This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

On 2/25/2021 at 2:00 PM, cannondale said:

Buy or Sell ?

The Bears, Vikings, and Lions all have losing records next year

With AFC North and NFC West teams on the schedules, I'm buying

Vikings are probably a .500 team next year.  Bears are probably a .500 team pending their QB play.  Lions are clearly a losing team next year.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Vikings are probably a .500 team next year.  Bears are probably a .500 team pending their QB play.  Lions are clearly a losing team next year.

That might be optimistic for the Bears. They're at about -4.5m in cap, once you fill out their 51 (spotrac only shows 47 rostered). That's before signing any of their rookies, or key FA's like Robinson or Santos. Not to mention some of their solid pieces like Gipson or Edwards that would probably cost more than league minimum, even if they aren't bank-breaking. Jackson is their only safety currently under contract. Almost all their depth at DL & EDG is hitting FA. 

They do have some cut candidates like Graham and Hicks that could save them some money, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they end up with less talent at the end of FA than they had last year. 

There's probably also not much help on the way for them from 2nd & 3rd year players. In 2020, they were without a 1st, 3rd, and 4th round pick. In 2019 they were without a 1st or 2nd. Might only get 1 good starter out of each of those classes. 

On 2/25/2021 at 2:00 PM, cannondale said:

Buy or Sell ?

The Bears, Vikings, and Lions all have losing records next year

With AFC North and NFC West teams on the schedules, I'm buying

Sell.  Don't forget that the toughest team on their schedules is the Green Bay Packers.  The AFCN and NFCW will be easier games.  I don't think any of the AFCN is any better than the Vikings, and they get the Panthers and Cowboys on top of that.  

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Sell.  Don't forget that the toughest team on their schedules is the Green Bay Packers.  The AFCN and NFCW will be easier games.  I don't think any of the AFCN is any better than the Vikings, and they get the Panthers and Cowboys on top of that.  

You don't think the Browns, Ravens, and Steelers are better than the Vikings?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Then you're expecting a huge fall off from all of those teams. 

Pittsburgh is $ 7M over the cap with a pretty long list of UFA...2 CB, LT, RT, EDGE, WR.  Center that is retiring and a 38 year old QB that didn't look good late in 2020.

Cleveland needs to sustain success, something that is not their specialty. 

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Pittsburgh is $ 7M over the cap with a pretty long list of UFA...2 CB, LT, RT, EDGE, WR.  Center that is retiring and a 38 year old QB that didn't look good late in 2020.

Cleveland needs to sustain success, something that is not their specialty. 

Vikings need to do just as much or more than Cleveland without the cap issues Minn. has.  Pitts may be the most on Viking level but that's it. 

Interesting theory I heard mentioned somewhere (I think on PFF) that teams who have had a top QB for years start looking to future like NE with Brady and GB with Rodgers and Pitt with Ben R. (I can never spell his last name).

While if a team trades for a top QB they try to win now.  Like TB did with Brady.  

I think you can find examples and some data to support most whatever theory you want.  There are no or few hard fast rules.  Dif people do what they do in each situation according to what they think is best in moment. 

I do think it is interesting that GB built for future in 2020 when in hindsight if they went hard for a title in offseason they may have won SB.  They were close as it was.   

But I think it is a lie that anyone truly foresaw a newly motivated and focused Rodgers playing as well as he did in 2020.   I know I didn’t.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ZimmMi0.htm

If we follow this Zimmer is due for another good season. ☺️

I believe I'm in the minority here on this board concerning Minnesota.  I think they are going to be much improved next year.  Corners will have a year under their belts and Hunter returning to hunt QB's.  Jefferson with another year should be better, too.

I think you get a good DL back from the opt out list.

If the Vikes solidify that o-line, I think your club is well positioned for a good year.  Despite possibly losing Harris at safety, Rudolph at TE and Barr or Wilson at LB.