. A team won the SB playing bad defense. Question answered. And its likely we're gonna see more "offenseiveallapalloozas" in the future  -  unless they change the rules back.

Okay, okay.  You got me.  I got gotted.  I'll amend my original question and ask you one more.  This one I think will help get my point across:

Could you please tell me the last time a team won a Super Bowl without getting to the Super Bowl?

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Okay, okay.  You got me.  I got gotted.  I'll amend my original question and ask you one more.  This one I think will help get my point across:

Could you please tell me the last time a team won a Super Bowl without getting to the Super Bowl?

I dont deal with endlessly changing hypotheticals.

The Philly/Atlanta game wasnt any great defensive effort - on part of either team. If was just a low scoring affair. They happen now and then.
The Philly/Minnesota game was more the Philly offense just totally manhandling the Vikings and dictating things - that plus Case Keenum sucking royally.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

I dont deal with endlessly changing hypotheticals.

The Philly/Atlanta game wasnt any great defensive effort - on part of either team. If was just a low scoring affair. They happen now and then.
The Philly/Minnesota game was more the Philly offense just totally manhandling the Vikings and dictating things - that plus Case Keenum sucking royally.

Are you seriously going to say low scoring games happen for any other reason than defense? 

Are you seriously taking away the Eagles effect on Keenum sucking? 

What is this?  What even is this? 

Come on, man.  You just tried to take defense out of a low scoring game and put all the blame on a QB sucking spontaneously without a defense making him suck.

No - actually - what I'm doing it avoiding applying broad brush "solutions" or "theories" to individual cases.

Just now, Nazgul said:

Playing good defense for a game or two and having a good defense are two different things.
Miraculously winning the Super Bowl doesn't automatically mean you had a "good defense," just like it didn't mean Trent Dilfer was a good QB. 

So it's coincidence that teams who win the Super Bowl have at least two strong defensive games for 52 years?  

Just now, Leader said:

No - actually - what I'm doing it avoiding applying broad brush "solutions" or "theories" to individual cases.

52 Super Bowls.  Dozens of bad offensive performances throughout playoffs go on to win.  Zero examples of bad defenses throughout playoffs winning Super Bowls.

meh, winning the SuperBowl is about getting hot at the right time, and a lot of luck.

MIN was the better D all year than Eagles, who were an okay unit at best on that side, and the better defense from a talent/on-paper standpoint. The Eagles were better on that day, though.

They were also lucky at some level that MIN won the week earlier on a flukey Diggs TD and thus did not have to go up against Brees, who could have exposed their D a lot better than Keenum.

Dare I bring up 2015? We were better than both teams that played the SuperBowl that year (we beat the Pats earlier that season, and were beating the Hens for most of the game). We were just not better when it counted.

So it's coincidence that teams who win the Super Bowl have at least two strong defensive games for 52 years?  

Even bad defenses can have "at least two strong defensive games," don't you think?
I feel like you get some kind of wacky pleasure from being difficult with everyone.

• Like 3

Just now, Nazgul said:
5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Even bad defenses can have "at least two strong defensive games," don't you think?
I feel like you get some kind of wacky pleasure from being difficult with everyone.

If the Chiefs/Rams game happened in the Superbowl the story would be "two defensive touchdowns changed the game and won it for the Rams". It's easy to be right when you can twist everything to look that way

Just now, JBURGE said:

If the Chiefs/Rams game happened in the Superbowl the story would be "two defensive touchdowns changed the game and won it for the Rams". It's easy to be right when you can twist everything to look that way

Except they wouldn't have gotten to the Super Bowl.  All these shots and gotcha attempts consistently fail to mention that no team has ever won the Super Bowl without good defense to get them there and, in most cases, win it. 

Edited by Outpost31