This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

Former Steelers NT Casey Hampton talks about the evolution of the position that OGs are partially responsible for blocking:

"Casey Hampton was one of the best defensive tackles in Pittsburgh Steelers’ history, and not because of what he was as a pass rusher … because he wasn’t. Nope, he was strictly a two-gap nose tackle who disrupted play inside, occupied blockers and allowed linebackers to make tackles.

Sound familiar? Not to Hampton it doesn’t.

“Nobody plays the true nose-tackle position like I played it,” Hampton said on the latest Talk of Fame Network broadcast, “because the game has changed so much. I mean, I was like a two-gapper all the time. That’s what I did. And I don’t think guys really do that anymore.

“I think it’s more up-the-field and get-to-the quarterback because it’s such a passing league now. So I think what I did is almost entirely extinct now. It’s still the nose-tackle position, but it’s entirely different the way they play it now.”

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Disagree

Why did NFL teams stop using and paying  guys like Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams, Grady Jackson and Ryan Pickett in favor of interior DL that can rush the passer ?

Capers took the Big Fatties to the SB, the heaviest 30 front in history. But then NFL offenses evolved and the fatties became dinosaurs

Teams soon realized that the era of girth was over and the shift to NT/DTs with wiggle was under way across the league. Teams play very little base anymore and the value and paychecks of the fatties went away. That's just one aspect of the never-ending evolution in the NFL.

LeRoy Butler always says on the show he's a part of that Fritz Shurmur consistently told them the "fastest way to the QB is right through the middle." That's a 90s DC. The run game was more prevalent back then so you blitzed LBs and DBs through the A gaps. Now with a prevalent pass game, you have pass rushing UTs but it's the same principle. You're attacking the IOL. You still have 3 OL for 2 DL and a RB that focuses more on the middle than the edges in pass pro.

46 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Time and time again, right. Guard was drafted in the top 10 this year, highest paid guard now. Multiple RBs in the past 4 years have been taken in the top 10, but stick to your talking points.

Cowboys, Cardinals, Colts, Giants, Rams, Jags, Panthers.

That's off my head the last few teams who have taken a guard or RB in the top 10. Lots of mediocrity there, that's the blueprint we should follow...

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

http://www.chicagobearpause.com/2018/07/3-reasons-packers-are-done-winning.html

Guys we've been supplanted by Mitch Turdbisky and the bears in the North as Gutey is in rebuild mode. Man this guy is trying desperately to fan the flames.

Thanks for posting the link.  It was good for a laugh this morning.  About the only thing he said that had a shred of truth was Rodgers will be expensive.  The rest of it was a stretch.  If Rodgers wasn't injured last year the Packers would have finished with a much better record and probably won the division.  They aren't really rebuilding.  Does anybody really think that because they trust Mitch T down in Chicago that suddenly makes them a better team or that they don't trust Rodgers up in Green Bay?  The author is an idiot and I'm sure the intended audience doesn't believe what he just spewed.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't even believe it.  

Other teams saw the chink in the armor last year when Rodgers went down last year. Therefore, they think they can supplant us and take the North. Chicago is 2 years away from having anything that resembles a complete team. Their WR corps is stocked with WR3's and Allen Robinson is coming off a serious injury IIRC. Trey Burton is not a true TE1. Their OT's are suspect. Their defense will need a good year and a half to gel together. I'm not scared. They have a lot of potential, but little proven talent. Minnesota is still the better team by far and their running game will be interesting to watch as Cook comes back from a nasty injury, they've lost McKinnon, Murray is very up and down, and their OL is a work in progress at best.

However, I would say that our division will be VERY competitive next year.

• 1 month later...

New Bears head coach Matt Nagy was said to have been hired for his ability to coach up Trubisky.  I never understood why everybody acted like he was some great offensive coordinator for quarterbacks.  Since 2013, he was either the quarterbacks coach or the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs.  Alex Smith has averaged 20 touchdowns a season and has consistently shown an allergy to throwing to receivers.  One of those years, I think it took until week 15 for one of his receivers - meaning an actual wide receiver - to catch a TD pass. 

I feel like 26 touchdowns, 5 interceptions and 4,042 yards for an okay, 13 year veteran QB with Hill, Hunt and Kelce as receiving options is extremely disappointing. 

I was curious to see how the Bears QBs have been doing in the preseason this year. 

Bears quarterbacks are 54/93 (58%), 533 yards (5.7 yards per attempt), 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions. 

We play them September 9th to kick off the regular season. 

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

New Bears head coach Matt Nagy was said to have been hired for his ability to coach up Trubisky.  I never understood why everybody acted like he was some great offensive coordinator for quarterbacks.  Since 2013, he was either the quarterbacks coach or the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs.  Alex Smith has averaged 20 touchdowns a season and has consistently shown an allergy to throwing to receivers.  One of those years, I think it took until week 15 for one of his receivers - meaning an actual wide receiver - to catch a TD pass. 

I feel like 26 touchdowns, 5 interceptions and 4,042 yards for an okay, 13 year veteran QB with Hill, Hunt and Kelce as receiving options is extremely disappointing. 

I was curious to see how the Bears QBs have been doing in the preseason this year. 

Bears quarterbacks are 54/93 (58%), 533 yards (5.7 yards per attempt), 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions. 

We play them September 9th to kick off the regular season. 

The Bears won't need offense when they beat the Packers to the punch and trade for Mack.  ;)

On 8/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, Cheesehawk said:

How are we lining up against the rest of the division now? 

Heard Easton (Min G) is out for the year, anyone know what their projected starting OL looks like?

It is going to come down to us v. Minnesota. Detroit and Chicago won't be bad teams but will battle it out for 3rd and 4th . IMO, it's going to take 12-4 to win this division. Minnesota is a better team overall than we are, and is a team of few weaknesses, their OL certainly being the biggest one. They are getting healthier though with Remmers and Elflein coming back, but Easton is a big loss on an already fragile unit. Their veteran defense will be stout as always. We still challenge for the division for one reason: We have Aaron Rodgers. Week 2 is vital for GB. If we lose at home to Minny, IMO we will be chasing them the rest of the year. 

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It is going to come down to us v. Minnesota. Detroit and Chicago won't be bad teams but will battle it out for 3rd and 4th . IMO, it's going to take 12-4 to win this division. Minnesota is a better team overall than we are, and is a team of few weaknesses, their OL certainly being the biggest one. They are getting healthier though with Remmers and Elflein coming back, but Easton is a big loss on an already fragile unit. Their veteran defense will be stout as always. We still challenge for the division for one reason: We have Aaron Rodgers. Week 2 is vital for GB. If we lose at home to Minny, IMO we will be chasing them the rest of the year. 

Don't know if I agree there. They are a better team than we are without Rodgers, but I wouldn't necessarily say overall because overall includes Rodgers. It's also 2018, not 2017. Both teams have had significant roster turnover and new coaches, so need to see the new guys contribute first. Graham, Williams, Jackson, Adams, Burks, King, Jiare, ect seem to have the opportunity to be real contributors that weren't there last year. Of course, MN has some big new additions too that no one has seen play in season action.

They're going to have to figure something out with their Oline to reach their potential. Like you said, they're getting healthier, but If they are still beat up there on week 2 the Packers Dline could have a day.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Warren Sharp of Sharp Football with some in depth commentary on the Bears potential offensive improvements under the tutelage of Nagy. Packers will get a lot of un-scouted looks in the opener, but I think the bears are gonna be without TE Adam Shaheen who is injured and that will limit some of the 12 personnel looks

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/efficiency-explosion-headed-for-the-windy-city