Players You're "Higher" on and "Lower" on: QB

MrOaktown_56

Basically, see the title. I figured we could start a bit of a "trend" as we get into training camp regarding doing this for every position, or something along those lines. Try to post one of each, in addition to responding to anything you agree/disagree with.

Higher on: Ryan Tanehill

I don't think he's loved on FF, but I see Tanny as a slightly above average qb who has done pretty well despite not having the best OL around him. I think the dolphins would have had a respectable game against Pittsburgh and put up some points with a healthy Tanehill.

Lower on: Joe Flacco

I've already gotten a lot of Flak for this, but I think Flacco is a below average starter right now. There are at least 16 guys I'd take over Flacco right now. His health and supporting cast haven't been the best, but he simply hasn't been consistent and has played a role in the Ravens mediocrity as of late. That being said, he has the guys around him this year to potentially take the Ravens to the playoffs, but he has to prove it after the last few years.

I have to be higher on Matthew Stafford than most.  He averages 28 TD passes per season when he plays 16 games and led the Lions to the playoffs in 3/6 of those seasons.  He is middle of the pack in TD:INT.  It also seems to me that he is just dismissed when fans try to say their QB is top whatever, he always seems to be just behind the QB they are propping up.  I get the impression that most think he is slightly below average, while I think he is above average.

8 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have to be higher on Matthew Stafford than most.  He averages 28 TD passes per season when he plays 16 games and led the Lions to the playoffs in 3/6 of those seasons.  He is middle of the pack in TD:INT.  It also seems to me that he is just dismissed when fans try to say their QB is top whatever, he always seems to be just behind the QB they are propping up.  I get the impression that most think he is slightly below average, while I think he is above average.

I'd put him around 10. Especially after last season. He's Matt Ryan before his MVP.

I'm probably higher on Cousins/Dalton/Taylor/Smith/Stafford/Brees than most and lower on Newton/Flacco/Luck/Brady than most.

It looks like I'm higher on non-prototypical quarterbacks and lower on the cookie cutter quarterbacks.

Brady is obviously very good at what he does but there have been some signs the last few years that indicate that he is starting to get a little more inconsistent, at least in the occasional errant throws which may or may not be a sign of things to come. He is still near the top of current QBs but I wouldn't put him as the obvious #1 as many do.

I'm higher on Cam Newton than most. His toolset is unworldly. Incredible athlete with arm talent galore. He's got a pretty deep floor, but his ceiling can lock up a few MVPs as well as some deep playoff runs. 

I'm lower on Andrew Luck. Not that I don't think very highly of him, but somewhere in the course of his career he's got to work with what he has and make chicken salad out of chicken excrement. Not every situation will be ideal - in fact, most QBs drafted that high end up in a bad situation. Can't say "well the Colts are bad at drafting," all the time.

High
Carson Wentz- Hes got a phenomenal arm, can make every throw, very athletic, and he comes off as a guy who gets the game mentally. I think hes going to be great in the league as long as Philly puts good pieces around him.

Philip Rivers- Always though he was underrated, decision making has been sketchy last 4 years or so, think it has more to do with him playing with a crappy team and him trying to do too much(and also the o-line)

Alex Smith- He gets crapped on too much, he's still a really good qb

Low

Tyrod Tylor- dude looks lost, a lot. You can tell the game is way too fast for him. He's a great runner but way too limited as a qb

Jared Goff- Hes really, really green. Did not like what i saw. Hes not a gamer

7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm higher on Cam Newton than most. His toolset is unworldly. Incredible athlete with arm talent galore. He's got a pretty deep floor, but his ceiling can lock up a few MVPs as well as some deep playoff runs. 

Sounds a lot like Michael Vick. If he tried.

Higher

Matt Stafford -   I didnt always like him, but he has honestly turned into a better QB WITHOUT Calvin Johnson.   

Philip Rivers -  Ehh....I think most are pretty well aware of how good he can be, but I think he gets overlooked anymore because of the team he plays on.

Drew Brees -  Despite some absurd homerism with him involving certain fans, in general, he seems to get overlooked for similar reasons as Rivers.    Mediocre head coach and terrible GM cant put a good team around him to take advantage of how elite he is.   And yes, he is still elite.

Lower

Alex Smith - My main issue here is how I always see people saying "He is underrated. you can win with him"....and thats what annoys me about him.  Yes, he is a solid QB, but when you need an elite defense and running game to have any hope being a real contender with him, you have to take a hard look at what youre getting....and with Alex Smith, youre not getting a true franchise QB.

Not Sure

Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton   -  I lump these guys together under "not sure" because it kind of fluctuates.    For his first few years, Luck homers on here made me kind of hate Luck, even though it wasnt his fault.    He has been a good, sometimes great QB, obviously, but sometimes the praise he got was laughably unwarranted.     Wilson just seems to be very streaky to me, and when he gets on a hot streak, his fanboys shine the worlds brightest spotlight on it and act like we should ignore everything else, and thats when Im lower on him.      Cam....well, Ive always been lower on Cam than most.   Dont get me wrong....always LIKED him for the most part, but Ive never been overly impressed with his passing ability.   2015 he did really surprise me and I gave him made props.....but I wasnt one bit shocked when he came back down to earth in 2016.       

I like all 3 of these guys, but they have too many ups and downs for me to adequately place them.  

8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sounds a lot like Michael Vick. If he tried.

Vick in his first year in Philly would be a pretty apt comparison. This being said, Vick was the more dominant runner, but his arm was set to "eviscerate" - there was simply no concept of touch from Vick, which hinders his overall effectiveness. If he needed to fire a pass into a tight window, he could. If he needed to feather a pass into an open spot, he'd...fire a pass into a tight window.

10 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I'm higher on Andrew Luck than (seemingly) most of FF.

I'm lower on Andrew Luck than (seemingly) most of general football fans.

Forreal if you got on R/NFL, or twitter, you'll see luck plastered in easily as a top 5-6 qb. Like no debate. It's like nothing he does wrong is his fault, but everything he does right is.

Higher: Drew Brees(think he very well has an argument as one of the greatest ever, feel he's in that same tier as Brady/PManning/Rodgers), Alex Smith, Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill

Lower: Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger(Think Ben has been really good in his career, too many times I've seen him placed in the elite tier, when he's been far too inconsistent to register there), Carson Wentz(guy was garbage last season, I don't get the lovefest for him)

Higher: Eli Manning and Derek Carr 

Lower: Cam Newton and Matt Ryan 

I don't know how anyone could be "higher" on Drew Brees. I think he is, at least among educated and informed football fans, universally regarded (rightfully and deservingly) as a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Archived