DJ" Kirk wasn't a leader "

Dashing202

Just now, Dashing202 said:

rememver .. the Vikings DID give up anfirst before with Bradford .

Which they did on the cusp of the regular season when their franchise QB went down with a catastrophic knee injury. It's a completely different situation than before free agency and the draft.

Keep in mind, they've got three QBs to choose from, one of whom took them to the NFC Championship Game. They can keep any of those three with a franchise tag, which will be cheaper financially than Kirk. This also assumes that the Vikings don't win their arbitration as to whether Teddy Bridgewater's contract tolled or not, and thus is still under their control.

Kirk not sitting out fellas .

even if no one trades for him during the off-season , teams will get desperate during the regular season.

what if the Jaguars say you know what let's trade the skins for cousins . Thinfs happen.

do the tag anyway it's a good risk , I don't see Kirk sitting down . If he respects the redskins players than he isn't gonna do something holding them back . That's unfair to the players .

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which they did on the cusp of the regular season when their franchise QB went down with a catastrophic knee injury. It's a completely different situation than before free agency and the draft.

Keep in mind, they've got three QBs to choose from, one of whom took them to the NFC Championship Game. They can keep any of those three with a franchise tag, which will be cheaper financially than Kirk. This also assumes that the Vikings don't win their arbitration as to whether Teddy Bridgewater's contract tolled or not, and thus is still under their control.

Bradford- always injured

teddy- might be back or not . He is no where near as good as Kirk. Also coming back from a big injury 

Keenum -30 years old one year wonder.

the Vikings can give us a 2nd rounder and or conditional pick next year if he makes the probowl .

a team will bite look how teams tried to trade for smith. And a lot of people predicted him to be released 

we will be succesful if Kirk is tagged . He won't just say no and sit down , he has his options and if broncos want him than he will sign there . They can open up the cap to obtain him and if Vikings want Kirk they'll have him.

sitting down is BS at this point . We are overrating that factor.

who here gonna sit down cause they hate the management ?

money is money and this is his final chance to get the contract he desires . 

45 minutes ago, Woz said:

This only applies if the Browns or Bills tender Cousins while under the franchise tag. In that case, the Redskins would almost assuredly let him walk and take their two first round picks.

That's not going to happen since both teams will just wait for the Redskins to remove the franchise tag. Alternatively, they might offer a 2018 third round pick on the off chance the Redskins can convince Cousins to accept the trade. The Browns could do it (since as @Dashing202 mentioned in the McCloughan piece, the Browns have 12 picks and the cap space to absorb Cousins). The Bills are less likely since they would immediately be in cap non-compliance if they made the deal, but they'd only need to clear about $4-5M or so to be okay. It could be done, but it would hinder their flexibility in free agency.

Since when does a player get a choice in whether or not they are traded?

18 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Kirks proven more than Keenum.

If Vikings feel he's the guy they'll give us a late first and a contract . 

A second rounder is fine by me as well as long as we are getting something .

rememver .. the Vikings DID give up anfirst before with Bradford .

No one is giving up anything close to that for Cousins. They would laugh at the Redskins and tell them, "Have fun with 45 million committed to your starting QB"

Then they'd just wait for the Redskins to pull the tag, like the Panthers did with Norman

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

No one is giving up anything close to that for Cousins. They would laugh at the Redskins and tell them, "Have fun with 45 million committed to your starting QB"

Then they'd just wait for the Redskins to pull the tag, like the Panthers did with Norman

Why wouldnt they give up anything for Kirk ?. If smith gotten a third rounder I don't see how Kirk doesn't get atleast a second round pick.

ok cool than I guess Kirk wasn't all that. Because a team that feels if a  QB is one step closer to the SB isn't just gonna sit there and wait next year . 

I understand you hate the FO but come on dude . Let's stop acting like no team would trade for Kirk . Like you said elway a sucky GM so your saying he doesn't give us a second round pick?.

13 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Choice or not Kirks options are what they are . I don't see anyone offering a big contract again if he sits down . Like that's greedy for someone to hold a team back because he hates ownership.

Just now, Dashing202 said:

Why wouldnt they give up anything for Kirk ?. If smith gotten a third rounder I don't see how Kirk doesn't get atleast a second round pick.

ok cool than I guess Kirk wasn't all that. Because a team that feels if a  QB is one step closer to the SB isn't just gonna sit there and wait next year . 

I understand you hate the FO but come on dude . Let's stop acting like no team would trade for Kirk . Like you said elway a sucky GM so your saying he doesn't give us a second round pick?.

Because they can wait until he's cut. If the Redskins franchise Cousins, it's 35 million against the cap. That means the Skins have no cap space remaining. None. Every team knows this. Every team will simply play hardball with them. No one is going to trade more than a 3rd  rounder that they will get back when  Cousins bolts for free agency. And that's only the most desperate of teams. 

