Prediction: Redskins will Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets!

aceinthehouse

Jets have the cap to bid on Cousins as a Free Agent. But they wont do that! Here's why...

They wont want to take the risk of him landing in Buffalo.

They also know the Browns can outbid everyone.

So here's what the Jets will do.

They will offer the Redskins a swap of 1st round picks. (swapping 6th for 13)

While staying in decent position in the 1st RD.

They will also trade Matt Forte & a 3rd Rd pick. (freeing up more cap space)

Redskins get a 3rd back, from the trade for Alex Smith.

They also get a veteran RB for their questionable backfield.

While also moving up 7 spots in the 1st rd. I believe they will target draft prospect OG Quenton Nelson to solidify their O- Line as the best in football.

Cousins gets to go back playing in Green again, like at Michigan St. I also believe he will get a contract extension for about 3 or 4 year deal.

just short enough, to get another big contract when he hits 33 or 34 yrs old. (much like Alex Smith)

all parties win!

Redskins will want something in return for Cousins.

Bruce Allen is too stubborn, to let him walk for nothing.

The Redskins will place the Franchise Tag on Cousins & the Jets will certainly bite!

Not to mention these 2 teams have a history of doing business together, including trades.

I believe the Redskins want something in return, that makes Bruce feel like he won.

They obviously wont net the two 1st rd picks a Franchise Tag can award. But the Skins can choose what compensation they want as well.

or at least negotiate it. They also don't want to be stuck with a 34M disgruntled player on the roster straining their cap.

You ask yourself?

Why would the Jets do this?

Well, lots of reasons really.

To not be struggling to land a top QB in FA.

To not pin their hopes on a rookie QB in the Draft.

To not get into bidding war, with other QB needy teams.

If the cost to land a Franchise QB is 3rd rd pick, a player in Forte they're cutting anyways & a drop down of only 7 spots and retaining the 1st rd for a prospect they are targeting is it?

They will jump on this deal ahead of the 8-ball, just like the Skins did for Alex Smith.

My theory, anyways.

Cousins is picking his team this offseason. If the skins decide to tag him with the intent to trade, he can hold out for a bit and keep that 35 mil on there books handcuffing them the entire time all while letting the league know he is not signing a long term deal with any team that cant win now. 

If you are the jets or browns or any other rebuild roster with a need for a qb and cap room, why would you trade anything  for a qb that you get as a 1 year rental at best? would you trade anything above a 3rd for that right? 

Best thing skins do is let him walk and take the comp 3rd pick they will get next year for losing him as a FA.

actually, if the Jets traded a 3rd for Cousins on a 1 yr tag? And then lost him to free agency cause cousins bolted?

They would receive a 3rd rd compensatory pick for a 1 yr rental.

Assuming he wouldn't sign an extension.

So the Redskins should easily receive a 3rd rd pick minimum for cousins, even if the team doesn't extend him.

cause they would get it back.

and skins get a 3rd back they traded for smith.

I believe there is some sort of rule about trading a tagged player. I may be wrong, but I think it is forbidden under the CBA and if I am right, there will be no trade. However, I do believe that either the Jets or denver will sign Cousins, Denver, because it would make them a SB contender again and the Jets, because he may want to go to the NY ad market, to make even more money outside of football.  Anyways those are my 2 choices for his destination!!!!

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Why would the Jets trade the Redskins anything?

Never underestimate the stupidity of the New York Jets.  I wouldn't put it past them to trade the sixth pick, a third round pick and Matt Forte for a fathead of Kirk Cousins, a signed portrait of President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho and Washington's  first round pick in 2028 because they didn't realize what year it is. 

Archived