This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

6 hours ago, driftwood said:

based on recent history, im not so sure playing at home is any more of an advantage or guaranteed win for the packers like it was many years ago.

specific teams give the packers serious problems & the falcons are currently one of them

Perhaps if we could get Atlanta at Lambeau instead of that fast track of theirs that speed they have might not be such a discrepancy?  

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

The reason you want home field against Atlanta is because you put their team speed on a slow track. That's what makes that team special and helps that defense.

Same with Seattle. The only other contender that we have experience with that I think homefield doesn't matter for Green Bay is Dallas because they aren't a "fast" team on turf.

outside of Gabriel i wouldn't really consider the falcons an overly fast team regardless of what kind of surface they play on (sanu, jones, coleman, & freeman have plenty of athleticism but arent burners by any means)... they just have a significant amount of talent at the skill positions that seem to give our defense fits.

obviously i want the packers to get home playoff games, because other elements could be a factor... but i dont think the packers at home versus a playoff caliber team is a lock to win every time (6/10 maybe?). they can & have been exposed before & tend to be very stubborn against teams that have favorable matchups. but if they are remotely healthy heading into December/January football then I obviously like our chances much more

Edited by driftwood

15 minutes ago, driftwood said:

outside of Gabriel i wouldn't really consider the falcons an overly fast team regardless of what kind of surface they play on (sanu, jones, coleman, & freeman have plenty of athleticism but arent burners by any means)... they just have a significant amount of talent at the skill positions that seem to give our defense fits.

obviously i want the packers to get home playoff games, because other elements could be a factor... but i dont think the packers at home versus a playoff caliber team is a lock to win every time (6/10 maybe?). they can & have been exposed before & tend to be very stubborn against teams that have favorable matchups. but if they are remotely healthy heading into December/January football then I obviously like our chances much more

I think the speed is on the defense for Atlanta. I think homefield helps Green Bay against that defense... gives them a better chance on offense to succeed.

If the offense is successful... they hold onto the ball. Makes the defense better because the falcons press to be perfect every possession. Think of all the playoff loses... a lot of the time the offense doesn't show up until it's too late.

My point about Dallas is because their defense is bad and can't get after the QB. So we can go on the road and find success because the offense can. In Atlanta and Seattle those defense feel more comfortable and can get after it.

Edited by Green19

2 hours ago, driftwood said:

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think the speed is on the defense for Atlanta. I think homefield helps Green Bay against that defense... gives them a better chance on offense to succeed.

If the offense is successful... they hold onto the ball. Makes the defense better because the falcons press to be perfect every possession. Think of all the playoff loses... a lot of the time the offense doesn't show up until it's too late.

My point about Dallas is because their defense is bad and can't get after the QB. So we can go on the road and find success because the offense can. In Atlanta and Seattle those defense feel more comfortable and can get after it.

ATL defense is built for speed and playing in a dome on turf.  

Freeman, Coleman at the RB position are probably faster on the turf vs a frozen Lambeau.  

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Is Kareem Hunt the best RB in the NFL?

damn...

Gurley looks pretty amazing this year.  He's bigger, stronger and faster.

I think that Hunt looks the part because Reid uses motion and misdirection better than any other coach in the league.  He truly is an offensive genius.  He's motioning Hill to keep the defense at home and that give Hunt an advantage, and even some cutback lanes.  

While is good, I think Reid is helping him out tremendously.  Not sure if that happens without the motion end around threat of Tyreke Hill.

Hunt is still a very dynamic back.  He breaks a lot of tackles, has the right amount of wiggle, and reads his blockers and tacklers well.  Looks like Arian Foster to me.

Gurley is surely the better athlete.  Le'Veon was looking back to his old self last weekend too.

Still way too early but seems like we have more parity going on. There used to be a ton of just bad football teams. From coaching trees to drafting and more shared knowledge, I think you would have to work really hard or be real stupid to have a horrible football team these days. I'm not saying it's easy, but seems like the gaps are closing between the bad and the good

Edited by cannondale

Uh, no offense cannondale, but they are over the regular season hump.  27-9 over the last two season plus this season's 4 games.  16-4 last year and this year.  It is the playoffs where they stumble.

I've seen Jamal Charles play for Denver.  He still has burst.  Better than anything we have on the roster currently.  Burst wise.  Hunt is just another great RB coming through that system.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Uh, no offense cannondale, but they are over the regular season hump.  27-9 over the last two season plus this season's 4 games.  16-4 last year and this year.  It is the playoffs where they stumble.

I've seen Jamal Charles play for Denver.  He still has burst.  Better than anything we have on the roster currently.  Burst wise.  Hunt is just another great RB coming through that system.

The playoffs are the hump I was speaking of. 

On 9/30/2017 at 1:06 AM, justo said:

Detroit is one play from 3-0 and Vegas is still having no parts of them. 20th most-likely team to win a division in the NFL. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2017/film-room-matthew-stafford

"Since taking over, Cooter's M.O. has been stripping Stafford of responsibility and getting the ball into the hands of skill players as soon as possible. The idea is that the less Stafford has to think, the fewer interceptions he will throw, allowing the offense to remain on schedule and on the field.

The illusion is that Stafford and the Lions offense has been better since Cooter's ascension. In reality, the competence and execution across the unit has been roughly the same, Cooter just refuses to give Stafford opportunities to mess **** up"

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2017/film-room-matthew-stafford

"Since taking over, Cooter's M.O. has been stripping Stafford of responsibility and getting the ball into the hands of skill players as soon as possible. The idea is that the less Stafford has to think, the fewer interceptions he will throw, allowing the offense to remain on schedule and on the field.

The illusion is that Stafford and the Lions offense has been better since Cooter's ascension. In reality, the competence and execution across the unit has been roughly the same, Cooter just refuses to give Stafford opportunities to mess **** up"

Seems like a concept that a lot of NFL coaches try to/should employ...limit the mistakes he QB can make.    Some with better success than others.  Seems to be a reasonably successful process as the Lions are winning more games the last 1+ years compared to previous seasons.   Whether it is related to JB  Cooter as the OC is up for discussion.   Likely lots of factors in play.