Jrry32 Post-Senior Mock Off-Season

jrry32

I thought I'd toss out another possible scenario. I've finally had some time to review some tape on prospects.

Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend
DT Aaron Donald
WR Sammy Watkins
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S LaMarcus Joyner
S Cody Davis
C John Sullivan
DT Tyrunn Walker
OLB Connor Barwin
CB Troy Hill
HB Malcolm Brown
OLB Matt Longacre
LS Jake McQuaide

Trumaine asks for too much and ends up walking. We bring Sammy back on a 3 year $30 million deal. It's a win-win for Sammy and us. Other than that, it's pretty standard except for Barwin, but I brought him back to provide a veteran presence after the Quinn trade.

Free Agency
CB Aqib Talib
CB Aaron Colvin
ILB Navorro Bowman
OLB Trent Murphy
OLB Aaron Lynch or Jeremiah Attaochu
SS Kemal Ishmael

Talib was a star in Wade's defense before and should be more affordable than Tru due to his age. I think we can get him on a two-year deal at around $9 million or $10 million per year. He's still an outstanding press corner.

I think Colvin has a lot in common with Casey Hayward. The Packers let Hayward walk to SD at an affordable because they had better CBs. Hayward thrived in SD when he was given more responsibility. I think Colvin can do the same. He's played good football for the Jaguars primarily in the slot, but with Bouye and Ramsey, the Jaguars aren't going to push hard to re-sign him. I think he'll be affordable, and I think his best football is ahead of him. At 6'0" 195, Colvin is versatile enough to play inside and outside.

Bowman is brought in to play the thumper role next to Ogletree. We give him an affordable, short deal to bring leadership and run-stuffing ability. I think he'd be a good guy to have in the locker-room.

We give Murphy a "prove it" contract. He went down in the preseason with a season-ending injury and was popped for PEDs. The suspension isn't an issue because it was served while he was on IR. However, with the injury and suspension, I don't see Murphy getting any lucrative long-term offers. He recorded 9 sacks in 2016, so he'll have an opportunity to set himself up for a solid payday with another productive year.

Lynch or Attaochu are fliers. We take a shot on one of the two to see if they can tap into the potential they have. Both have shown the ability to be productive pass rushers in the past.

We add Ishmael as depth behind John Johnson. Ishmael is a great tackler and a solid player at SS. He's also an outstanding special teamer and would provide value for us there.

Trade
Rams trade OLB Robert Quinn
Jets trade Round 2 Pick #5

The Jets have no edge rushers. Quinn put up 9.5 sacks in 2017 and can still win the corner. He's also under contract at an affordable 2 years $23 million at just 27 years old. Why do we let Quinn go? With the Donald extension happening this off-season, it would behoove us to free up some cash on defense.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Hercules Mata'afa OLB Washington State

Round 2 Pick #5 - Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech

Round 3 Pick #23 - Shaquem Griffin ILB/OLB UCF

Round 4 Pick #23 - Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia

Round 5 Pick #23 - Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan

Round 6 Pick #20 - Quinton Flowers HB USF

Round 6 Pick #21 - Scott Quessenberry C UCLA

Round 6 Pick #23 - Khalid Hill TE/FB Michigan

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Tim Settle
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Hercules Mata'afa
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Navorro Bowman
SOLB: Trent Murphy
LCB: Aqib Talib
RCB: Aaron Colvin
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Would the Rams really consider moving Robert Quinn?

Its been a topic we have been trowing around since the start of the season. Although Quinn came on strong toward the end of the season as he finally got comfortable in Wade's system, he still feels like a square peg in a round hole.

He is still a good pass rusher, he is only 27, and he is on a decently friendly contract for 2 more seasons (especially compared to what you would pay on the open market for an edge rusher of his caliber). So he wouldnt be cheap, Id imagine he wouldnt go for anything less than a Top 50 pick. Especially considering the lack of sack artists at the top of the draft (Chubb is a Top 5 guy and Edmunds is the new hot prospect. But after that, Davenport is extremely Raw, Key is nothing but a question mark, Landry has a medical, and neither Hubbard nor Evans are lighting anyones fire)

So I would say yes, they would probably consider it, but it would need to be worth while.

I am really starting to warm up to the idea of adding Talib and Bowman to this defense. That would add an edge to this team that we just dont have right now. 

I like Hercules alot, I am just not sure where he fits. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing.

Settle is a really solid NT, its just such a step down from where my brain put this defense with Vea or Payne in the middle of it. Not a bad thing, its just one of those ideas that is hard to get past.

Shaquem is so underrated, and I feel like he could be a really nice piece in this Defense, a guy Ive really had my eye on.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Wanted to ask ya'll what you think the odds are that Tavon Austin is cut this off-season?

I wouldn't mind him one bit in Chicago in a Tyreek Hill kind of role.

I'd say the chances are very good he's gone. I'd also say he won't be near as good as Hill in that role. We've never seen consistent route running from him in all these years. His return game hasn't been good in a couple of years. He really isn't as good as Hill in any way IMO.

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Wanted to ask ya'll what you think the odds are that Tavon Austin is cut this off-season?

I wouldn't mind him one bit in Chicago in a Tyreek Hill kind of role.

There is still some dispute on how much cap space it would save to cut him (either $3m or $8m) which could push the FO one way or another. But to me, and I believe others, it doesnt really matter we just need to move on.

But if you are looking for a Tyreek Hill type, it is not Tavon Austin. He is much more of a Percy Harvin with less physicality, or a Denard Robinson type. He doesnt have a true fit, but he still has a few elite skills.

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

There is still some dispute on how much cap space it would save to cut him (either $3m or $8m) which could push the FO one way or another. But to me, and I believe others, it doesnt really matter we just need to move on.

But if you are looking for a Tyreek Hill type, it is not Tavon Austin. He is much more of a Percy Harvin with less physicality, or a Denard Robinson type. He doesnt have a true fit, but he still has a few elite skills.

I'm looking for someone who can rip the top off a defense, which I think Austin can do with ease. You can throw in some gimmicks with misdirection ghost jet sweeps etc, but this kid I don't think is going to be breaking the bank and he's "only" turning 27 in March. I'd take a flier, but we are also unbelievably desperate.

Is it a lock Sammy Watkins comes back to ya'll?

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again, Im telling you, thats not Tavon Austin. Never has been

Elaborate on that please... are you saying he can't run a simple go route or is he terrible at tracking the ball, etc?

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Elaborate on that please... are you saying he can't run a simple go route or is he terrible at tracking the ball, etc?

He's never developed into a deep threat. He's not a good route runner, he doesn't catch the ball in traffic well, and he's not elite with his top-end speed. It's his acceleration and quickness that are elite. His top-end speed is merely good. Maybe some WR Coach figures out how to get through to the kid, but he just never developed into much of a WR here. I think I'd take a shot on teaching him how to be a HB and see if he can learn to pick up blitzes. He'd be a killer change of pace runner with some practice.

Archived