Prediction: Redskins will Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets!

aceinthehouse

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I believe there is some sort of rule about trading a tagged player. I may be wrong, but I think it is forbidden under the CBA and if I am right, there will be no trade. However, I do believe that either the Jets or denver will sign Cousins, Denver, because it would make them a SB contender again and the Jets, because he may want to go to the NY ad market, to make even more money outside of football.  Anyways those are my 2 choices for his destination!!!!

It's not against the rules, but it's frowned upon.  The Packers did it several years ago with Corey Williams.

For those that blow off the idea that Bruce & the Skins wont Tag Cousins a 3rd time?

You're really underestimating how personal this business/relationship has gone, between Bruce Allen & Kirk Cousins.

I'm talking Al Davis/Marcus Allen personal.

So don't believe for a second, that Bruce wont tag him & bench him out of spite, if a trade doesn't happen.

Which I'm not worried about.

Some team will definitely bite. Even if for just a 1 yr rental.

12 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

For those that blow off the idea that Bruce & the Skins wont Tag Cousins a 3rd time?

You're really underestimating how personal this business/relationship has gone, between Bruce Allen & Kirk Cousins.

I'm talking Al Davis/Marcus Allen personal.

So don't believe for a second, that Bruce wont tag him & bench him out of spite, if a trade doesn't happen.

Which I'm not worried about.

Some team will definitely bite. Even if for just a 1 yr rental.

The Davis/Allen thing happened before FA and the money back then does not compare with the money he would have to pay Cousins if he tagged him. With what Cousins and Smith make, he would have to cut a # of his star players to accomodate Cousins contract and a few other starters as well, so I see no way, he tags him, it would be a total cap disaster!

Cousins wants a max money deal and Denver cant give him that.

If the Skins tag him they have to pay his first year bonus and it will be a 34mil contract....and they have 17 mil on Alex Smith.

I dont think they can afford 51mil on qbs....best thing to do is fold and give up and just get a 3rd round comp pick.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, Iamcanadian said:

I believe there is some sort of rule about trading a tagged player. I may be wrong, but I think it is forbidden under the CBA

Nope you can trade him for whatever you want. He will still earn the tag total in 2018 and that cap number will go against the team that has him, an extension won't change the $35 million due in 2018

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Nope you can trade him for whatever you want. He will still earn the tag total in 2018 and that cap number will go against the team that has him, an extension won't change the $35 million due in 2018

Yep. Not impossible but very unlikely. As someone else has mentioned, it's highly frowned upon as it sends a bad message to the other players. 

A transition tag/trade is more likely to happen than a franchise tag/trade is. But that's not a good look either.   

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yep. Not impossible but very unlikely. As someone else has mentioned, it's highly frowned upon as it sends a bad message to the other players. 

A transition tag/trade is more likely to happen than a franchise tag/trade is. But that's not a good look either.   

Well if no other team offers him a contract then it would work but that wouldn't be the case and the Redskins wouldn't be in a position to match a long term deal offered to Cousins so he would just walk anyway. It's either the franchise tag or nothing. I think it will be nothing but we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if no other team offers him a contract then it would work but that wouldn't be the case and the Redskins wouldn't be in a position to match a long term deal offered to Cousins so he would just walk anyway. It's either the franchise tag or nothing. I think it will be nothing but we'll see.

it wouldn't matter if no other team makes an offer or not. The Redskins don't have to necessarily tag him AND then put up an offer. They could allow Cousins to talk to other teams, gets that teams offer that is willing to sign him and then Cousins could go back to the Redskins and sign-off on a transition tag.

This would be good/bad for all 3 but it's best compromise at this point. Cousins wants out - the Redskins want something for him in return - Cousins new team gets who they want at a cheaper rate but only a 1 year heavy deal instead of investing millions on a long-term deal.

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Redskins will put themselves in a tough situation by tagging him. 

Its best to just move on, take the comp pick and focus on Alex Smith and drafting your next guy to develop behind him.

This is kinda how I feel about the situation too. They need to move on.

While I commend Snyder and the Redskins for taking the "prove it me" approach, I think tagging him a 3rd time would fall far below the line of holding a player hostage which would be a very bad look for them. 

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

it wouldn't matter if no other team makes an offer or not. The Redskins don't have to necessarily tag him AND then put up an offer. They could allow Cousins to talk to other teams, gets that teams offer that is willing to sign him and then Cousins could go back to the Redskins and sign-off on a transition tag.

This would be good/bad for all 3 but it's best compromise at this point. Cousins wants out - the Redskins want something for him in return - Cousins new team gets who they want at a cheaper rate but only a 1 year heavy deal instead of investing millions on a long-term deal.

Cousins isn't going to do the Redskins any favors by putting the ball in their hands and taking assets from his future team. He'd just accept an offer with a team and the Redskins obviously wouldn't match it because it would be a multi-year deal.

Archived