Bruce Allen is the moron running a bunch of yes men. 

4 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Choice or not Kirks options are what they are . I don't see anyone offering a big contract again if he sits down . Like that's greedy for someone to hold a team back because he hates ownership.

You are blind to the current NFL. Blake Bortles is looking at having a 17 million option picked up. Alex Smith just got 71 million guaranteed. Teams were talking to Tony Romo this season. 

Cousins could sit out the whole year and still get a deal.

14 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Bradford- always injured

teddy- might be back or not . He is no where near as good as Kirk. Also coming back from a big injury 

Keenum -30 years old one year wonder.

Totally agree with Bradford, and he's never been really an option for the Vikings going forward. It's between Keenum and Bridgewater. The injury is now two years in the past, so I don't think you can focus on that. There was a rumor that Shurmur was going to bring Keenum to his new franchise, but now that he's with the Giants (and Eli isn't going anywhere this year), that seems less likely especially with the Giants holding the #2 pick

So, while they may not be better than Kirk in a statistical way, both Keenum and Bridgewater have an advantage: they know the system and their fellow players. Do not discount knowing those little tendencies as minor things. They're also not something you can pick up on quickly, but months if not years of working together day in and day out.

20 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

the Vikings can give us a 2nd rounder and or conditional pick next year if he makes the probowl .

a team will bite look how teams tried to trade for smith. And a lot of people predicted him to be released 

1. Yes, the Vikings could, but why would they?
  2. Teams only tried to trade for Smith once they heard the Redskins were dealing for Smith. They expected him to be released. Also, unlike with Cousins, there was an expectation that you could sign Smith for more than the following year.
22 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

we will be succesful if Kirk is tagged . He won't just say no and sit down , he has his options and if broncos want him than he will sign there . They can open up the cap to obtain him and if Vikings want Kirk they'll have him.

sitting down is BS at this point . We are overrating that factor.

Keep in mind, if the Redskins tag Kirk, the Vikings are much more likely to tag one of their own than worry about trying to get a suitable deal done with Washington.

You keep saying "sitting down." That implies that Kirk will sit out a season. That's not going to happen because the Redskins would keep his rights. He'll play wherever goes (yes, even if he stays in Washington, provided the coaching staff lets him).

45 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

who here gonna sit down cause they hate the management ?

money is money and this is his final chance to get the contract he desires . 

Barring injury, he probably has two major contracts left in his career.

46 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If he or his camp announces that he will not sign a long term deal with a team who is going to be traded to, he lowers the likelihood that the trade actually happens especially when you consider the new team will not be able to franchise him again after the 2018 season.

35 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Because the other teams realize that the Redskins don't have much leverage due to their cap being wrecked. They don't have to pay the premium when the Redskins are the ones in trouble.

Skins are in the drivers seat, imo & will tag & trade him my fellow skins fans.

How do I know?

Because even if all they get is a 3rd rd draft choice for him?

Which would repay back what they traded for Smith. A 3rd

the team trading for him, would have at least a 1 yr rental.

So even if Cousins left, without signing long term and bolted to FA?

They would receive 3rd in compensatory draft pick when cousins signed elsewhere.

So what am I saying?

The Redskins WILL tag him & get at worse....a 3rd rd draft choice in return.

It will be more, imo...though.

37 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

If the whole reason for the Redskins in franchising Cousins is for "business reasons," why is him signing the tag not business reasons as well?

Here's the likely dates as to when this standoff ends:

1. March 14 - It's possible that Cousins can say "okay, I cannot negotiate with any teams, but I can collect $35M guaranteed from you right now. So, thanks." This would remove a lot of the flexibility Cousins would have in determining where he plays in 2018, but it does give him $35M and the ability to determine where he goes in 2019. He wouldn't be sitting down, since his playing time would be decided solely by the coaching staff. Since I think he (as well as the rest of the league) would expect the Redskins will eventually remove the tag, I'd estimate the likelihood at 5% (probably less).
  2. April 16 - April 25 - This is when returning coaching staffs can start their offseason training programs (as well as the tail end of free agency). He could sign here and force the Redskins to allow him to play and train with the team. While there are some training pieces here, I doubt he moves yet. Likelihood: 5%
  3. April 27 - This is the Friday after the first round of the draft, but before the second round. By this point, most of the teams will have addressed their QB situation either in free agency or via the first round of the draft. So, Cousins' value for the other franchises drops and thus they won't be interested in trading for him.
  4. May 28 - This is when OTAs start. Cousins might sign here because at this point, teams are already planning for 2018 with their existing rosters.
  5. Early July - If the Redskins haven't removed the tag by now, Cousins will sign just to lock in the deal (preventing them from lowering the value of the contract).

Archived