DJ" Kirk wasn't a leader "

Dashing202

So I keep reading that we can or we can or can't . . 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

so if we tag him he would have to sign it and agree to a deal. If he doesn't than he takes the 32 mil and sit down .

From what I understand we do have some good news tho . I think the Browns might be more attractive than you think .hes 30 mins away from his home and the Browns have a new front office . They do also give him the money .

the jets have a lot of cap and it's New York which is cool to live when your rich.

the broncos are somewhere he would like to go .even if it's for a one year deal .

the jags and Vikings have tons of caps and there good.

arizona a pretty underrated place to live .

i think he would intact sign and allow a trade . His options are limited either way. If he sits down next year fellas no one gonna give him a huge contract . 

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Redskins will "consider" placing the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins.

The Redskins are committed to Alex Smith as their starting quarterback but could conceivably tag Cousins and trade him to a quarterback-needy team for draft picks. This way the Redskins would also have some influence over where Cousins lands rather than letting him hit free agency and sign with a team of his choosing. Of course, Washington wouldn't be able to execute a trade until Cousins signs his $34.5 million franchise tender, which he could put off for weeks or even months while still counting against the Redskins' salary cap. The Redskins would also lose out on a 2019 compensatory pick if they choose to tag Cousins. Ultimately, we expect Cousins to hit the open market.

Kirk Cousins - QB -  Redskins

Paul Allen of KFAN Minneapolis reports the Vikings are "number one with a bullet" on Kirk Cousins' wish list.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer agrees that Minnesota would be a "prime location" for the impending free agent. Cousins has garnered widespread interest since Washington traded for Alex Smith last week with the Broncos, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets and Vikings emerging as his top suitors. Cousins reportedly has a desire to "win right away," which would make Minnesota an appealing destination. The Vikings also boast one of the league's strongest receiving duos in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. With Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Case Keenum all headed for free agency, the NFC runner-ups will be aggressive in pursuing a quarterback this offseason.
Related: Vikings

Feb 4 - 10:51 AM
Kirk Cousins - QB -  Redskins

Ex-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has joined the Browns as a personnel consultant for the upcoming draft.

This will be his first NFL assignment since being let go by the Redskins last March. McCloughan has an expansive background in scouting, having begun his career as an area scout for the Packers in 1994. The Browns have 12 picks in April's draft including six in the top 65.

Feb 4 - 10:14 AM

22 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I think they should do it it, and if he doesn’t sign they would force his hand. There’s a team that will want him now and can and will want to do a trade

Or he'll just sign it and sit out for you. Honestly this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen a team do in my whole life of watching football. Snyder has cemented himself as the worst owner in all of sports. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Or he'll just sign it and sit out for you. Honestly this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen a team do in my whole life of watching football. Snyder has cemented himself as the worst owner in all of sports. 

Agree, its extremely risky. If he signs, and is traded, he wont be sitting. but if we cant get a trade partner, than that is the worst part. Its high risk, but could be high reward. 

It’s a good idea but I don’t think other teams will bite. Why would they at this point if we already traded for Alex Smith?

They couldn’t even get the tag & trade Cousins part right! They screwed the pooch on that too!

Horrible, just horrible!

Also, they shouldn’t have $35 million tied up in Cousins to start free agency. If they do, then they could lose Zach Brown and other free agents they want to keep and they won’t be able to sign an upgrade at CB, LG, NT, RB or WR if they want to.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s a good idea but I don’t think other teams will bite. Why would they at this point if we already traded for Alex Smith?

They will want to be THE team to get dibs on Kirk before the others do? 

I don't know. It does seem incredibly risky, and I'd probably just settle for the safe 3rd rd comp in 2019. 

... but just maybe it can work, and produce better comp for the Redskins? 

15 minutes ago, mike23md said:

If we franchise tag him, and we trade him, Cleveland and Buffalo are the only 2 teams that have first round picks. Buffalo would make the most sense in this case considering they have a better shot of being playoff contenders.

This only applies if the Browns or Bills tender Cousins while under the franchise tag. In that case, the Redskins would almost assuredly let him walk and take their two first round picks.

