This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

..limit the mistakes the QB can make.  

If you read the article, they acknowledge the value of that premise - for some teams in the regular season.

Whether it works in the playoffs vs top teams is another story.

I'm betting against them, others feel differently. I think this years' (3-1) Lions are last years' (5-0) vikes. Lions have 7 INTs to only 1 for their opponents and 5 fumble recoveries to their opponents' zero. 2 picks sixes, opponents 0. Lions have a punt return TD too. None of that is sustainable. Pretty much the same as last years vikes - and we all saw how that worked out. They have 4 tough games coming up. And their December is no piknik either...including 4 cold weather games sandwiched around a trip to Tampa.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2017.htm

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If you read the article, they acknowledge the value of that premise - for some teams in the regular season.

Whether it works in the playoffs vs top teams is another story.

I'm betting against them, others feel differently. I think this years' (3-1) Lions are last years' (5-0) vikes. Lions have 7 INTs to only 1 for their opponents and 5 fumble recoveries to their opponents' zero. 2 picks sixes, opponents 0. Lions have a punt return TD too. None of that is sustainable. Pretty much the same as last years vikes - and we all saw how that worked out. They have 4 tough games coming up. And their December is no piknik either...including 4 cold weather games sandwiched around a trip to Tampa.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2017.htm

I remember banging the unsustainable drum last year for the vikes and catching a ton of grief for it ha.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I remember banging the unsustainable drum last year for the vikes and catching a ton of grief for it ha.

I feel like this years Lions are a better argument for the loss of sustainability than last years Vikings. While you were right, I feel like that defense is truly elite and it was injuries to an OL held together by gum and string and the loss of a guy like Diggs that was the final undoing of the Vikings. Not to mention health issues for their coach. Had that OL and Diggs stayed healthy, I dont think they totally collapse, but that's part of the game and you were right.

The Lions I don't feel have a truly elite defense. They've played some real crappy QBs in Palmer, Manning and Keenum. To their credit they were great against Ryan but I dont think they have the talent long term to keep up their pace.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like this years Lions are a better argument for the loss of sustainability than last years Vikings. While you were right, I feel like that defense is truly elite and it was injuries to an OL held together by gum and string and the loss of a guy like Diggs that was the final undoing of the Vikings. Not to mention health issues for their coach. Had that OL and Diggs stayed healthy, I dont think they totally collapse, but that's part of the game and you were right.

The Lions I don't feel have a truly elite defense. They've played some real crappy QBs in Palmer, Manning and Keenum. To their credit they were great against Ryan but I dont think they have the talent long term to keep up their pace.

Had less to do with being an elite defense than relying on their defense scoring so frequently as they did early in the season.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Lions have a couple of key players on defense though who are playing big right now. Slay is playing like an All Pro corner. Hes taking the top WR out of the game which allows the defense to focus elsewhere. Also their pass rush, led by Ansah is getting home more often than not. The turnovers they are causing are not flukes, they are causing those plays with pressure and good man defense. Lions are going to lose some games but I think they will be "in" every game they play this year. They are a playoff caliber team.

Edited by packfanfb