Prediction: Redskins will Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets!

aceinthehouse

On 2/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, aceinthehouse said:

Jets have the cap to bid on Cousins as a Free Agent. But they wont do that! Here's why...

They wont want to take the risk of him landing in Buffalo.

They also know the Browns can outbid everyone.

So here's what the Jets will do.

They will offer the Redskins a swap of 1st round picks. (swapping 6th for 13)

While staying in decent position in the 1st RD.

They will also trade Matt Forte & a 3rd Rd pick. (freeing up more cap space)

Redskins get a 3rd back, from the trade for Alex Smith.

They also get a veteran RB for their questionable backfield.

While also moving up 7 spots in the 1st rd. I believe they will target draft prospect OG Quenton Nelson to solidify their O- Line as the best in football.

Cousins gets to go back playing in Green again, like at Michigan St. I also believe he will get a contract extension for about 3 or 4 year deal.

just short enough, to get another big contract when he hits 33 or 34 yrs old. (much like Alex Smith)

all parties win!

Redskins will want something in return for Cousins.

Bruce Allen is too stubborn, to let him walk for nothing.

The Redskins will place the Franchise Tag on Cousins & the Jets will certainly bite!

Not to mention these 2 teams have a history of doing business together, including trades.

Hmmmmm- @aceinthehouse- weren't you the guy who Boldly Went Where No Man Had Gone Before, and predicted that Kirk Cousins would throw for 5,000 yards in the 2016 season? Started a thread to that effect, that was a season-long roller-coaster ride of ups and downs? It ended up as best I recall with Kirk just missing that stupefying total- he got 4900+, I believe. It was a courageous prediction and, by gosh, you came very close to being right!

And I give you the points for that- both the prediction, and the Stand-By-Your-Man loyalty throughout.

Having said that, would it be a fair guess that you're an admiring fan of Kirk Cousins? Perhaps his staunchest on this site? And that you have an emotional investment in the player?

And, if that is so, is it possible that your Tag-and-Trade scenario detailed above arises as much from hurt feelings over Cousins leaving the Redskins- and the desire to get something in return to assuage that unhappiness, rather than have him leave as a free-agent- as it does rational thought?

Just a suggestion. And perhaps you will turn out to be right. You certainly came close with the 5,000-Yards-Or-Bust Thread, and provided a lot of entertainment for the site throughout the season.

Image result for Kirk Cousins

10 hours ago, bzane said:

Hmmmmm- @aceinthehouse- weren't you the guy who Boldly Went Where No Man Had Gone Before, and predicted that Kirk Cousins would throw for 5,000 yards in the 2016 season? Started a thread to that effect, that was a season-long roller-coaster ride of ups and downs? It ended up as best I recall with Kirk just missing that stupefying total- he got 4900+, I believe. It was a courageous prediction and, by gosh, you came very close to being right!

And I give you the points for that- both the prediction, and the Stand-By-Your-Man loyalty throughout.

Having said that, would it be a fair guess that you're an admiring fan of Kirk Cousins? Perhaps his staunchest on this site? And that you have an emotional investment in the player?

And, if that is so, is it possible that your Tag-and-Trade scenario detailed above arises as much from hurt feelings over Cousins leaving the Redskins- and the desire to get something in return to assuage that unhappiness, rather than have him leave as a free-agent- as it does rational thought?

Just a suggestion. And perhaps you will turn out to be right. You certainly came close with the 5,000-Yards-Or-Bust Thread, and provided a lot of entertainment for the site throughout the season.

Image result for Kirk Cousins

Actually, I've been wanting to trade him for 3 yrs now.

I thinks he's an exceptionally talented QB, with some major defects I don't want for my franchise QB.

Take Drew Brees....

Take away composure, clutchness & leadership?

And you have Kirk Cousins.

I guess I wish we had Drew Brees as a Redskin.

Kirk did come out and say winning was important to him...

Not that the Jets are on the Browns level or anything, but they’re not exactly as attractive as Jacksonville or Denver either. Not sure why Kirk would agree to an extension in NY unless some other destinations become unavailable.

I really don't think the Redskins are going to be tagging and trading Foles.  You can't tag somebody with the intention of trading them.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure you can't do that.  Nothing is ever done with it because it's easy to say you wanted to re-sign them, but with the Redskins trading for Smith, that makes it much harder to lie about it. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

If they tag him, 31 other teams are gonna sit by and watch the Redskins overpay him for an entire season as the backup to Alex Smith.

Totally agree. But again, you are vastly underestimating the front office in DC. This has become personal between Allen and Cousins.

As I sit here & type, the Redskins are probably in conversation with 4-6 teams about their willingness to make a tag & trade deal.

Probably talking about compensation.

Probably talking about Cousins signing an extension with them or not.

Probably talking about plan B, if he doesn't sign right away.

The point is, the Skins are already now laying the groundwork for Cousins destination in a Tag & Trade deal.

There are teams who are not desperate for Cousins. There are teams who are. Jobs are on the line for many coaches & GM's.

There are also some teams with tons of CAP space, who could not land Cousins vs those who could.

Maybe the teams talent, location or whatever.

Point is, some team is gonna rather trade for his services, than bid on him on E-bay in FA.

I happen believe the Jets are that team.

Don't get me wrong, it wont be for a kings ransom.

But it will be more, than a 3rd rd compensatory pick the Redskins would receive watching Cousins walk out the front door.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

There's a couple of ways yes, and about 27 million ways it's okay too.

If he signs so late they likely either cant afford him to sign but at that point other teams wont be able to pay him what he wants either if redskins do free agency at all. Seems like such a pitiful  game to play

30 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If he signs so late they likely either cant afford him to sign but at that point other teams wont be able to pay him what he wants either if redskins do free agency at all. Seems like such a pitiful  game to play

But it already counts toward the cap? If they tag him, it's done on their end.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So he gets $28.8 million to hold a clipboard or the Skins trade him for peanuts and he's a FA next year after pocketing $28.8 million...

Doesn't sound all that bad...

Archived