This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Give me Rodgers over any QB in the league. I feel good about him being able to win a shootout vs any non top 5 D in the league. If they sacrificed defense for a QB, I'd be OK.

LIS my only true worry is they get a rookie deal QB and he plays like a Goff/Wentz. We'd be in trouble there.

Rookie deal QB play that is above league average makes a huge difference for any team.  With what starting 2/3 caliber QB's are going to be signing for, it will be hard to surround them with enough talent to win a title.  Going to have to hit on a few draft classes in a row to have that window stay open.

Rodgers on a $25-30M deal is going to be a challenge.   Part of the reason why I would seriously entertain the idea of moving him this year to CLE for a package of their top round picks.   I would only do it if you can collect those picks in 1 year or get other top tier talent in addition to the picks.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Rookie deal QB play that is above league average makes a huge difference for any team.  With what starting 2/3 caliber QB's are going to be signing for, it will be hard to surround them with enough talent to win a title.  Going to have to hit on a few draft classes in a row to have that window stay open.

Rodgers on a $25-30M deal is going to be a challenge.   Part of the reason why I would seriously entertain the idea of moving him this year to CLE for a package of their top round picks.   I would only do it if you can collect those picks in 1 year or get other top tier talent in addition to the picks.

tenor.gif?itemid=6159727

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I listed all the players above in my post, I don't consider UFA's to be 2nd contract guys, they're UFAs.

The Vikings haven't figured out some magic formula no one else in the league knows. When they pay 20+m for a QB they'll be in the same boat everyone else in the league gets to where they have to make decisions on guys to stay in a healthy cap situation.

My biggest worry is they move multiple picks and future picks and get one of the 4 top QBs this year and they turn out to be really good. Then we have a team that will be VERY hard to beat.

I never said you didn't, I just posted the spotrac numbers so we could see them. No they haven't figured out a magical formula, but they also don't have any bad contracts either, and no dead money with no dead money in sight for the near future. That is what I meant by being handled well, plus the space they have to work with to sign a QB and the players they want to keep. 

But yeah, if they end up signing everyone, they are going to need to absolutely nail the next few drafts. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

I never said you didn't, I just posted the spotrac numbers so we could see them. No they haven't figured out a magical formula, but they also don't have any bad contracts either, and no dead money with no dead money in sight for the near future. That is what I meant by being handled well, plus the space they have to work with to sign a QB and the players they want to keep. 

But yeah, if they end up signing everyone, they are going to need to absolutely nail the next few drafts. 

My advice for them would be to have Speilman try and find a QB in the draft. He's shown to do well at that...:ph34r:

39 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Paul Allen was saying that if MN fans want them to get Cousins they'll have to lose Barr. Diggs, ect. As a Packer fan, I'd much rather have them stick money intro players like Barr than a QB of Cousin's caliber.

I don't think Cousins is that much better than Bradford, if at all, so I don't really get the love for Cousins to Minny

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't think Cousins is that much better than Bradford, if at all, so I don't really get the love for Cousins to Minny

Its not unlike how bears fans acted when they first landed Cutler.

These are QB-starved fan bases looking for a savior

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I listed all the players above in my post, I don't consider UFA's to be 2nd contract guys, they're UFAs.

The Vikings haven't figured out some magic formula no one else in the league knows. When they pay 20+m for a QB they'll be in the same boat everyone else in the league gets to where they have to make decisions on guys to stay in a healthy cap situation.

My biggest worry is they move multiple picks and future picks and get one of the 4 top QBs this year and they turn out to be really good. Then we have a team that will be VERY hard to beat.

Vikes paid Bradford $18 million last year and Keenum $2 million. They've managed the cap well while already spending $20+ million at the QB position.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Vikes paid Bradford $18 million last year and Keenum $2 million. They've managed the cap well while already spending $20+ million at the QB position.

LIS, you guys aren't any different then the rest of the league. You won't be able to resign every one of Diggs, Kendricks, Waynes, Barr, Hunter, Rudolph that come up the next 2 years.

There's nothing wrong with how the Vikings have managed the cap, it's how the NFL works. We've lost some good players over the years to the same thing.

