This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

I revel in the fact that the NFC North is the least changed of the 6 NFL divisions that existed in 1967 (two of which were AFL divisions that season)

The only changes to the division membership since 1967 are the arrival of the Buccaneers in 1977 and their departure in 2002 - they never really belonged in the division, but back in those days, the NFL was weird about geography - I mean the Buccaneers, a team in Florida, were in the NFC Central, the Falcons and Panthers (both in the Southeast as well) were in the NFC West, and the NFC East had the Cardinals both in St. Louis and Arizona as well as the Dallas Cowboys

Here's a rundown of membership changes for the other divisions that existed in 1967:

AFC East (known as AFL East from 1960-69):
Division established with Boston (now New England), Buffalo, Houston Oilers, and NY Titans (now Jets) in 1960
Miami established as expansion team in 1966
Houston Oilers to AFC Central in 1970
Baltimore Colts from NFL Coastal (NFC West) in 1970
Now-Indianapolis Colts to NFC South in 2002

AFC North (NFL Century from 1967-69, AFC Central from 1970-2001):
Division established with Cleveland, NY Giants, Pittsburgh and St. Louis Cardinals in 1967
NY Giants to NFL Capitol, New Orleans from NFL Capitol in 1968
1968 swap reversed in 1969
NY Giants and Cardinals to NFC East in 1970
Cincinnati and Houston Oilers from AFL West and East respectively in 1970
Jacksonville added as expansion team in 1995
Cleveland shuts down for three years in 1996
Baltimore established as expansion team in 1996
Cleveland returns in 1999
Jacksonville and now-Tennessee to AFC South in 2002

AFC West (AFL West from 1960-69):
Division established with Dallas Texans (now Kansas City), Denver, LA Chargers (San Diego from 1961-2016), and Oakland (1960-81 and 1995-2019, LA Raiders in intervening period, now Las Vegas) in 1960
Cincinnati added as expansion team in 1968
Cincinnati to AFC Central in 1970
Tampa Bay established as expansion team in 1976
Tampa Bay to NFC Central, Seattle from NFC West in 1977
Seattle to NFC West in 2002

NFC East (NFL Capitol from 1967-69):
Division created with Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Washington in 1967
New Orleans to NFL Century, NY Giants from NFL Century in 1968
1968 swap reversed in 1969
New Orleans to NFC West in 1970
NY Giants and St. Louis Cardinals (later Phoenix, now Arizona) from NFL Century in 1970
Arizona to NFC West in 2002

NFC West (NFL Coastal from 1967-69):
Division created with Atlanta, Baltimore Colts, LA Rams (St. Louis from 1995-2015), San Francisco in 1967
Baltimore Colts to AFC East in 1970
New Orleans from NFL Capitol in 1970
Carolina added as expansion team in 1995
Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans to NFC South in 2002
Arizona and Seattle from NFC East and AFC West respectively in 2002

So, the NFC North has probably the most heated rivalries in the whole league, given the Bears, Lions and Packers have been together since 1933, with the Vikings joining them in 1961. The NFL missed out on a chance to make St. Louis teams part of the division twice (1970 and 2002), but both of those teams moved West anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm hoping that next year we can be the only team in our division to make the playoffs. The NFC North is being paired with the AFC North and NFC West next year - five playoff teams between the divisions, and a 6th that came close to the playoffs, but couldn't beat the Rams in week 17.

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

OK, I'm hoping that next year we can be the only team in our division to make the playoffs. The NFC North is being paired with the AFC North and NFC West next year - five playoff teams between the divisions, and a 6th that came close to the playoffs, but couldn't beat the Rams in week 17.

I would imagine that the 49ers will be right back in the mix, considering the 400 guys they had on IR.  But that will also take some wins away from the other NFCW teams.  I don't know what is to be worried about with the AFCN though.  

If the Bears remain the same, they will be pushing for a playoff spot again.  The Vikings were an average team this season, and probably could beat, or lose to, any opponent they faced.  A team like that will challenge everyone.  The Lions do look kind of boned.  Probably doubly so if they lose Stafford.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:17 PM, pf9 said:

back in those days, the NFL was weird about geography

Dallas is still in the NFC Least as is the Dolphins in the AFC East. The NFC North, NFC West, and the AFC West are really the only divisions aligned geographically and, sure, you could make a case for the NFC South. A more realistic alignment would look at such:

AFC North:
Indy
Cleveland
Cincy
Pittsburgh

AFC East:
NE
Baltimore
Buffalo
NYJ

AFC South:
Houston
Miami
Tennessee
Jax

AFC West:
*as is

NFC North:
*as is

NFC East:
NYG
Philly
Wash
Carolina

NFC South:
Dallas
Atlanta
TB
NO

NFC West:
*as is

Just now, Joe said:

Dallas is still in the NFC Least as is the Dolphins in the AFC East. The NFC North, NFC West, and the AFC West are really the only divisions aligned geographically and, sure, you could make a case for the NFC South. A geographically sound alignment would look at such:

AFC North:
Indy
Cleveland
Cincy
Pittsburgh

AFC East:
NE
Baltimore
Buffalo
NYJ

AFC South:
Houston
Miami
Tennessee
Jax

AFC West:
*as is

NFC North:
*as is

NFC East:
NYG
Philly
Wash
Carolina

NFC South:
Dallas
Atlanta
TB
NO

NFC West:
*as is

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Dallas is still in the NFC Least as is the Dolphins in the AFC East. The NFC North, NFC West, and the AFC West are really the only divisions aligned geographically and, sure, you could make a case for the NFC South. A more realistic alignment would look at such:

AFC North:
Indy
Cleveland
Cincy
Pittsburgh

AFC East:
NE
Baltimore
Buffalo
NYJ

AFC South:
Houston
Miami
Tennessee
Jax

AFC West:
*as is

NFC North:
*as is

NFC East:
NYG
Philly
Wash
Carolina

NFC South:
Dallas
Atlanta
TB
NO

NFC West:
*as is

I would further adjust this by moving Baltimore to the AFC South, Houston to the AFC West, and Pittsburgh to the AFC East.

*The AFC West, like the NFC West, would thus consist of the conference's four westernmost teams (Houston is further west than Kansas City, hence the Royals being in the AL Central and the Astros in the AL West)
*The AFC North, like the NFC North, would thus contain all of the conference's Midwestern teams
*The AFC East would have a team in Pennsylvania, like the NFC East. Given how good Buffalo and Pittsburgh are now, as well as their proximity to each other, could lead them to develop a strong rivalry.

I think I would put Denver and Kansas City with Dallas and Houston.  The only problem then, is the West divisions are missing two teams.  

It is difficult because Denver is pretty isolated from all other teams regionally.  Kansas City is much more Midwest than West coast. But then you have only 6 teams in the Pacific time zone, and Seattle is isolated from them as much as Denver is from everyone else.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lol.  I made that when I came to the new site early and webby wanted everyone to discuss, discuss, discuss. 

I called him Mitchell because we were given like a super duper warning to not start **** like trolling or anything or we'd be locked out of the new site until it went live, and Mitch had just said he wants to be called Mitchell now. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1