This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Man, if the Vikings sign Cousins, they're going to say goodbye to a lot of these players next year:

Kendricks, Floyd, Barr, Hunter and Diggs.

Almost guaranteed they'll lose one of Hunter or Diggs.

Don't know why they wouldn't just stick with Keenum, especially after what Foles just did.  They just played in the Championship round which had Bortles, Foles and Keenum and they're going to threaten their ability to maintain that defense for the long term by signing a slight upgrade at QB. 

Because what Keenum just did last year isn't repeatable.  Not in the slightest.  And they're at a minimum committing 3 years, $60M to sign Keenum.  That's probably closer to 4 years, $120M if you're signing Cousins.  I'd rather spend the extra $10M for Cousins all things considered.

I want the Vikings to sign Cousins.  It will rule out pretty much any hope they have of getting any compensatory picks for any of their quarterbacks.  It will prevent them from drafting a potentially elite QB in the first round for as long as they have that defense that they have.  It will cause the Vikings to lose one of Hunter/Diggs, either hurting that defense or hurting Cousins (losing Diggs), and I don't think Cousins is all that good. 

If we still had Capers, I'd be dreading Cousins in our division, but I have a lot of faith in our defense not being the worst in the division anymore. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because what Keenum just did last year isn't repeatable.  Not in the slightest.  And they're at a minimum committing 3 years, $60M to sign Keenum.  That's probably closer to 4 years, $120M if you're signing Cousins.  I'd rather spend the extra $10M for Cousins all things considered.

I agree, spend a little more to get the better QB. Keenum just wasn't very good in the playoffs and he had some bad games down the stretch against good teams.

I think the Vikes should either sign Teddy (hopefully much cheaper than Keenum) or go hard after Cousins. 

As for the ability to resign Diggs, Barr, Hunter and Kendricks, I'm not too worried. The Vikes are sitting on $60 million in cap space and Barr is already making $12 million in 2018. that is already factored into that number. Diggs needs to prove he can stay healthy and Hunter needs to step up in his second year starting.

Even if the Vikes acquire Cousins, I'd say there is still a good chance that MN gets a comp pick. Bradford, Keenum and Teddy could all sign for a combined $40 million elsewhere. Plus FAs Jerick McKinnon and Shamar Stephen should be valued somewhat highly as fringe starter level players ($4-6 million per year each). Hell, Michael Floyd might even attract some interest as a #2 WR given he has stayed clean for a year.

Edited by vikingsrule

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Or a franchise tag in 2020 and potentially another in 2021.   More like $50M ish guaranteed with that route.

Nah since he's making base only, you can convert that base to bonus and lower his cap hit significantly for the next 2 years. Davante's base for this year is 1m for example. Move all but 1m of Rodgers base this year and some of next year into roster bonuses and you can potentially lower his cap hit by probably 10m this year. No reason for us not to extend him and Matthews. Next year we figure to have 65-70m without these extensions so we should be looking to make these moves to help us improve this years roster. You're going to extend Aaron, so just do it, it will help you in the short term.

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Or a franchise tag in 2020 and potentially another in 2021.   More like $50M ish guaranteed with that route.

Yes, 2 years for 41 million and then two franchise years for maybe 50-55 million.  Equates to 4 years of control with nothing guaranteed now, for <100 million.  Rodgers contract won't be all that impressive unless you only look at new money.  He did get to pocket >38 million when he signed his contract, so also kind of a lie to say he's only making 21 million per the next two years.

I want Rodgers to be happy too, but he also has to understand his current bargaining position isn't the best if he wants to break $ records.

Edited by BrettFavre004

On 3/4/2018 at 8:26 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I want the Vikings to sign Cousins.  It will rule out pretty much any hope they have of getting any compensatory picks for any of their quarterbacks.  It will prevent them from drafting a potentially elite QB in the first round for as long as they have that defense that they have.  It will cause the Vikings to lose one of Hunter/Diggs, either hurting that defense or hurting Cousins (losing Diggs), and I don't think Cousins is all that good. 

If we still had Capers, I'd be dreading Cousins in our division, but I have a lot of faith in our defense not being the worst in the division anymore. 

Yeah, but they would have a near top tier QB  guaranteed to be on their roster who is in his prime. Not sure how any fan of a rival team would rather have Cousin's as their QB as opposed to Teddy/ Kennum/ Bradford. Cousins makes them a better team in the short run, no doubt.

From Jan 2017: 

Cousins’ record against teams with 9+ wins: 2-11

On second thought maybe he's another Stafford :P

( Yes I know wins are not a QB stat)

Edited by ArthurPensky

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

No thanks. I want a happy Rodgers

How much are you willing to give for a happy Rodgers?

If Cousins gets 3 years $90+M fully guaranteed,  are you willing to go 4 additional years at $130M if fully guaranteed new money?

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Nah since he's making base only, you can convert that base to bonus and lower his cap hit significantly for the next 2 years. Davante's base for this year is 1m for example. Move all but 1m of Rodgers base this year and some of next year into roster bonuses and you can potentially lower his cap hit by probably 10m this year. No reason for us not to extend him and Matthews. Next year we figure to have 65-70m without these extensions so we should be looking to make these moves to help us improve this years roster. You're going to extend Aaron, so just do it, it will help you in the short term.

Sure you can for the next 2 years.  But Rodgers has an ego....like most elite players.  He is going to want a new deal that looks better than what Cousins signs for.

That might be 120-130M in new money with a very large % of that being guaranteed over 4 added years.

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Sure you can for the next 2 years.  But Rodgers has an ego....like most elite players.  He is going to want a new deal that looks better than what Cousins signs for.

That might be 120-130M in new money with a very large % of that being guaranteed over 4 added years.

Yeah the money will be big, but the current team has 70m in cap space in 2019 and 100+ in 2020 currently. There's room to fit Rodgers deal. 

I just think we need to take advantage of every year now. By extending him now you can add some cap without cutting anyone and fit a guy like Wilkerson with a vet CB too.