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's going to be damn near impossible for them to make that move.  We're likely looking at 3 QBs inside the top 6, and that 4th QB likely goes off the board somewhere in that 7-12 range.  Using their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick this year gets them somewhere in that 15/16ish range.  Adding their 1st next year probably pushes them into that 10-12 range.

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It's a timeline thing.  The Vikings are paying most of their young defenders peanuts compared to their market value.  They're going into the first real year of the Xavier Rhodes' extension, Anthony Barr is likely getting an extension this offseason.  They'll probably start extension talk with Andrew Sandejo next offseason.  Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter are both FA after the 2018 season, so the Vikings should try and get an extension done before their contracts expire.  It's a ticking time bomb they're working with.

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

They could offer Myles Garrett and both of their 1sts this year, and I'm pretty sure I'd still turn that deal down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

They could offer Myles Garrett and both of their 1sts this year, and I'm pretty sure I'd still turn that deal down.

Very likely would as well.   These next few drafts for GB are going to be really crucial to getting enough young talent on their rookie deals to support a Rodgers extension and have enough talent collectively to be on par with the other teams with rookie contract QB's (PHI and LAR)

Just now, CWood21 said:

It's a timeline thing.  The Vikings are paying most of their young defenders peanuts compared to their market value.  They're going into the first real year of the Xavier Rhodes' extension, Anthony Barr is likely getting an extension this offseason.  They'll probably start extension talk with Andrew Sandejo next offseason.  Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter are both FA after the 2018 season, so the Vikings should try and get an extension done before their contracts expire.  It's a ticking time bomb they're working with.

Barr is already making $12 million in 2018. I don't think he will get much more than that on a per year basis. He plays a position that is not highly valued around the league.

Diggs is also a free agent in 2019.

Barr Diggs, Hunter and Kendricks are all key free agents in 2019. They will take up a lot of cap no doubt which may force some veterans like Remmers, Rudolph, and Murray off the team.

I'm not too worried about Sendejo. While he is a solid player, MN likely won't have too much issue drafting and developing his replacement within the next two years. Let's not forget that Zimmer is a DB guru.

It helps to have good coaching where MN should be able to keep the talent churning on the defensive side of the ball.

The Vikes are projected to have $50+ million in cap space in 2018. I'd look to devote a chunk of that to Diggs and Kendricks and figure out the QB situation whether that means going after Cousins or  bringing back Keenum or Bridegewater.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Barr is already making $12 million in 2018. I don't think he will get much more than that on a per year basis. He plays a position that is not highly valued around the league.

Diggs is also a free agent in 2019.

Barr Diggs, Hunter and Kendricks are all key free agents in 2019. They will take up a lot of cap no doubt which may force some veterans like Remmers, Rudolph, and Murray off the team.

I'm not too worried about Sendejo. While he is a solid player, MN likely won't have too much issue drafting and developing his replacement within the next two years. Let's not forget that Zimmer is a DB guru.

It helps to have good coaching where MN should be able to keep the talent churning on the defensive side of the ball.

The Vikes are projected to have $50+ million in cap space in 2018. I'd look to devote a chunk of that to Diggs and Kendricks and figure out the QB situation whether that means going after Cousins or  bringing back Keenum or Bridegewater.

We're looking at the 2017 roster.  The argument was made that the Vikings had a successful 2017 campaign despite paying $20M to the Bradford/Keenum duo.  Moving forward, they're likely paying Keenum $20M so let's assume for a second that the Vikings end  up paying Keenum that.  That $50M in cap space dwindles down to $30M.  IF the Vikings spend that money ($30M) either towards their own 2017/2018 FA or UFA, they're taking away from future cap space since they're likely committing multiple years.  Right now, they've got a projected $62.5M in cap space in 2019.  Now that the Vikings have spent $20M on Keenum and the extra $30M they had "leftover" in 2018 they're using $50M of that $62.5M.  They've now got $12.5M to essentially re-sign their key FA.  That's not enough money.  That's why the Vikings if they're smart will look to see if they can sign their own FAs to below-market deals.