Players may boycott spring training?

mission27

Keep hearing this type of stuff from reputable guys like Olney.  Apparently they are mad at the slow free agent market and want to strike.

Seems kind of crazy though... no one wants to sign a bunch of flea free agents, want to save up for the CS next offseason, and people are mad?  Please.

This isn’t about collusion this is about Eric Hosmer not hitting enough home runs.

This would make the players look petty IMO. Go to spring training and during the season play the games that you're being paid well enough already for. If there's room for improvement for the players in the CBA have it ironed out that way.

14 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We live in a country where we subsidize billionaires pleasure palaces with taxpayer money. 

Man our priorities are messed.

Yeah let's be honest here, people will be with the players until they are inconvenienced even slightly. We're as big of baseball fans as they come, and I can tell you I give 0 craps about spring training, but even the threat of missing some of the early games is enough to change public perception?

"I'm on your side as long as you do absolutely everything I want you to do" is not actually someone who's on your side.

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Until the MLBPA actually gives a rats *** about minor league players, I'm not on their side.  I'd much rather see a $40,000 minimum minor league salary than Eric Hosmer getting an extra $25 million that his play doesn't warrant.

So you're on the owners side?

If the owners wanted to pay MiLB players a fair wage, they would.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So you're on the owners side?

If the owners wanted to pay MiLB players a fair wage, they would.

Not really on the owners side either, but the MLBPA sells out the minor league players pretty much first thing every CBA negotiation.  The players signed a horrible CBA, I'm much more apt to be on their side if they threaten this when going into new negotiations once the contract is up.  Striking because they don't like the crappy deal they made doesn't really engender my support.  My point remains though, I'd much rather see minor league players get a $40,000 minimum salary than Hosmer get an 8th year or extra money he likely won't be worth.

If I'm a MLB dictator, I increase revenue sharing, institute a minimum salary floor within 20% of a salary cap, create the minor league minimum salary, cut team control to 4 years, create the Franchise tag, and eliminate universal guaranteed contracts.  If teams want to guarantee money, let them, but every contract being guaranteed is lunacy to me.

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Not really on the owners side either, but the MLBPA sells out the minor league players pretty much first thing every CBA negotiation.  The players signed a horrible CBA, I'm much more apt to be on their side if they threaten this when going into new negotiations once the contract is up.  Striking because they don't like the crappy deal they made doesn't really engender my support.  My point remains though, I'd much rather see minor league players get a $40,000 minimum salary than Hosmer get an 8th year or extra money he likely won't be worth.

If I'm a MLB dictator, I increase revenue sharing, institute a minimum salary floor within 20% of a salary cap, create the minor league minimum salary, cut team control to 4 years, create the Franchise tag, and eliminate universal guaranteed contracts.  If teams want to guarantee money, let them, but every contract being guaranteed is lunacy to me.

The players screwed up and should have boycotted this year instead of signing the CBA. No question about it. The players historically have given the owners unliveable wages for MiLB players and reduced amateur spending to keep the money flowing to free agents, and I think it's despicable. Been saying that on this board for years.

But this is an either-or situation. It would be like you saying you were rooting for the Colts in the Super Bowl last night (dunno if you're a Colts fan or not, sorry). Sure that's what you want in a perfect world, but they weren't playing. We've got 2 choices here, and I don't think there's any rational argument supporting the owners over the players as a means to get us closer to what you or I would envision as an ideal financial state for baseball. So that puts us on the players' side, which means even if we don't like the context of how we got here, why any player ratified this ridiculous CBA, or why Tony Clark has a job, starting from today, if we want to get closer to a more equitable, moral distribution of the money baseball makes, it comes with supporting things the players do to gain leverage.

I'd say a boycott in spring training is a small, positive step. That's definitely debateable. But I don't think it's debateable that you should be supporting the players in general.

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The players screwed up and should have boycotted this year instead of signing the CBA. No question about it. The players historically have given the owners unliveable wages for MiLB players and reduced amateur spending to keep the money flowing to free agents, and I think it's despicable. Been saying that on this board for years.

But this is an either-or situation. It would be like you saying you were rooting for the Colts in the Super Bowl last night (dunno if you're a Colts fan or not, sorry). Sure that's what you want in a perfect world, but they weren't playing. We've got 2 choices here, and I don't think there's any rational argument supporting the owners over the players as a means to get us closer to what you or I would envision as an ideal financial state for baseball. So that puts us on the players' side, which means even if we don't like the context of how we got here, why any player ratified this ridiculous CBA, or why Tony Clark has a job, starting from today, if we want to get closer to a more equitable, moral distribution of the money baseball makes, it comes with supporting things the players do to gain leverage.

I'd say a boycott in spring training is a small, positive step. That's definitely debateable. But I don't think it's debateable that you should be supporting the players in general.

But they did sign it.  Honor the contract.  They want to re-up the share of their percentage in the next CBA?  I can support that.

Archived