That's not going to happen since both teams will just wait for the Redskins to remove the franchise tag. Alternatively, they might offer a 2018 third round pick on the off chance the Redskins can convince Cousins to accept the trade. The Browns could do it (since as @Dashing202 mentioned in the McCloughan piece, the Browns have 12 picks and the cap space to absorb Cousins). The Bills are less likely since they would immediately be in cap non-compliance if they made the deal, but they'd only need to clear about $4-5M or so to be okay. It could be done, but it would hinder their flexibility in free agency.

49 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Minny make sense if they want to trade for cousins . Winning team and I bet they wouldn't mind giving up there late first round pick .

I get why Cousins has the Vikings as his "number one [choice] with a bullet." What I don't understand is why the Vikings would be so gung ho. While I'm not the biggest Case Keenum fan, I don't see how Minnesota gets away from him and/or Teddy Bridgewater in exchange for a guy who hasn't played in their system at a significant financial cost.

And now we're talking about them sending the Redskins a first round pick for the privilege? When they have valid in-house options? Why?

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why sit out ? 

If he sits out that'd be a first. 

52 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I think they should do it it, and if he doesn’t sign they would force his hand. There’s a team that will want him now and can and will want to do a trade

If the Redskins franchise Cousins, the following things occur:

1. The Redskins offer Cousins a fully guaranteed, one year deal for approximately $34.5M.
  2. The Redskins have $34.5M in cap space eaten up by the franchise tender (currently their cap space is projected at $36.2M, leaving them at $1.7M in cap space). This number includes Alex Smith.
    1. Could free up $7.9M if they cut Josh Norman, but must do it by March 18th, at which point Norman's salary fully guarantees.
    2. Could free up $6.1M if they cut Ryan Kerrigan.
    3. Could free up $4.7M if they cut Jordan Reed, but must do it by March 18th, at which point Reed's salary fully guarantees.
    4. Could free up $4.5M if they cut Trent Williams.
    5. Could free up $3.0M if they cut Colt McCoy.
    6. Could free up $2.6M if they cut Brandon Scherff.
    7. Could free up $1.7M if they cut D.J. Swearinger, but must do it by March 18th, at which point Swearinger's salary fully guarantees.
    8. Could free up $1.6M if they cut Stacy McGee.
    9. Could free up $1.2M if they cut Vernon Davis.
    10. Could free up $1.2M if they cut Chris Thompson.
    11. Could free up $1.2M if they cut Ziggy Hood.
    12. Could free up $1.0M if they cut Tress Way.
    13. Other cuts could be done but they're most targeting playing on rookie contracts.
    14. Outside of McCoy, McGee, and Hood, none of those cuts is worth making and even McCoy comes with high risk (since they wouldn't have a QB on the roster behind Smith when the season begins)
  3. Kirk has few options
    1. He cannot negotiate with anyone but the Redskins. There is no scenario where he or his camp actually negotiate at this point since they admitted that the only reason they franchised Cousins was in an attempt to get something in exchange for his leaving.
    2. He can choose to sign the tender and get the $35M contract and remove most of the teams from being trading partners due to his exorbitant cap hit. He could further declare that he will not sign a long term deal with any team who signs him to further weaken the market.
      1. Given that this would be the third franchise tag that he has been assigned, his new team cannot franchise again next season (nor can any other team for the rest of his career).
      2. The Redskins might get a late round pick from a team, or something down the road. But more likely than not, Washington keeps Kirk. Whether they play him or not is their call. But at this point, they'll have spent nearly $50M in cap space in two QBs.
    3. Alternatively, he can choose not to sign the tender but to sit on the Redskins cap as a hold and lock up their ability to do much of anything in free agency. The game plan here is that he waits until the Redskins revoke the tag and make him an unrestricted free agent. This is what most teams will expect happen and thus they won't send any picks to the Redskins. Also, this means the Redskins get nothing for him.

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

I get why Cousins has the Vikings as his "number one [choice] with a bullet." What I don't understand is why the Vikings would be so gung ho. While I'm not the biggest Case Keenum fan, I don't see how Minnesota gets away from him and/or Teddy Bridgewater in exchange for a guy who hasn't played in their system at a significant financial cost.

And now we're talking about them sending the Redskins a first round pick for the privilege? When they have valid in-house options? Why?

Kirks proven more than Keenum.

If Vikings feel he's the guy they'll give us a late first and a contract . 

A second rounder is fine by me as well as long as we are getting something .

rememver .. the Vikings DID give up anfirst before with Bradford .

Archived