This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

Just now, AustrianPacker said:

We are all frustrated because of yesterday and the other losses. But it doesn´t get better posting such BS statements. 

Three teams have won a Super Bowl without being a top 10 defense in the regular season since the year 1999.  Probably longer, I just haven't verified. 

Those three teams held their postseason opponents to an average of 19.6 points, 15 points and 13.5 points per game.

Do you think the Packers have any chance in hell at holding the likes of the Saints, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Rams, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers or any combination of 4 playoff teams to an average of 19 points or less?

You're the worst kind of football fan.  The type who just reads something and then calls it a BS statement.

Throughout the history of the NFL, yes, the Bears have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl with the 7th ranked defense than the Packers do with the 17th ranked defense.

And those rankings are just points. 

Your type completely neglects all history and thinks history doesn't matter.  It does matter.  There's a reason why only the best defenses win Super Bowls.  You've had dozens of examples of mediocre offenses winning Super Bowls, but not one example of mediocre defenses winning Super Bowls and you think that can't possibly be true because you saw on ESPN how quarterbacks win Super Bowls. 

Let me fill you in on a fact... The current Bears starting QB has been to as many and has won as many Super Bowls as Aaron Rodgers. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Three teams have won a Super Bowl without being a top 10 defense in the regular season since the year 1999.  Probably longer, I just haven't verified. 

Those three teams held their postseason opponents to an average of 19.6 points, 15 points and 13.5 points per game.

Do you think the Packers have any chance in hell at holding the likes of the Saints, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Rams, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers or any combination of 4 playoff teams to an average of 19 points or less?

You're the worst kind of football fan.  The type who just reads something and then calls it a BS statement.

Throughout the history of the NFL, yes, the Bears have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl with the 7th ranked defense than the Packers do with the 17th ranked defense.

And those rankings are just points. 

Your type completely neglects all history and thinks history doesn't matter.  It does matter.  There's a reason why only the best defenses win Super Bowls.  You've had dozens of examples of mediocre offenses winning Super Bowls, but not one example of mediocre defenses winning Super Bowls and you think that can't possibly be true because you saw on ESPN how quarterbacks win Super Bowls. 

Let me fill you in on a fact... The current Bears starting QB has been to as many and has won as many Super Bowls as Aaron Rodgers. 

The Bears have a negative point differential and are currently 31st in points scored per game.

You're focusing exclusively on the points allowed number and not taking into account the entire picture. 

Foles does have a super bowl but it came with an elite defense around him (check), an elite offensive line (lol), a really good running game (nope), a deep and talented receiver group (nah) and an elite offensive coaching staff (hell no). 

This Packers team has some problems, most of them being the DC, but we've got a lot shorter road to hoe than the Bears who need to rebuild half their team.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Thank you for that. 

And yes, I still call it a BS statement from a very frustrated fan, which shows in every post every week. 

No I don´t think that we are a SB team right now, mainly because of D#, ST, and a lot of mistakes from inexperienced players and coaches probably too. But I also think that we are the best team in the division, and when you look at the Bears, I don´t care about PPG from their defense, because you also need an O to win something and there I see nothing. If we beat them with we are 8-3 to 5-6 - how in the world have the Bears a better chance to win a SB without being in the playoffs? Do you really see the Bears overcoming us to win the division? Yes, their D# is better, but only that won´t get you anywhere, see the Steelers last year. 

As I said, I am not optimistic that we will win more than one PO game, but at least we will have a chance being in it. And we did overcome more in the past when #12 is playing at it best. Yesterday loss sucks, but at least it was very close against a good opponent on the road,  where we lost because of mistakes, not because we were outplayed. 

Just try to enjoy a team which will be in the postseason, try to get excited even when there is not a big chance we will come through the NFC playoffs and don´t act like we are the 0-10 jets. Better for your health and for this forum. 

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Are the Rams a more complete team than others at the top in the NFC at this point?  If not (and I’m not entirely sure they are), then who?

They’re pretty damn good in all three phases and seem to be moving in the right direction. If they keep it up, they could make a run for the 1 seed. They will be tough in the postseason. They play good complementary D and are loaded on offense. 

TB could be good but they play inconsistent. All I know is Evans, Godwin and if AB becomes close to his old self, that is a murderers row.  Add in their RBs and Gronk, these guys could all turn it up a notch in January.

Both teams might not be strong at OL but they just need to be good enough if the QB is getting it out quickly. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Ran the numbers before.

Pretty positive every Superbowl winner ever has had a Top 10 scoring defense in the regular season or the equivalent during the playoffs except for the Joe Flacco Ravens Superbowl which I assume is one of the three you listed. The Giants who beat the undefeated Patriots was another for sure and IIRC off the top of my head the last was the Colts (or maybe the Saints). 

Edited by wgbeethree

21 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

How far would Pettine play our DBs off Goff’s screens?

I’m glad you brought this up.  I was thinking about this watching the game last night.  I’ll give Sean McVay props for taking what Tampa’s defense was giving him.  Tampa brought a lot heat on Goff last night, and those screens were working perfectly.  GB rushes 3, sometimes four, and would barely sniff Goff, so I’m not sure we’d see quite as many screens.  Most likely Goff would kill us on the underneath crossing routes, ala Rivers style.

But to answer your original question above - too far off!

On 11/23/2020 at 5:32 AM, Outpost31 said:

The Bears are closer to winning the Super Bowl this year than the Packers are. 

Lol the bears are screwed. They will be competive-ish for a couple more years because of the defense, but you can't count on winning vs good teams without a QB, Oline, and offensive play makers. Just like you need a good defense to win a superbowl, you also need to be able to score points.

* waits for Foles to tear up Pettine Sunday. 

56 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think the Rams will represent the NFC this year.

Jared Goff went to his only SB already. That guy isn't getting to another. He's incapable of playing 2-3 games against elite competition without imploding.

The rest of the Rams, damn good team. They don't scare me with Goff at the helm though.